Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Olympus OM-D EM-5 Discussion

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110265 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
9 Oct 2012 - 3:51 PM

Gotcha, sorry I misunderstood to start with.

I don't think that the LR4.2 takes any account of the camera settings and mine are pretty basic.

I've got it set to srgb colour space, +1 on the vivid slider everything else to Olympus default

The LR4.2 only has the Adobe standard colour option so can't transcribe any of the Olympus colour versions (which I think the Olympus viewer does) but you can create you own versions and save them in LR4 so you don't have to recreate them every time

I treat every image as a unique opportunity to play so haven't created and saved any colour profiles

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
9 Oct 2012 - 3:51 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

AnneWorner
AnneWorner e2 Member 6606 forum postsAnneWorner vcard United States42 Constructive Critique Points
9 Oct 2012 - 3:53 PM

Thanks Brian Smile

rogerfry
rogerfry e2 Member 8509 forum postsrogerfry vcard United Kingdom
9 Oct 2012 - 5:19 PM

A very impressive set of results Brian....particularly considering they're un-sharpened RAW. The 2XTC looks good as well. Smile

Bank manager beware! Tongue

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110265 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
9 Oct 2012 - 5:24 PM

Quote: The 2XTC looks good as well.

I'm still not yet convinced I wouldn't get a better result with a 50% crop of a RAW file. If time permits I may do a comparison at some point

Quote: Bank manager beware

Explain to him that people Like you and I are single-handedly trying to restart the economy

(my excuse is that I still haven't anywhere near spent all my money from the sale of my canon kit yet - so my wife can't moan at me - Happy Days! Grin )

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014784 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
9 Oct 2012 - 5:55 PM

Don't get me started on our stuffed animals, our grandchildren spend the weekends with us, and there's hardly room for my wife and me when they bring out the dolls and teddy bears.Grin

I had no doubts about what this lens would be Brian, and with your skills, it's a given.

I'd love to have one right now, but with winter right around the corner, I won't have much use for it; think I'll wait till spring, if I'm able.Smile

AnneWorner
AnneWorner e2 Member 6606 forum postsAnneWorner vcard United States42 Constructive Critique Points
9 Oct 2012 - 6:30 PM

Brian, is the sun shining these days. I'd love to see the bokeh on an outdoor shot - f/2.8 Smile I'm a bokeholic.

brian1208
9 Oct 2012 - 6:42 PM

chucking it down with rain, misty, grey and now dark so no Anne, no Sun Sad

I'll maybe have a chance to do some bokeh-rich shots for you tomorrow tomorrow but it will depend on the Weather Gods (who don't like the South of England much at the moment)

mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
9 Oct 2012 - 8:03 PM

We're supposed to get about 3" rain tomorrow night, up here in Scotland. However I can't complain, as it's been fine for the last few days.

I'm looking forward to seeing those bokeh-rich shots too. Although I have a suspicion that they'll just make the 60mm all the more tempting...even though I haven't done much (i.e. any) macro work to date.

One final (probably) comment regarding the grip strap - I've removed the battery from in the camera, and intend to only use the battery compartment in the battery grip from now on, at least most of the time. I can't envisage many occasions when I wouldn't be able to spare a minute to swap the battery with the spare, so the penalty of not having the capability to automatically switch from one to t'other is not really a problem. That spares me the fiddle of removing and reattaching the grip strap. I definitely feel that the camera handles better with the grip attached, though (both parts).

Last Modified By mdpontin at 9 Oct 2012 - 8:05 PM
brian1208
9 Oct 2012 - 9:12 PM

just spent a happy hour with the 60mm + em-5 on my tripod shooting into a smal light tent with a black velvet back drop.

Got a nice image for an upcoming club comp + dug out some old trout flies and did a bit of macro work with them using the fl600R flash

I like this combo a lot, can't wait to use it on "proper" subjects Smile

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014784 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
10 Oct 2012 - 7:16 AM

I picked up my FL36 at the post today, and gave it a tryout at a couple of exibitions at the Zoo this afternoon. I think I need one of those white plastic things to soften the light at times. It gives me the distance I was hoping for, and then some. I got well over 300 shots on one set of RayOvac AAs, not rechargeables, which I have on order, I'm more than pleased. I also have an off-camera cable on order. From my experience today with the FL36, which is giving me detail and sharpness in areas that I was missing before, and the kit flash yesterday, I think it'll do the job.

Here's a sample;

pa090208-001-copy.jpg

E-M5, Panasonic 100-300mm, and FL36 on TTL Auto.

Last Modified By StrayCat at 10 Oct 2012 - 7:18 AM
brian1208
10 Oct 2012 - 8:01 AM

nice use of flash - it doesn't show! Grin

Anne will enjoy the Bokeh too

brian1208
10 Oct 2012 - 9:45 AM

Still rather poor light but I thought I would have a quick play before going out for a while (before it starts raining again! Sad )

a bit of a macro cliche but I quite liked this. F3.2, ISO400 1/200th sec. SAF half-press with final rock to refine focus. Its a Daddy Longlegs Spider which has just grabbed a Gnat

60mm-daddy-longlegs-spider-with-gnat-f3-2.jpg

The Dahlia was for Anne, an attempt to look at the bokeh but the light isn't really there. I does give an idea that it may be quite good though. f3.2 with ISO 400 and 1/400th sec

60mm-dahlia-f3-4-1-400th.jpg

brian1208
10 Oct 2012 - 2:42 PM

I had a bit more time and because the light is still dreadful popped the FL600R on the hot-shoe for a quick explore of the garden.

I found a very tatty looking Red Admiral that obliged by feeding for a bit so tried a bit more real "Macroing" with it.

I still need to get myself reset for real close work as I found it difficult to get the right angles + stability but here are a few that are beginning to get where I want to be

This is about 75% of the full frame image, cropped for a bit of composition

60mm-admiral-eye.jpg

and this one is around 50% as I pulled back a bit to get the tongue in shot

60mm-admiral-tongue.jpg

and just to get really close

60mm-admiral-face.jpg

AnneWorner
10 Oct 2012 - 2:50 PM

wowowowowow! what f/stop did you use for these. The detail is impressive.

Lens is still not available here Sad but my rebates came and I can use them toward the lens Grin

brian1208
10 Oct 2012 - 2:56 PM

Thanks Anne,

All at f8, ISO400, 1/200th - 1/250th sec, hand-held. Centre point (10X mag) in SAF mode with my usual "Rock to final Focus" technique

I reckon there is still a lot more detail to come with better light, faster shutter and improved technique (I'm very rusty at 1:1 macro still as I haven't done it for quite a while)

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.