Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Olympus OM-D EM-5 Discussion

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014921 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
3 Oct 2012 - 7:07 AM

I was estimating 100 shots per set of 2 batteries, hence 600 from 6 sets. I have no idea what the actual number should be, but back in the day, I would go for a day or 2 and easily take a thousand shots. We're not talking a vase on a table shots, or a model poseing; my preferred subjects are very mobile and fidgity.Wink From my shoot Monday morning I saved 689 out of 926, including 6 video clips. I changed the battery at about 900. Many of the ones I deleted were duplicates or triplicates. These were all shot in natural light, no flash. With flash I might have only taken 700 or so.Smile

I don't have the flash yet Paul, or the batteries.Grin

I like to be prepared, mainly because the majority of the time I'm out shooting, I don't have access to a shop.

Last Modified By StrayCat at 3 Oct 2012 - 7:10 AM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
3 Oct 2012 - 7:07 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
mikehit  56687 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
3 Oct 2012 - 8:49 AM

I dunno...buy a nice compact camera then double its pack size with 12 batteries.
Canon 7D anyone Wink

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
3 Oct 2012 - 11:27 AM

I got a free grip with my E-M5. Sold it immediately and brought the net price of the camera (body only) down to about £830, in that way despite being an early adopter. I suspect it will be a while before we see the price down to that level in the UK.

I have never regretted selling the grip. I am not a machine-gunner and find the battery life perfectly adequate - to the extent I haven't bothered getting a spare and have no current intention of doing so. Smile

mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
3 Oct 2012 - 12:10 PM

I'm getting the grip, but not to facilitate the use of a second battery. My reasons have more to do with (potential) handling improvements, particularly in portrait orientation.

That said, I do have a spare battery which came in handy at a recent all-day outdoor event (no charging options available, except by buying a solar-powered charger and waiting around for a few hours for it to work), and I'm no machine-gunner. I'm pretty sure that under normal circumstances, I won't need to carry a spare.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110366 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
3 Oct 2012 - 12:22 PM

that's exactly why I got the grip, I found the body on its own was too small for me to handle comfortably but with both parts attached it fits my hand very well.

To keep weight down I only ever have one battery on-board, in the grip for ease of change out

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315622 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
3 Oct 2012 - 1:55 PM

Quote: I have never regretted selling the grip. I am not a machine-gunner

How would the grip facilitate rapid fire, its been a fair few years since cameras took film.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
3 Oct 2012 - 2:03 PM

Quote: How would the grip facilitate rapid fire

I assume a battery grip allows you to shoot far more photos on a given charge in a given period. Surely that's one of the reasons for getting it?

Even machine-guns can be used in single-shot mode! Wink

rogerfry
rogerfry e2 Member 9509 forum postsrogerfry vcard United Kingdom
3 Oct 2012 - 2:22 PM

Quote: To keep weight down I only ever have one battery on-board, in the grip for ease of change out

You definitely need to start doing some exercises Brian.....the battery only weighs about 50g -(less than 2oz to us old folk) Grin Tongue

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110366 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
3 Oct 2012 - 2:27 PM

Quote: To keep weight down I only ever have one battery on-board, in the grip for ease of change out
You definitely need to start doing some exercises Brian.....the battery only weighs about 50g -(less than 2oz to us old folk) Grin Tongue

Every gramme counts over the day, what with gravity constantly trying to drag it out of my hands Tongue

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315622 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
3 Oct 2012 - 2:35 PM

Quote: I assume a battery grip allows you to shoot far more photos on a given charge in a given period

So would a spare battery in the pocket, if anyone's thinking of getting the grip to simply shoot more pictures, don`t bother, it only takes a few seconds to change a battery.

Carabosse
3 Oct 2012 - 2:38 PM

Quote: So would a spare battery in the pocket, if anyone's thinking of getting the grip to simply shoot more pictures, don`t bother, it only takes a few seconds to change a battery.

Agreed. For me, about 300 shots on a single charge would normally suffice - I don't think I have ever shot that many photos in a single day.

A spare battery in your pocket, if it is something crucial, is sensible though.

Weldingblues
3 Oct 2012 - 3:31 PM

I bought the grip before the camera, as upon trying at SRS. I found that the camera on its own did not sit right in my hands.

I have also found that in certain shooting locations the OMD is better than my K7 Pentax. Not to sure why that is, could be lens but I do not think that is the main reason.

Carabosse
3 Oct 2012 - 3:34 PM

I have fairly large hands but relatively slim fingers and find the E-M5 just fine as it is.

However, I can imagine that if you have what they call 'sausage fingers' a grip might be a help! Wink

brian1208
3 Oct 2012 - 3:40 PM

or, as in my case, medium sized hands. long but arthriticky fingers (not a sausage in sight! Grin )

What works for one may be uncomfortable for another, thank goodness the manufacturers provide options for those of us that need them, else I couldn't use the EM-5 as I would be constantly dropping it (and then I would really be needing my neckstrap! Wink )

Last Modified By brian1208 at 3 Oct 2012 - 3:42 PM
Paul Morgan
3 Oct 2012 - 3:42 PM

I`ve just realised that I have a kneck strap with quick release built in, so I`ve been ordered a grip wrist strap, I should be able to attach both at the same time Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.