Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Olympus OM-D EM-5 Discussion

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014794 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
12 Oct 2012 - 8:15 AM

Sorry Brian, I don't know what it is, but I'll find out.Smile

Denny

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 Oct 2012 - 8:15 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

AnneWorner
AnneWorner e2 Member 6608 forum postsAnneWorner vcard United States42 Constructive Critique Points
12 Oct 2012 - 12:56 PM

It's an orchid - but wow, it's a very mature plant.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110265 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
12 Oct 2012 - 1:09 PM

I've just come back from the Quay where I have been reminded how much difference a lens can make, particularly with respect to focus speed and accuracy.

I had a play at a bit of shooting gulls and starlings, the former in flight and the latter static with wide aperture.

Focus is so fast and accurate I reckon its on a par with my 60D + 70-300LIS (not quite up there with the 7D yet)

I can't wait to see how the panasonic 35-200 f2.8 does, I could be tempted.

Still processing the flight shots but loved this Starling and wondered how you would see it? (its cropped by around 50%)

60mm-starling-50--crop.jpg

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139430 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
12 Oct 2012 - 1:17 PM

Funny how a camera can improve with use! Wink

Very nice starling pic - top notch, I'd say. Smile

AnneWorner
AnneWorner e2 Member 6608 forum postsAnneWorner vcard United States42 Constructive Critique Points
12 Oct 2012 - 1:18 PM

Sharp, good detail, soft and creamy bokeh.

When I was a kid I used to think starlings were ugly - my grandmother had a constant battle with them over berry rights Wink I never saw one close-up till I saw a photo like this and then realized just how beautiful they are.

Greedy buggers though - I'll put suet out in the feeders and they can devour two of those packets in a couple of hours, leaving all the other birds out in the cold.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110265 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
12 Oct 2012 - 1:54 PM

Thanks CB and Anne,

yes Anne until you see the refraction colours on a Starling in good contrasty light you have no idea how beautiful they are (but hooligans of the worst kind, they and the Sparrows are a plague in our garden)

You can't really see the detail in the resized image so here's a full crop of 998 pixs of the head

60mm-starling-head--998-pix.jpg

and here's the flight shot that told me this lens is a bit special, its around 40% of frame then resized for here. There's no way the 75-300 would have been able to isolate the focus on the bird from the background without manual focus help from me and even then it would be nowhere near as clean a separation of subject from background. This is with f71

This is one remarkable lens! Grin

60mm-gull-passing-boats.jpg

AnneWorner
12 Oct 2012 - 2:17 PM

Wow, that's all Smile

B_Real
B_Real  9126 forum posts United Kingdom
12 Oct 2012 - 2:21 PM

Hi Brian, wonderful images of birds. Could you remind me what lens this was with again, and whether they were shot in RAW? Sure the info is back there somewhere, had a quick scan but can't see it.

I'm interested in sports. I think birds in flight is not too dissimilar from sports action shots, hence my interest in the lens. You mention the 35-200 f2.8 above, assume you meant the 35-100 f2.8? (how good would 35-200 be!!). Would also be interested to see how this lens performs (versus say the nikon 80-200 f2.8 that I currently use).

rogerfry
rogerfry e2 Member 8509 forum postsrogerfry vcard United Kingdom
12 Oct 2012 - 2:44 PM

Quote: Still processing the flight shots but loved this Starling and wondered how you would see it? (its cropped by around 50%)

I think we all see it as great! (and the head crop really shows the detail). Interesting times ahead ! Grin

Last Modified By rogerfry at 12 Oct 2012 - 2:47 PM
brian1208
12 Oct 2012 - 2:54 PM

Hi Brad, sorry, detail lost in my enthusiasm. These shots and the previous series were with the Olympus 60mm f2.8 macro on the EM-5, seeing how it performs in non-macro situations.

For sports / action work I have been having some success with the 75-300 and for close work have no doubt that the 60mm would be faster and more accurate but restricted in range and flexibility as a prime rather than zoom

Yes, should have read 35-100 (70-200 FF equiv FOV). I did have one of these on pre-order but the price went up by over 20% on original quote, so its going to have to wait until the price comes down again but I'm pretty convinced now that its going to be a useful tool (but not up there with the Nikon 80-200 f2.8 or canon 70-200 f2.8 I'm guessing, with some confidence Smile )

Thanks Roger, yes indeed - very interesting times (and possibly a bit expensive Tongue )

B_Real
12 Oct 2012 - 3:36 PM

Quote: These shots and the previous series were with the Olympus 60mm f2.8 macro on the EM-5, seeing how it performs in non-macro situations.

Great stuff. Seems to be holding up pretty well Smile

Yeah the 35-100 looks like it's gonna be expensive. Might stick to the Nikon for sports and use OMD for other things.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315334 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
12 Oct 2012 - 3:42 PM

Quote: Yeah the 35-100 looks like it's gonna be expensive. Might stick to the Nikon for sports and use OMD for other things

I think you will enjoy it for your street stuff Brad, I`ve found it good for 99% of my needs even action, provided focus tracking isn`t high on the list.

AnneWorner
12 Oct 2012 - 3:45 PM

Quote: Yeah the 35-100 looks like it's gonna be expensive. Might stick to the Nikon for sports and use OMD for other things

I think you will enjoy it for your street stuff Brad, I`ve found it good for 99% of my needs even action, provided focus tracking isn`t high on the list.

Using that LCD for street is excellent. I use the swivel screen on my 620/lensbaby combo for street also.

brian1208
12 Oct 2012 - 4:00 PM

Quote: Might stick to the Nikon for sports and use OMD for other things.

if you can afford to run both systems that would be my strong recommendation also, I couldn't, which is why I'm busting a gut trying to find the best answers for BIF work Wink

(I'm happy with the EM-5 for all my other genres)

B_Real
12 Oct 2012 - 4:34 PM

Quote: if you can afford to run both systems that would be my strong recommendation also, I couldn't, which is why I'm busting a gut trying to find the best answers for BIF work

I see. Recall taking some BIF shots years ago with the 80-200 f2.8, was wonderful! Panning was nice, the weight of the lens helped to keep it steady & using OVF was pretty good in that respect. How does the EVF/weight of the OMD fare when panning? Guess the IS keeps it steady...

Problem with OMD for me, is that if I'm spending 1k on a new camera, I may as well either go D7000 at half the price (and get something like an RX100 for street stuff) or fork out another 500 for a D600... my current lens set up is mostly FX compatible... but I like the size/weight of OMD... but then its a smaller sensor... and I'd be wasting my 80-200... but then... but... but... yes, interetsing AND confusing times to be camera buying! Grin

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.