Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Olympus OM-D EM-5 Discussion

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110227 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
7 Oct 2012 - 8:29 PM

Thanks, I think Stonechat as the Winchat has a white eyebar (and is much less common than the Stonechat which is very common on Hengistbury Head) but I have been wrong before Wink

Here's another tight crop from this morning, a female Blackcap but in this case I let the SAF do the work and it focused on the branch junction just above and to the right of the eye (this was a grab shot before the bird took fright)

blackcap-female.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 Oct 2012 - 8:29 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014636 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
7 Oct 2012 - 9:44 PM

FYI, I have been advised to get out and take some images by a number of people in the past 24 hours; I just checked the shutter count on my E-M5, which I started using on the 1st day of May, 2012, it is 20,273 actuations. I think that gives me a pretty good daily count.Grin

Denny

Instructions can be found here; Diagnostics for E-M5 Use at your own risk.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110227 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
7 Oct 2012 - 9:58 PM

amazing how quickly they build up isn't Denny - I sometimes worry about the shutter life on this thing as I seem to be racking up the numbers too.

Has anyone seen anything about this?

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014636 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
7 Oct 2012 - 10:08 PM

I haven't Brian.

For some time now I have been using Multi-Segment metering, as opposed to Spot, which has always been my preference. I am much happier with this setup for what I've been doing, far less jumping about of the selected focus point. I am finding it settles and gives me the point I want immediately, even the eye of a butterfly in bad lighting at about 1/25s to 1/80s, which much of what Ive been doing recently has been. For me, it's like a new and improved camera system over the struggles I was having using Spot metering. The only misses I'm getting with the focal point now are my unsteady hands.Grin Try it, you'll like it.Wink

Denny

Last Modified By StrayCat at 7 Oct 2012 - 10:10 PM
StrayCat
7 Oct 2012 - 10:12 PM

Quote: .........This is a re-post of the shot I put up (on page 147) where you said try increasing the contrast a little. Now re-worked and slightly cropped.....how does it look on your screen?

Much better here Roger. Not as bright and hazy looking as before. Excellent!

Denny

mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
7 Oct 2012 - 10:16 PM

Quote: I think Stonechat as the Winchat has a white eyebar (and is much less common than the Stonechat which is very common on Hengistbury Head)

On reflection, I agree. Besides, local knowledge carries a lot a weight, in my opinion, and it's been very many years since I was in that part of the country. Even then, I was rarely on or around Hengistbury Head.

Nice shot of the Blackcap too, despite the camera getting distracted by the twig.

Last Modified By mdpontin at 7 Oct 2012 - 10:18 PM
brian1208
7 Oct 2012 - 11:09 PM

Quote: For some time now I have been using Multi-Segment metering

Me too, I'm only using spot when the light is particularly unbalanced but even then I'm more likely to use manual control and get what I want that way.

With these small birds at distance I find that even with the focus point on single point with 14X mag it can fairly easily get distracted (as with the Blackcap), so I try to avoid the situation whenever possible Smile

The trick with SAF+M is proving my favourite for greater focus accuracy whenever the situation requres it and time allows (not always the case)

I suspect however that we are all finding the more we use the system the better its getting? Wink

mdpontin
8 Oct 2012 - 12:25 AM

Agreed. It's just a case of getting used to the way it works, and learning to get the best out of it.

Like you (Denny and Brian), I mostly use ESP, but will occasionally switch to Spot where I think it's appropriate. Either way, I will often dial in exposure compensation to tweak the result to suit my taste where necessary - a task which seems particularly intuitive with the way this camera is designed.

What I really need to do now - and hopefully will get the chance in the coming week - is to experiment more with the E-M5 in my favourite type of photography: landscape. There's a big (literally!) difference between the little Olympus and my EOS 5D, and I have my doubts that I'll be able to reach the point of selling off the Canon. But we'll see.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
8 Oct 2012 - 1:09 AM

Quote: I mostly use ESP

A bit of mind-reading does help! Grin Tongue

............................ yes, I know - coat/door! Wink

mdpontin
8 Oct 2012 - 6:58 AM

Grin

Yes we'll it's a step up from blind guesswork. Grin

StrayCat
8 Oct 2012 - 10:09 PM

Just got home from another productive day, 509 shots saved. Today I tried useing the small flash that came with the camera, and discovered that for a dull day, it just barely gives enough light for close subjects, but only at about 1/200, or more resonably 1/100s at ISO 800. Today is a holiday so I didn't get the new flash.Tongue

Denny

Weldingblues
8 Oct 2012 - 10:09 PM

Back again, been getting prints ready for a competition (sorry Pentax shots this time).

Brian, thanks for the info about the IS setting etc. I will try it out ASAP.

Is it possible to program Fn2 button to change the IS setting? I have read the manual but could not find any information about it.

brian1208
8 Oct 2012 - 10:15 PM

Colin, I hope to hear how you make out trying some of my ideas. I haven't found how to customise a button for IS but using the OK button to call up SCP works well for me anyway

I'm hoping to have a happy day tomorrow when, Parcel Force willing, I should receive my Oly 60mm macro

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
8 Oct 2012 - 10:17 PM

Really looking forward to seeing how you get on with the 60mm macro, Brian. If anyone can get the best out of it, you can. Smile

Might consider this instead of the 45mm/f1.8, although it's much more pricey, of course.

brian1208
8 Oct 2012 - 10:26 PM

Thanks CB - no pressure then! Wink

I was playing with ISO to see how far I can push it and still get something useful. This is a shot at ISO6400 of a print of a ChiffChaff I have hanging on my office wall. Noisy at full size with loss of detail / sharpness but perfectly useable for an 12"x8" print

iso-6400-chiffchaff.jpg

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.