Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Olympus OM-D EM-5 Discussion

AnneWorner e2
7 614 42 United States
12 Nov 2012 12:51PM
I've tried my hand with my old Pentax lenses with good result. With exception of my old 28mm/2.0 they are oversized for the camera, then there's the manual focusing - I'm getting lazy in my old days. Wink

The result of the shot of that beautiful inlaid jewelry box is very good!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

brian1208 e2
11 10.4k 12 United Kingdom
12 Nov 2012 1:58PM
Thanks CB and Anne, my wife is a mad keen collector of boxes and this one we picked up as a total wreck and I spent several weeks getting it back to this (rather average) state. Only cost a few pounds though and she is happy with it

The funny things is that I seem to get better high ISO results straight from a .jpg than I can achieve from processing the RAW file shot at the same time, most unexpected (to me)
AnneWorner e2
7 614 42 United States
12 Nov 2012 2:02PM

Quote:Thanks CB and Anne, my wife is a mad keen collector of boxes and this one we picked up as a total wreck and I spent several weeks getting it back to this (rather average) state. Only cost a few pounds though and she is happy with it

The funny things is that I seem to get better high ISO results straight from a .jpg than I can achieve from processing the RAW file shot at the same time, most unexpected (to me)

I find the same thing. I stopped shooting jpg and RAW together for a while, but am going to go back to my prior shooting preferences. Less work too!
rogerfry e2
9 509 United Kingdom
12 Nov 2012 2:25PM

Quote:The funny things is that I seem to get better high ISO results straight from a .jpg than I can achieve from processing the RAW file shot at the same time, most unexpected (to me)

It's that b****y self opinionated camera you've got.....thinks it knows best all the time! Tongue
AnneWorner e2
7 614 42 United States
12 Nov 2012 2:29PM
Yes, it is opionated and I have had a few chats with it about that very thing! Doesn't listen though Tongue
brian1208 e2
11 10.4k 12 United Kingdom
12 Nov 2012 3:23PM
It still won't go out and take pictures for me when the weather is bad (as today) - pretty darned useless really this "Auto Mode" Grin

They do seem to have a pretty good JPG processing engine though don't they
AnneWorner e2
7 614 42 United States
12 Nov 2012 5:08PM
Yes, they certainly do.
rogerfry e2
9 509 United Kingdom
12 Nov 2012 5:37PM

Quote:They do seem to have a pretty good JPG processing engine though don't they

I usually shoot jpeg + raw, and unless I want to do any processing in NIK software the jpeg is often the file that gets used.... Clever camera! Smile
AnneWorner e2
7 614 42 United States
12 Nov 2012 5:40PM
Hmm, I've been using the RAW file in NIK (which I use 90% of the time as my photo editor), guess I should try using the jpg. Or at least compare both versions after processing. Something interesting for me to try - I love comparisons Smile
StrayCat e2
10 15.0k 2 Canada
12 Nov 2012 6:14PM
Following a little experiment of mine; RAW plus JPEG, instead of just JPEG, which is by far my preference for this camera; I went back to just JPEG. I tried four days of a pretty wide variety of shots using RAW plus JPEG, and in virtually every one of the approximately 1200 shots, I much prefer the jpeg over RAW. It could be because I don't have a serious workflow developed for RAW in Lightroom. 90% or higher of my jpegs require nothing more than a slight increase in contrast and a smidgin of unsharp mask. I the default settings on just about everything in-camera, and natural selected, and the images could easily be used straight out of the camera. If I needed the RAW files, I would find it very tedious to try and get them to the IQ of a jpeg. I print very few images, and as I've said before, if I sold one, it would ruin my hobby.Smile

Denny
User_Removed 4 4.6k 1 Scotland
12 Nov 2012 6:54PM
I think you are right.

I shoot Raw with the OM-D simply because I am used to shooting everything in Raw.

But, when I think about it, I use my Nikon D800 for "serious" photography and my OM-D for "fun". That being so, I probably could get away with shooting Jpeg in the OM-D as I tend not to do anything with the images from it other than personally enjoy them or share them online or via e-mail (which, of course, means that I have produced Jpegs from the Raw anyway.)

Purely by chance, this afternoon I did use an OM-D image as part of a creative composition merged with a D800 image. Basically I had a shedload of Guy Fawkes fireworks images shot with the D800 and I wanted to fake up one with an imported foreground. As it happens, for the foreground, I used a nightime castle shot that I took with the OM-D during a camera club lightpainting outing a few weeks ago. For that particular purpose I probably needed all of the data contained in the .ORF Raw file but that would be the exception rather than the rule.

fireworks.jpg

Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
12 Nov 2012 7:13PM
Welcome to the thread LF. Wink

I shoot in RAW even when I'm using my shirt-pocket Canon compact. The problem with JPEG is when I want to correct things - exposure, colour balance etc. I find I struggle much more with JPEG than with RAW. It can take me ages.

A long time ago the dreaded Ken Rockwell said you have to get things right in-camera, much more so when you are shooting JPEG than shooting RAW. Although he was howled down at the time, there is a kernel of truth in that.
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
12 Nov 2012 7:14PM

Quote:But, when I think about it, I use my Nikon D800 for "serious" photography and my OM-D for "fun". That being so, I probably could get away with shooting Jpeg in the OM-D

Camera manufacturers have really upped the game with Jpegs in recent years, there getting better and better, most are usable in place of raw, unless the lighting is awkward or high ISO`s have been used.
mdpontin 10 6.0k Scotland
12 Nov 2012 10:39PM
I shoot raw-only with my OM-D at the moment, but like other commenters here, I rarely print anything, just enjoy the pictures myself or (occasionally) post to ePHOTOzine. That being so, perhaps there's a case for reverting to raw+jpeg, the raw files being kept for archival purposes (where worthwhile!) and for when I want to do any significant editing, but otherwise relying on the jpegs. Something to try out.

Quote:...the dreaded Ken Rockwell...

Ah, the great man. I wonder how he's doing these days? Yes, it's true he got a lot of stick but it's certainly good advice to aim to get as much as possible "right" in the camera.
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
12 Nov 2012 11:51PM
I've been doing a bit of shooting in artificial light - both incandescent and fluorescent - this evening using RAW + JPEG. I have to say I do find the RAWs easier to adjust for WB. With JPEG it's all a bit hit and miss.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.