Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Olympus OM-D EM-5 Discussion

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014852 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
10 Oct 2012 - 10:41 PM

Doug, out of curiosity, what was the aperture on that shot?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Oct 2012 - 10:41 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
10 Oct 2012 - 11:09 PM

I just checked the EXIF, Denny - it was f/7.1

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014852 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
10 Oct 2012 - 11:53 PM

Should have asked before, how about the focal length?

mdpontin
11 Oct 2012 - 12:04 AM

94mm Smile

StrayCat
11 Oct 2012 - 12:41 AM

Thanks Doug, that's not bad bokeh for that focal length.Smile

Denny

StrayCat
11 Oct 2012 - 12:44 AM

Here's one I took today, f7.1, 300mm, 1/200s using the FL36;

pa100206-001-copy.jpg

StrayCat
11 Oct 2012 - 5:19 AM

pa100165-copy.jpg

These shots were taken in the ENMAX Conservatory at the Calgary Zoo. This was all within 20 minutes drive for me to enjoy for years, but it took a visit with my 12 year old Grand Daughter one month ago to see it for what it is. I now see it as having an annual membership to one of the best nature studios in the world, for $65.00 including parking. It's open every day except Christmas Day, and I have full access to all of the facilities, including advice and information from the staff. To photograph all of the bits of nature from around the world in their native homelands, I figure I'd have to live at least a couple of lifetimes, and have free travel for life. The only deal that comes close is an E2 membership.Wink

Denny

Last Modified By StrayCat at 11 Oct 2012 - 5:19 AM
brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110307 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
11 Oct 2012 - 6:21 AM

that sounds a valuable resource to have so close to home Denny.
It looks as if you have the flash working well already Smile

mdpontin
11 Oct 2012 - 11:13 AM

Very nice, Denny. I wondered - a few years ago - whether or not to get a 1-year membership of the Royal Zoological Society, so that I could nip into Edinburgh Zoo (and the Highland Wildlife Park) whenever I felt like it without the need to take out a bank loan each time. Tongue I never did though. And now that there's Pandas at Edinburgh...well, maybe I should reconsider?

Right, I'm off for a few days. I'm taking the Canon EOS 5D (and a couple of 'L' lenses) with me, in addition to the OM-D E-M5. I expect to be taking mostly landscapes, and I've not quite convinced myself to abandon the Canon completely - the 5D is a well-respected choice for landscape work, after all! But I'm hoping that I can persuade myself that the E-M5 is more than adequate for my fairly modest needs. Besides, picking up the 5D with 24-70 f/2.8 L after using nothing but the Olympus for several weeks, was like toting a concrete block: huge and heavy! Wink

AnneWorner
AnneWorner e2 Member 6613 forum postsAnneWorner vcard United States42 Constructive Critique Points
11 Oct 2012 - 12:59 PM

Quote: Very nice, Denny. I wondered - a few years ago - whether or not to get a 1-year membership of the Royal Zoological Society, so that I could nip into Edinburgh Zoo (and the Highland Wildlife Park) whenever I felt like it without the need to take out a bank loan each time. Tongue I never did though. And now that there's Pandas at Edinburgh...well, maybe I should reconsider?

Right, I'm off for a few days. I'm taking the Canon EOS 5D (and a couple of 'L' lenses) with me, in addition to the OM-D E-M5. I expect to be taking mostly landscapes, and I've not quite convinced myself to abandon the Canon completely - the 5D is a well-respected choice for landscape work, after all! But I'm hoping that I can persuade myself that the E-M5 is more than adequate for my fairly modest needs. Besides, picking up the 5D with 24-70 f/2.8 L after using nothing but the Olympus for several weeks, was like toting a concrete block: huge and heavy! Wink

I'd be interested in seeing a couple of the landscape images - shot from same vantage point with both the cameras - a comparison would be interesting. Smile

AnneWorner
AnneWorner e2 Member 6613 forum postsAnneWorner vcard United States42 Constructive Critique Points
11 Oct 2012 - 5:47 PM

I've been checking some sites for reviews of the 60mm macro - I'm obsessed about not being able to get it yet Sad

Ming Thein

and

Robin Wong

Last Modified By AnneWorner at 11 Oct 2012 - 5:48 PM
mdpontin
11 Oct 2012 - 6:03 PM

Quote: I'd be interested in seeing a couple of the landscape images - shot from same vantage point with both the cameras - a comparison would be interesting. Smile

I'll see what I can do, Anne. At the moment it's pouring down with rain, and the cloud is sitting well down on the hills. Sad Mind you, it's also getting dark, so I wouldn't have much photography time left today anyway, and tomorrow is supposed to be better.

AnneWorner
11 Oct 2012 - 6:19 PM

Hope the weather turns around for you. Of course, you could stick to the EM-5 and kit 12-50 and test out the water tolerance. Aside from the weight of it, that was the main reason I bought this camera and lens combination. Smile

rogerfry
rogerfry e2 Member 9509 forum postsrogerfry vcard United Kingdom
11 Oct 2012 - 8:01 PM

Olympus 1 - Bank manager nil......macro ordered!

Brian, have you got any comparison shots using the kit lens on macro setting, and the 60mm macro? (If you have time, it would be interesting)

Last Modified By rogerfry at 11 Oct 2012 - 8:02 PM
mdpontin
11 Oct 2012 - 8:34 PM

Quote: Of course, you could stick to the EM-5 and kit 12-50 and test out the water tolerance. Aside from the weight of it, that was the main reason I bought this camera and lens combination. Smile

Well...I hope it won't come to that! Smile

I must admit that when I picked up the Canon combo again, I got a pretty good reminder of the size and weight difference with the E-M5. Either I'm getting old or getting lazy (or both!) but I know which I'd rather use! It's just that my head tells me that the Canon should be the better camera for landscapes. Wink

(Grr...hotel wifi keeps wanting me to log in every 5 minutes Sad)

Last Modified By mdpontin at 11 Oct 2012 - 8:36 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.