Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Olympus OM-D EM-5 Discussion

brian1208 e2
11 10.4k 12 United Kingdom
9 Oct 2012 7:08AM
neat positioning of the wings Denny, that's the sort pfButterfly shot I like to get when the chance permits. I love the "Startled" look on its "face"

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

brian1208 e2
9 Oct 2012 7:20AM
dyslexic keyboard again, sorry Smile
StrayCat e2
10 15.0k 2 Canada
9 Oct 2012 7:28AM
Yeah, I thought I'd better say what it is with that face, looks cartoonish.Smile

Btw Brian, the above shots were all with the little kit flash. It was a dull cloudy day, and only natural light in the Conservatories.

Denny
brian1208 e2
9 Oct 2012 8:14AM
I find that little flash very good for this type of use when out and about
brian1208 e2
9 Oct 2012 12:37PM
Its arrived Grin
But, of course, the weather is foul with horrible dank grey drizzly sky and very poor light so all I have to play with is me Orchids + flash.

Here's the first effort with natural light, ISO 400, f4.5 and 1/250th sec, focused on the front curl, hand-held. Its been given a bit of a crop and a tweak for exposure / lightness + a touch of sharpening

Please treat as a worst case pic, with more light and a better subject this lens is going to shine!

Handling is fun and it feels very much like the 12-50 kit lens in size and weight although a better build quality feel to it.

60mm-macro-phalenopsis.jpg

AnneWorner e2
7 614 42 United States
9 Oct 2012 12:44PM
Logged in this morning to some wonderful images from you Denny and now this first orchid macro from you Brian.

I am seeing some chromatic aberration around that one petal in the back, but only there? - they were stating that this would be less of a problem with this lens.

I'll be watching this thread for more shots with this lens - the rep I talked with at Olympus stated it was capable of some excellent detail. He cited taking a photo of a one cent piece and that he saw detail in the photo he wasn't even aware was on the coin just looking at it normally.
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
9 Oct 2012 1:10PM
Love Denny's butterfly shot (and the other pics too) - not sure I've seen a butterfly at this angle! Brian's orchid looks promising and I'm sure he'll get some great shots with the 60mm macro. Smile
rogerfry e2
9 509 United Kingdom
9 Oct 2012 1:11PM
Very nice close-ups Denny.....the little flash seems quite adequate for that type of work.

Brian....do not post any good macro shots....my bank manager's developing a nervous tic !
brian1208 e2
9 Oct 2012 2:10PM
I'm in love with this lens even before the weather clears and I can go "bugging". Compared to the 45mm Panny macro this lens has a much more open clarity (an almost glass-like transparency is the best way I can describe it) and is so sharp its a bit shocking, it definitely will need care with portrait work.

In no particular order here are a few more more general shots just to give a feel for how its performing

60m-macro-fishing.jpg

60mmm-macro-apples.jpg

60mm-macro-early-the-bear.jpg

60mm-macro-pam.jpg

I hauled back the Clarity slider for the portratit by around -50 to soften the detail a bit, even so the eyes are nice and sharp

No added sharpening on any of these it as they came out of the camera
AnneWorner e2
7 614 42 United States
9 Oct 2012 2:16PM
You're shooting in jpg? What are your settings in the camera, please. Maybe for portraiture, a wider aperture?
They certainly are sharp and the detail is superb. W.o.w.
brian1208 e2
9 Oct 2012 2:22PM
Sorry Anne, should have said, I normally only shoot RAW, which is the case here

The portrait was f5.6 but I will be trying down to f3.2 in future as it is still very sharp even then. I can't wait to get this into the Studio and try some dance / movement work with it
brian1208 e2
9 Oct 2012 2:36PM
one last one for today - I promise Smile

As the results were so sharp I wondered how it would work with the 2XTC activated, shooting in LF JPEG.

There are some artefacts visible with f5.6 but I'm impressed. (cropped a tad and resized for here but otherwise straight from the camera)

Sorry about the subject but they are old friends and great stand-ins when the weather is bad and there is no wild-life to shoot (they also play music and dance - blame my sister-in-law, she has a warped sense of humour! Grin )

60mm-toys-2xtc.jpg

AnneWorner e2
7 614 42 United States
9 Oct 2012 2:44PM

Quote:Sorry Anne, should have said, I normally only shoot RAW, which is the case here

The portrait was f5.6 but I will be trying down to f3.2 in future as it is still very sharp even then. I can't wait to get this into the Studio and try some dance / movement work with it

Ok then, Smile, what settings are you using in RAW? Are you using Lightroom or Viewer 2 to develop the images.

BTW, I like the stuffed animals - I have a few of these around the house too Wink
brian1208 e2
9 Oct 2012 2:59PM
Anne, I'm using LR4.2 for the processing, the FL600R on-board to help with lighting,

camera settings:

aperture f8 apart from the portrait which was f5.6
shutter speed 1/200th - 1/250th
manual exposure mode
SAF+M single shot focus mode
Focus assist via the LCD light (the light is that bad in the house at the moment)

in LR4.2:

Colour auto or daylight
Exposure: + .5 to + .9
Shadow +42 for the fishing boat otherwise zero
all other controls set to standard default

My wife collects stuffed toys and then the Grandchildren "Hospitalise" them with plasters / bandages / red ink gore etc Grin I must do a shoot using them one day
AnneWorner e2
7 614 42 United States
9 Oct 2012 3:04PM
Thanks for that Brian. I was specifically interested which settings you have in-camera; ie sharpness, contrast, colour space, noise reduction settings. I was wondering what happens when I use LR instead of Viewer 2 for the processing. Does Lightroom translate the RAW file using the camera settings.

I've been processing some to tifs with the Oly Viewer where in processing I can change the settings.

Don't know if I'm making myself clear.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.