Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Olympus OM-D EM-5 Discussion

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110227 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
12 Oct 2012 - 4:52 PM

The light weight was the reason I went from Canon to the EM5.

Its a super system for all day hand-holding, I use the 75-300 and Denny (and others?) uses the panny 100-300.

The light weight can actually take some getting used to when you have been used to the inertial damping of a big L lens for example, so I tend to find it "waves in the breeze" a bit unless I really think about it. (you know how a big lens sort of rests in your left hand and lets you move it smoothly with the right hand as you pan, well the 75-300 doesn't, I find I have to deliberately hold it, which makes panning a two-handed co-ordination problem for me, as I'm not too well co-ordinated these days Smile )

If you are considering this move I strongly suggest you either borrow or hire one to see how you get on with it as it is very different from what it sounds as if you are used to

Last Modified By brian1208 at 12 Oct 2012 - 4:53 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 Oct 2012 - 4:52 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
mikehit  56297 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
12 Oct 2012 - 4:56 PM

Quote: but then its a smaller sensor

There is a sit that compares the OM-D with the 5DII and in some shots the OM-D looks better. I am not saying it will beat the D7000, but I bet you would be very hard puches to tell the differecne 'twixt OM-D and your Nikon, unless you print large.

B_Real
B_Real  9126 forum posts United Kingdom
12 Oct 2012 - 5:25 PM

Quote: There is a sit that compares the OM-D with the 5DII and in some shots the OM-D looks better. I am not saying it will beat the D7000, but I bet you would be very hard puches to tell the differecne 'twixt OM-D and your Nikon, unless you print large.

Totally agree, I doubt I would be able to sport any differences, I'm not that good. I saw the DXO sensor reviews (not sure if that's the site you were referring to). The OMD got 71. The D7000 scored 80. Both a step up from current D80 score of 60. There were comments suggesting that Olympus overstate their ISO figures in camera, compared to the actual ISO rating. So a stated ISO6400 is actually measured more closely to ISO3200. So the OMD looks like its performing better at higher sensitivities.

Quote: If you are considering this move I strongly suggest you either borrow or hire one to see how you get on with it as it is very different from what it sounds as if you are used to

Would love to. I've only held one in the shops, and it didn't feel that right in my hand, hence I haven't already made the purchase. But I might get used to it easily, who knows. The hassle saved in hulking a dslr around all day is worth a bit of persistance!

B_Real
B_Real  9126 forum posts United Kingdom
12 Oct 2012 - 5:35 PM

Quote: OM-D with the 5DII and in some shots the OM-D looks better

Just compared the two sensors on DXO. They gave the 5DII 79 overall (versus OMD 71). So it's interesting and encouraging that the OMD can still get better results from a smaller sensor. In the DXO sensor tests, the OMD slightly outperformed the 5DII on dynamic range, but underperformed on colour depth (slightly) and ISO (massively).

Apologies if all this has already been discussed on this thread before, it's too big to read back!

Paul_Anthony
12 Oct 2012 - 5:37 PM

See, the more of this thread I read, the more I want one. Probably the most informative and helpful thread I have ever seen on EPZ. Well done guys, keep up the good work.

You do have a lot to answer for as I now need to find over a grand Smile

Paul

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315156 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
12 Oct 2012 - 5:38 PM

Quote: Problem with OMD for me, is that if I'm spending 1k on a new camera, I may as well either go D7000 at half the price (and get something like an RX100 for street stuff) or fork out another 500 for a D600... my current lens set up is mostly FX compatible... but I like the size/weight of OMD... but then its a smaller sensor

Firstly I wouldn`t worry too much over the sensor size, the quality is right up there, unlike earlier 4/3 or M4/3 camera`s, the quality matches or exceeds many other crop framed dslr`s.

For Sports and action, in most cases it should be good, single focus point focus is very quick and it can handle up to 9fps, for birds in flight and focus tracking its not going to be as good, the in body IS is very good.

Street stuff, the touch screens a killer, very handy, and there`s now a good lens line up including some nice primes, from the 15th Olympus are throwing in the 45mm as a free gift.

Cost involved in switching system, not so good Sad

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 12 Oct 2012 - 5:42 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315156 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
12 Oct 2012 - 6:11 PM

Quote: See, the more of this thread I read, the more I want one. Probably the most informative and helpful thread I have ever seen on EPZ. Well done guys, keep up the good work

We try to please Smile

Damian McGillicuddy has a lot to say as well.

http://www.damianmcgillicuddy.com/journal

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110227 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
12 Oct 2012 - 7:04 PM

Quote: from the 15th Olympus are throwing in the 45mm as a free gift

don't keep reminding me, all I got was the useless B case (anybody out there interested in it a a VERY reasonable price - still in its box Smile )

Grin

Paul Morgan
12 Oct 2012 - 8:07 PM

I didn`t even get a free case Brian Smile

brian1208
12 Oct 2012 - 8:19 PM

would you like one Paul?

Paul Morgan
12 Oct 2012 - 8:20 PM

Nah, don`t think it would see any use Smile

AnneWorner
AnneWorner e2 Member 6606 forum postsAnneWorner vcard United States41 Constructive Critique Points
12 Oct 2012 - 8:22 PM

What exactly is a B case?

rogerfry
rogerfry e2 Member 8504 forum postsrogerfry vcard United Kingdom
12 Oct 2012 - 8:36 PM

Quote: What exactly is a B case?

Ends in a y with double o in the middle.......I know because I've got one as well !

brian1208
12 Oct 2012 - 8:59 PM

I do hope that Olympus make a longer version of this lens - it wouldn't even have to be a macro, just as sharp and fast focusing. 20mm f2.8 or even f4 at a pinch - please Mr Olympus San

60mm-swan-running-on-water.jpg

Paul Morgan
12 Oct 2012 - 9:01 PM

Sorry what lens Brian

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.