Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Olympus OM-D EM-5 Discussion

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014804 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
4 Oct 2012 - 8:26 PM

And better music!!!Wink

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
4 Oct 2012 - 8:26 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110266 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
4 Oct 2012 - 8:33 PM

Quote: Houston will kill ya

I've only visited Houston once, for a conference during the Summer and to visit our research labs there.

It was a classic story, you come out of a cool air-conditioned hotel into the 90% humidity and 90 degF air in the canyon between the sky-scrapers and your glasses steam up (as do a man's nether regions Tongue )

(Mind you, its not so bad as Qatar in full sauna mode, gets to over 105 degf and around 100% hunidity at times in the Summer there!)

I soon came to appreciate the air conditioned underground malls you have in Houston Smile

AnneWorner
AnneWorner e2 Member 6612 forum postsAnneWorner vcard United States42 Constructive Critique Points
4 Oct 2012 - 8:34 PM

Quote: And better music!!!Wink

Oh yeah, Austin has that!

Here's one of the spider images. I'm getting jammed up with work, so gotta let the computer idle for some hours. This is a golden orb weaver (argiope aurantia) if I'm not mistaken. It is most likely a female due to her size. I took her body to be around 2" - don't know how big if the extended legs were to be included in the measurement!

20121004-50ps-copycon-copy.jpg

Last Modified By AnneWorner at 4 Oct 2012 - 8:35 PM
AnneWorner
AnneWorner e2 Member 6612 forum postsAnneWorner vcard United States42 Constructive Critique Points
4 Oct 2012 - 8:37 PM

Quote: Houston will kill ya

I've only visited Houston once, for a conference during the Summer and to visit our research labs there.

It was a classic story, you come out of a cool air-conditioned hotel into the 90% humidity and 90 degF air in the canyon between the sky-scrapers and your glasses steam up (as do a man's nether regions Tongue )

(Mind you, its not so bad as Qatar in full sauna mode, gets to over 105 degf and around 100% hunidity at times in the Summer there!)

I soon came to appreciate the air conditioned underground malls you have in Houston Smile

I do miss those underground malls!

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014804 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
4 Oct 2012 - 8:42 PM

Gorgeous shot of that spider Anne, a real winner.

We used to stay at a hotel in Houston attached to a pretty classy mall, the Galleria if I'm not mistaken, and didn't have to go outside. Smile

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139444 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
4 Oct 2012 - 8:48 PM

Great arachnid pic, Anne. Smile

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110266 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
4 Oct 2012 - 8:50 PM

That's a fearsome looking spider Anne, is it venemous, the colours look as it it may be? Good shot of it regardless

Looking through today's images I found another Dragon shot, this one perched for a brief moment with the sun directly behind it. As I had the FL600R on the hot-shoe I tried it as a fill-flash against the contrajour light. Its not bad but again, with more practise, I think it could be much better

(the spots on the wings and head are water drops from a nearby ornamental waterfall that it was patrolling)

dragon-backlit-with-flash.jpg

Last Modified By brian1208 at 4 Oct 2012 - 8:53 PM
rogerfry
rogerfry e2 Member 8509 forum postsrogerfry vcard United Kingdom
4 Oct 2012 - 9:18 PM

Great Spider and Dragon!.......I haven't got any insects, so I'll throw a Hyena into the mix.

p9170217.jpg

AnneWorner
4 Oct 2012 - 9:29 PM

Quote: Gorgeous shot of that spider Anne, a real winner.

We used to stay at a hotel in Houston attached to a pretty classy mall, the Galleria if I'm not mistaken, and didn't have to go outside. Smile

I will get back to work - soon Smile Ah, the Galleria - classy is a good word for it? Thanks for the feedback on the spider.

AnneWorner
4 Oct 2012 - 9:31 PM

Quote: That's a fearsome looking spider Anne, is it venemous, the colours look as it it may be? Good shot of it regardless

Looking through today's images I found another Dragon shot, this one perched for a brief moment with the sun directly behind it. As I had the FL600R on the hot-shoe I tried it as a fill-flash against the contrajour light. Its not bad but again, with more practise, I think it could be much better

(the spots on the wings and head are water drops from a nearby ornamental waterfall that it was patrolling)

Brian that is one fine shot of that dragonfly. Looks like it is bathed in sunlight - would not have guessed fill-in flash.

No, the spider is entirely beneficial Smile I think the only two venemous spiders we have here are the black widow and the recluse. I've a nice tarantula somewhere in the yard, but that's another beneficial one.

AnneWorner
4 Oct 2012 - 9:32 PM

Roger, hyenas in the mix - most welcome. Really good natural shot of it.

And it's a lot nicer in here than in the VS gallery Wink

StrayCat
4 Oct 2012 - 9:35 PM

Like that dragon Brian; and a nice lurking shot of that hyena Roger.

Denny

StrayCat
4 Oct 2012 - 9:36 PM

I'll have to find something to post.Smile

AnneWorner
4 Oct 2012 - 9:40 PM

There is a tiny pink chrysalis visible in the image I posted of the interior of the hatching container. This is the queen that emerged from that - a female. This shortly after eclosure. I happened to walk by when she was emerging and didn't have the camera in hand - darn!

She's pumping fluid from her abdomen into her wings. You can see some of the scales from her wings attached on the inside of the now empty casing. How cool.

Olympus EM-5 - 45mm/4x close-up filter.

(I'm letting the site reduce this one for me - no time! lol)

20121002-03.jpg

rogerfry
rogerfry e2 Member 8509 forum postsrogerfry vcard United Kingdom
4 Oct 2012 - 9:40 PM

Quote: And it's a lot nicer in here than in the VS gallery Wink

Too many losses....I opted out Sad

Was the spider with the kit lens?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.