Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Olympus OM-D EM-5 Discussion

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64431 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
17 Nov 2012 - 12:13 PM

Couple of questions guys.

1. What's the difference between m4/3 and just 4/3?
2. I'm reading that you can use lots of different lenses on the EM-5. The Olympus lenses are expensive. Are the Panasonics just as good?
3. Is the kit lens 12-50mm good enough for street photography to start with? The range seems OK and I don't really do low light stuff, but I do occasionally take
candid shots in galleries and museums.
4. I've got an old Canon 50mm macro prime. Would I need an adapter to use this?

Sorry to be a pain. I'm sure the above are all answered in the thread but I got up to page 20 and my eyes started to glaze over. Grin I've only ever used Pentax manuals and various Canons so Olympus is like a foreign country to me at the moment.

Last Modified By SlowSong at 17 Nov 2012 - 12:15 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
17 Nov 2012 - 12:13 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139443 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
17 Nov 2012 - 12:27 PM

Quote: What's the difference between m4/3 and just 4/3?

M4/3 and 4/3 have the same-sized sensors. 4/3 has a mirror, i.e. a conventional DSLR. M4/3 has no mirror so either has an electronic viewfinder pluc LCD screen or LCD screen only. You can't use 4/3 lenses on M4/3 without an adaptor - but the adaptor retains all the electronic functions. This is not the case when you use an adaptor for a lens designed for a camera which is not 4/3.

Quote: I'm reading that you can use lots of different lenses on the EM-5. The Olympus lenses are expensive. Are the Panasonics just as good?

Some Panasonics are Leica badged and can be more expensive than Olympus. You cannot generalise.

Quote: Is the kit lens 12-50mm good enough for street photography to start with?

I would have thought so. I don't have one.... I have the 14-42mm, which has - by all accounts a slight edge - but the quality is very similar.

Quote: I've got an old Canon 50mm macro prime. Would I need an adapter to use this?

Yes. They cost around 20-25. When you say 'old' I assume you mean an FD lens?

Last Modified By Carabosse at 17 Nov 2012 - 12:32 PM
SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64431 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
17 Nov 2012 - 1:06 PM

Thanks CB. I certainly wouldn't want another camera with a mirror so that's one decision made.
The canon macro I've got is an EF lens.

AnneWorner
AnneWorner e2 Member 6609 forum postsAnneWorner vcard United States42 Constructive Critique Points
17 Nov 2012 - 1:08 PM

Chris, I like the 12-50 - in fact some of my recent macros are taken with it. And the photos from the air show also. Isn't the 45mm being offered free with the camera right now. That is my very favorite lens of all.

SlowSong
17 Nov 2012 - 1:14 PM

Hi Anne. I guess the 12-50's a good place to start, and I've been impressed with your images. I suppose if I bought the camera the 45mm might be worth having, but I don't often use a prime of this length so I'd rather have a grip. But, well, if it's free ..... Smile A 17m pancake would be good though.

AnneWorner
AnneWorner e2 Member 6609 forum postsAnneWorner vcard United States42 Constructive Critique Points
17 Nov 2012 - 1:30 PM

I have that pancake on order - but it's still not scheduled to ship for some time. I think you would really enjoy the 45 for street - you just get back a bit further Wink

rogerfry
rogerfry e2 Member 8509 forum postsrogerfry vcard United Kingdom
17 Nov 2012 - 1:47 PM

Quote: Hi Anne. I guess the 12-50's a good place to start, and I've been impressed with your images. I suppose if I bought the camera the 45mm might be worth having, but I don't often use a prime of this length so I'd rather have a grip. But, well, if it's free ..... Smile A 17m pancake would be good though.

The 12-50 is a great general purpose lens, and the macro facility offers very good quality. (When it's in macro mode the focal length is fixed at 43mm, which is equivalent to 86mm on a full frame camera, or roughly 60mm on a crop frame.)
Most of the Panasonic lenses are of similar quality to the Olympus, but they tend to be larger and heavier as they have OS built in.

Get your credit card out! Tongue

As has been said before...... the free 45 is a beautiful lens. Smile

Last Modified By rogerfry at 17 Nov 2012 - 1:50 PM
SlowSong
17 Nov 2012 - 2:18 PM

I'm getting there, but still wondering how to sneak it into the house, let alone use it, unnoticed. Grin
The macro facility sounds good, and I'm sure it must be faster than using my Canons with the macro lenses. My success rate with macro without a tripod is, err, Nil. Grin
Thanks peeps.

Just a minor point, I'm not a flashy person and usually go for the black bodies, but I am rather enamoured with the silver on the olympus. Do you think the silver would tarnish or would it be better to stick to black?

Last Modified By SlowSong at 17 Nov 2012 - 2:20 PM
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139443 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
17 Nov 2012 - 3:05 PM

Quote: Do you think the silver would tarnish or would it be better to stick to black?

I prefer black for stealth. Wink

You may also find it easier to get away with others not noticing it is a different camera from the one you use currently. Lol! Grin

AnneWorner
17 Nov 2012 - 3:46 PM

I went for the silver Smile No tarnishing evident - don't know if it's metal?

SlowSong
17 Nov 2012 - 3:50 PM

Well, you've got a point CB. Grin

mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
17 Nov 2012 - 4:34 PM

The body is magnesium alloy, but I don't know if that refers to everything including the outer "shell" or just the chassis, for want of a better word. To me, it looks and feels like metal anyhow. I have the silver/black body too - I just liked the look of it combined with that retro OM-style body shape. So far, no signs of wear, scratching, tarnishing, etc. All this and weather-sealed too. Smile

I also have the 12-50mm kit lens, and agree with Anne and Roger that it's a very good standard zoom with an effective macro mode. If you go for the (currently) free 45mm (and it's hard to argue against free!) then it's perhaps not such a straightforward decision to get the 12-50, depending on your needs, but it's certainly a good lens.

Last Modified By mdpontin at 17 Nov 2012 - 4:36 PM
SlowSong
17 Nov 2012 - 4:51 PM

Thanks Doug. They've got one of each in my local Jessops (apparently!). Will have another serious look on Monday. The more I see the more I think I must have one. The touch screen focussing looks really useful. And you never know, a fast 45mm prime has gotta be better than a slower zoom, especially if it's "free". You never know, I might just change my MO. Smile

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315362 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
17 Nov 2012 - 5:16 PM

Quote: I prefer black for stealth

How is black more stealthy Smile

I went for the silver, goes well with both the black and silver lenses and it takes better pictures than the black Smile Smile

SlowSong
17 Nov 2012 - 5:32 PM

Quote: I went for the silver, goes well with both the black and silver lenses and it takes better pictures than the black

Ah, now that's interesting. Something else to bear in mind. Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.