Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Olympus OM-D EM-5 Discussion

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

mikehit
mikehit  46171 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
17 Oct 2012 - 8:45 AM

That last one of the three flowers is great - the foreground bokeh makes a great frame.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
17 Oct 2012 - 8:45 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110170 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
17 Oct 2012 - 1:54 PM

I've been a bit busy recently, doing some commercial work (kitten portrait commission) + a couple of trips, resulting in over 1000 pics to plough through.

In the main the EM5 has been working well although it struggled at times yesterday shooting in pretty extreme conditions of light and shade
I thought that this grab shot of a passing Oyster Catcher at Brownsea Island, Poole was not too bad though

oyster-catcher-in-flight.jpg

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
17 Oct 2012 - 2:02 PM

Quote: doing some commercial work (kitten portrait commission)

I bet the pics have cuteness overload! Grin

Good pic of the oyster catcher. Smile

AnneWorner
AnneWorner e2 Member 6602 forum postsAnneWorner vcard United States41 Constructive Critique Points
17 Oct 2012 - 2:11 PM

I'd like to see some of the kitten shots Grin =^..^=

I'll say "awwwww" in advance. Smile

AnneWorner
AnneWorner e2 Member 6602 forum postsAnneWorner vcard United States41 Constructive Critique Points
17 Oct 2012 - 2:13 PM

Denny: snakes, hippos and gators - eek! Tongue

That poor snake looks like it might be close to blind - we have our share of rattlesnakes here, so I'm really used to snakes. Just watch where I'm walking when I'm out in the field. Wish I could take photos of them with glass between me and them!

rogerfry
rogerfry e2 Member 8501 forum postsrogerfry vcard United Kingdom
17 Oct 2012 - 2:53 PM

What did it struggle with Brian....focus, or exposure?

Nice bird. Smile

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110170 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
17 Oct 2012 - 3:00 PM

Roger, exposure was the main problem, I was either working with ISO1600 and only getting 1/80th sec or there abouts when trying to shoot a squirrel at 300mm or getting glare off the water when shooting Avocets and the like, losing contrast and colour despite using the hood (Polariser wouldn't have helped much as I was shooting too close to the sun for it to be effective)

I will dig out a couple of Kitten pics as you asked so nicely Anne Wink

rogerfry
17 Oct 2012 - 3:01 PM

Anyone following this forum and thinking of joining the club might be interested in this. They also do it with the kit lens for 860.

Obviously they're grey imports, but I know people who've bought from the company, and they seem reliable.

(The free 45mm is not applicable to this. Sad)

Last Modified By rogerfry at 17 Oct 2012 - 3:05 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314927 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
17 Oct 2012 - 3:34 PM

Not a good time to be buying grey imports, not with the current free lens offer running.

brian1208
17 Oct 2012 - 4:52 PM

Here you are Anne, some pics of Scruffy & Toby

kitten-scruffy-face.jpg

kitten-scruffy.jpg

kitten-toby-face.jpg

kitten-other.jpg

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
17 Oct 2012 - 5:24 PM

Nice felines Brian - what lens did you use? Smile

AnneWorner
17 Oct 2012 - 5:29 PM

Awwww, awwww Smile

brian1208
17 Oct 2012 - 5:38 PM

Thanks CB and Anne.

These were shot with the 12-50 kit lens CB (I do all my studio work with it too and find its very capable)

It was lovely to have a chance to play with them as we lost the last of our two Burmese about 3 years ago and have been a "Cat Free Zone" ever since. The trouble was that these two made themselves at home so quickly they just wanted to be cuddled and have a kip rather than play.

Apparently all the best posing was done when I was showing one or other of their owners the shots we had got to that point in the procedings, then "moggies" strutted their stuff. As soon as I picked up the camera again it was "Go on, give us a cuddle" Smile

mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
17 Oct 2012 - 6:06 PM

Nice kitty pics, Brian. I particularly like the 3rd one (above).

Our wee cat is notoriously uncooperative with cameras. He usually walks towards the photographer, so unless you keep backing away you soon end up with some out-of-focus fur to show for your efforts. Wink

Last Modified By mdpontin at 17 Oct 2012 - 6:07 PM
rogerfry
17 Oct 2012 - 6:37 PM

That's the way it goes with animals!......Either you don't have a camera handy when they're 'doing their thing', or else they they stop doing it when you have. Smile

With regard to the Avocet shots, it sounds as if most cameras would be struggling under those conditions.

You obviously caught the cats when they weren't paying attention.....lovely shots. Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.