Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

  • NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here


PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Olympus OM-D EM-5 Discussion


StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
10 Oct 2012 10:41PM
Doug, out of curiosity, what was the aperture on that shot?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mdpontin 10 6.0k Scotland
10 Oct 2012 11:09PM
I just checked the EXIF, Denny - it was f/7.1
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
10 Oct 2012 11:53PM
Should have asked before, how about the focal length?
mdpontin 10 6.0k Scotland
11 Oct 2012 12:04AM
94mm Smile
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
11 Oct 2012 12:41AM
Thanks Doug, that's not bad bokeh for that focal length.Smile

Denny
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
11 Oct 2012 12:44AM
Here's one I took today, f7.1, 300mm, 1/200s using the FL36;

pa100206-001-copy.jpg

StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
11 Oct 2012 5:19AM
pa100165-copy.jpg



These shots were taken in the ENMAX Conservatory at the Calgary Zoo. This was all within 20 minutes drive for me to enjoy for years, but it took a visit with my 12 year old Grand Daughter one month ago to see it for what it is. I now see it as having an annual membership to one of the best nature studios in the world, for $65.00 including parking. It's open every day except Christmas Day, and I have full access to all of the facilities, including advice and information from the staff. To photograph all of the bits of nature from around the world in their native homelands, I figure I'd have to live at least a couple of lifetimes, and have free travel for life. The only deal that comes close is an E2 membership.Wink

Denny
brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2012 6:21AM
that sounds a valuable resource to have so close to home Denny.
It looks as if you have the flash working well already Smile
mdpontin 10 6.0k Scotland
11 Oct 2012 11:13AM
Very nice, Denny. I wondered - a few years ago - whether or not to get a 1-year membership of the Royal Zoological Society, so that I could nip into Edinburgh Zoo (and the Highland Wildlife Park) whenever I felt like it without the need to take out a bank loan each time. Tongue I never did though. And now that there's Pandas at Edinburgh...well, maybe I should reconsider?

Right, I'm off for a few days. I'm taking the Canon EOS 5D (and a couple of 'L' lenses) with me, in addition to the OM-D E-M5. I expect to be taking mostly landscapes, and I've not quite convinced myself to abandon the Canon completely - the 5D is a well-respected choice for landscape work, after all! But I'm hoping that I can persuade myself that the E-M5 is more than adequate for my fairly modest needs. Besides, picking up the 5D with 24-70 f/2.8 L after using nothing but the Olympus for several weeks, was like toting a concrete block: huge and heavy! Wink
AnneWorner e2
7 618 43 United States
11 Oct 2012 12:59PM

Quote:Very nice, Denny. I wondered - a few years ago - whether or not to get a 1-year membership of the Royal Zoological Society, so that I could nip into Edinburgh Zoo (and the Highland Wildlife Park) whenever I felt like it without the need to take out a bank loan each time. Tongue I never did though. And now that there's Pandas at Edinburgh...well, maybe I should reconsider?

Right, I'm off for a few days. I'm taking the Canon EOS 5D (and a couple of 'L' lenses) with me, in addition to the OM-D E-M5. I expect to be taking mostly landscapes, and I've not quite convinced myself to abandon the Canon completely - the 5D is a well-respected choice for landscape work, after all! But I'm hoping that I can persuade myself that the E-M5 is more than adequate for my fairly modest needs. Besides, picking up the 5D with 24-70 f/2.8 L after using nothing but the Olympus for several weeks, was like toting a concrete block: huge and heavy! Wink



I'd be interested in seeing a couple of the landscape images - shot from same vantage point with both the cameras - a comparison would be interesting. Smile
AnneWorner e2
7 618 43 United States
11 Oct 2012 5:47PM
I've been checking some sites for reviews of the 60mm macro - I'm obsessed about not being able to get it yet Sad

Ming Thein

and

Robin Wong
mdpontin 10 6.0k Scotland
11 Oct 2012 6:03PM

Quote:I'd be interested in seeing a couple of the landscape images - shot from same vantage point with both the cameras - a comparison would be interesting. Smile

I'll see what I can do, Anne. At the moment it's pouring down with rain, and the cloud is sitting well down on the hills. Sad Mind you, it's also getting dark, so I wouldn't have much photography time left today anyway, and tomorrow is supposed to be better.
AnneWorner e2
7 618 43 United States
11 Oct 2012 6:19PM
Hope the weather turns around for you. Of course, you could stick to the EM-5 and kit 12-50 and test out the water tolerance. Aside from the weight of it, that was the main reason I bought this camera and lens combination. Smile
rogerfry e2
9 525 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2012 8:01PM
Olympus 1 - Bank manager nil......macro ordered!

Brian, have you got any comparison shots using the kit lens on macro setting, and the 60mm macro? (If you have time, it would be interesting)
mdpontin 10 6.0k Scotland
11 Oct 2012 8:34PM

Quote:Of course, you could stick to the EM-5 and kit 12-50 and test out the water tolerance. Aside from the weight of it, that was the main reason I bought this camera and lens combination. Smile

Well...I hope it won't come to that! Smile

I must admit that when I picked up the Canon combo again, I got a pretty good reminder of the size and weight difference with the E-M5. Either I'm getting old or getting lazy (or both!) but I know which I'd rather use! It's just that my head tells me that the Canon should be the better camera for landscapes. Wink

(Grr...hotel wifi keeps wanting me to log in every 5 minutes Sad)

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.