Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Olympus OM-D EM-5 Discussion

beeza410 4 32 1 United Kingdom
11 Mar 2012 11:10AM
Had a play with it down at 'Focus' on Sunday, still cant make my mind up if its for me, it is tho without doubt a very nice bit of kit!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
11 Mar 2012 11:29AM
EPZ have not as yet been able to do major testing of the OM-D, and we look forward to that in due course, but Robin Wong (a photography blogger based in Malaysia) has put up some detailed reviews of the camera:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Some snippets from the review:

Quote:

"Huge amount of details were able to be captured by the 16MP sensor and the fine details as revealed in the 100% crops are simply amazing."

"Never had anyone dared to dream of Olympus smaller sized sensor (4/3 sized) would be able to accomplish what I have just shown all of you in this entry, at this time of writing. Looking at the 100% crop images, the noise were very minimal, with minimal trace of Chroma Noise, which was unbelievable. At ISO3200, the image actually looked very clean, and even up to ISO6400, the output is still acceptably good"

"I have strong reasons to believe that the image quality of the Olympus OM-D E-M5 may surpass some of the current best APS-C DSLRs. The image quality may not exactly be better than full frame cameras, but the gap difference is closing in."

Sounds a nice bit of kit to me too! Wink And perhaps the performance goes some way to justifying the high price - 999 body only on launch, although I would expect to see that come down by 100 or so pretty quickly.

Would love to see a full-scale EPZ review on this soon (Hi Josh! Grin).
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
11 Mar 2012 3:38PM

Quote:And perhaps the performance goes some way to justifying the high price - 999 body only on launch, although I would expect to see that come down by 100 or so pretty quickly

Along side the Nex 7 and Fujifilm X-Pro1 the price does not seem that bad CB Smile

There`s a pretty extensive lens choice with a fair few new ones not yet shown, even more reasons to buy Smile

http://www.four-thirds.org/en/microft/lense.html
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
11 Mar 2012 7:27PM
I agree, Paul. It's just that the jump from the the top Pen (E-P3) to the OM-D is very steep, i.e. body-only prices of 535 and 999 respectively, viz. almost double. Granted you would have to add the cost of the VF-2 to the E-P3 (170) for a like-for-like comparison.

But if the OM-D is anything like as good as Mr Wong seems to think, it could be the one to watch in the next year or two. Smile Manufacturers' recent DSLR offerings have been (IMO) pretty yawnworthy, except for the Nikon D800, and/or very expensive.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
11 Mar 2012 7:41PM
Have you seen the new Olympus 60mm macro that`s on the way CB, f2.8 and weather sealed.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/olympus-m-zuiko-60mm-macro-m43rds-lens-announced-18350
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
11 Mar 2012 7:45PM
Oh and when EPZ do test the OM-D, it would be great to have an image quality comparison with a couple of decent APS-C DSLRs, maybe the Canon 7D and Nikon D7000.

I am intrigued at Robin Wong's suggestion the OM-D's IQ may be better than such cameras.

Quote:Have you seen the new Olympus 60mm macro that`s on the way CB.

I don't want to see the price! Lol! There does seem to be an 'Olympus Premium' on their products.......... do they aspire to being like Leica? Wink
davewaine 7 115 3 England
12 Mar 2012 6:31AM
That is some sensor! The shots in the temple look like they could have been taken on Kodachrome or Velvia, and the high ISO performance is phenomenal. Olympus turned the photography world on its head in the early 1970s with the OM-1 (I was an early adopter). The more I read about the OM-D EM-5, the more convinced I become that they may be about to do it again. The company could do with a good news story. The price is high, but quality costs and I expect that there will be less expensive variants in due course. I don't really buy arguments that I have read about it being doomed to failure because people who have invested in expensive Canon / Nikon outfits won't be persuaded to change them. The same arguments were made back in 1973 and proved unfounded. Old photographers die out eventually and are replaced by new ones who may be just as likely to choose Olympus as any other brand. Besides, there are also those ageing enthusiasts who would invest in a small, lightweight - but very high quality - system rather than in a chiropractor.

Between 1973 and 1985 Olympus established themselves as a realistic alternative Nikon and Canon, up to, and including, professional level. Until then they had been something of a minority brand - always quality, but never seriously worrying the 'big two'. When autofocus came in, they rather lost the plot and continued to lose it for the next two decades. Thankfully cameras only count for a relatively small part of the company's turnover, or they would have disappeared years since. The E-series was a brave attempt to re-establish their reputation as serious camera makers, but I always had the feeling that what their fans really wanted was a digital OM. Now there is one (or there will be next month). I, meanwhile, have the knotty problem of working out how my historically empty bank account is going to fund the acquisition.
kodachrome 3 530
12 Mar 2012 8:54AM
A bit more down to earth question, it seems that due to the price of just the body at a grand, it looks like its aimed at the serious enthusiast/sem Pro market. This has left the old entry level E system users with no new 'affordable' body! Its no good Olympus saying buy the Pen instead as its no substitute and many of us don't like range finder shape system cameras. Many of us are SLR lovers. Will there be a budget E-M5 out later in the year or even a new affordable Exx body?
Thanks
Pete
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
12 Mar 2012 12:54PM

Quote:Will there be a budget E-M5 out later in the year

Olympus say the E-M5 is just the first of a line of OM-D cameras, and hinted there will be models below and above it, in due course.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
12 Mar 2012 11:06PM

Quote:Will there be a budget E-M5 out later in the year

So what is the EP3, EPL3 then Smile

Quote:The E-series was a brave attempt to re-establish their reputation as serious camera makers, but I always had the feeling that what their fans really wanted was a digital OM

Olympus have had a bit of catching up to do, but at the very least they gave us something new and different and changed the ways of other manufacturers.

There`s is still no digital OM and I doubt there ever will be one, the OM-D is really a Pen with an EVF viewfinder slapped on the top.
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
13 Mar 2012 12:09AM

Quote:EVF viewfinder

???
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
13 Mar 2012 12:23AM
Lol well an EVF Smile
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
13 Mar 2012 12:52AM

Quote:OM-D is really a Pen with an EVF viewfinder slapped on the top.

And a brand new sensor - which, to be honest, was needed. And a new IS system. And weather sealed metal body. And 1080/60 video. And 3D AF tracking. And higher EVF refresh rate (double) than VF-2.

And............... not much like the Pen at all. Lol! Wink

Quote:There`s is still no digital OM and I doubt there ever will be one

Presumably you mean an OM 4/3 DSLR? I agree - there'll never be one. The Japanese home market is going wild for CSC cameras and, other than top end DSLRs, I would expect to see CSCs replacing DSLRs at the entry and middle ranges.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
13 Mar 2012 12:56AM

Quote:And a brand new sensor - which, to be honest, was needed. And a new IS system. And weather sealed metal body. And 1080/60 video. And 3D AF tracking. And higher EVF refresh rate (double) than VF-2.

And............... not much like the Pen at all. Lol!

Most or at least some of this will more than likely appear in the next pen.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
13 Mar 2012 12:58AM
Some of it will but I imagine not all. Olympus will want to keep a differentiation between the two lines......... if only so they can charge much more for the OM. Lol! Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.