Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Olympus OM-D EM-5 Discussion

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Gudgeon
Gudgeon  7128 forum posts England
17 Nov 2012 - 5:35 PM

SlowSong, if it helps your decision on silver or black, the free lens when it comes is silver (mine was anyway).
Remember that the free lens offer is with either the body and kit lens or just the body if you wanted to opt for a different lens for walkaround/street.
Personally I love both, but the 45mm is a cracker, it really is, I have some expensive glass with my Nikon D3 and it compares very well. Smile
When I first got mine I was concerned about the brightness of the viewfinder but in the end that turned out to be me, the camera is excellent, I don't use the Nikon stuff much at all now, but having trouble deciding whether or not to part cos I know I wouldn't get anything like I paid and who knows, a year down the line I might just fancy a big DSLR again for a bit. Can't really see it though, nowhere near as enjoyable. Wink
I turned my touch screen facility off, it kept taking a photo when I caught it accidentally. There's probably a setting somewhere but I can't find it. I got used to the menu quite quickly but found the manual very difficult to follow (still do).

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
17 Nov 2012 - 5:35 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
17 Nov 2012 - 5:49 PM

Quote: I don't use the Nikon stuff much at all now, but having trouble deciding whether or not to part cos I know I wouldn't get anything like I paid and who knows, a year down the line I might just fancy a big DSLR again for a bit. Can't really see it though, nowhere near as enjoyable. Wink

I feel exactly the same about my Canon gear (EOS 5D, 24-70 f/2.8 L, 70-200 f/4 IS L, plus 2x extender). A very good camera and superb lenses, but I haven't used them for months - the Olympus is the camera I take with me these days. I think it's time to sell the Canon stuff, but it's been hard to let go. I'm just about ready to take that step, though.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315479 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
17 Nov 2012 - 5:53 PM

Quote: I don't use the Nikon stuff much at all now, but having trouble deciding whether or not to part cos I know I wouldn't get anything like I paid and who knows

I just bit the bullet and sold my dslr, no complaints, but I had it sat around for a year doing absolutely nothing loosing more and more value as each day past.

For me the 12-50 kit lens is a no brainer, its a lot of lens for 150 and its just the right size, its not to big Smile

I use it as a street lens along with the Sigma 19mm, its one of the cheapest M4/3 lenses going.

the-om-d-part-of-a-system.jpg
with the silver 45mm fitted

1-sigma-19mm.jpg
fitted with the sigma 19mm

rogerfry
rogerfry e2 Member 9509 forum postsrogerfry vcard United Kingdom
17 Nov 2012 - 6:11 PM

If you haven't got any other m4/3 lenses, you would regret not getting the 12-50 as well as the free 45.......at the price you get it for with the body, it's a steal. Smile. (And you wouldn't have the macro Sad)

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315479 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
17 Nov 2012 - 6:28 PM

If you don`t want to blow wads of cash, the EPM2 is worth a look, same sensor, evf, touch screen and processing.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 17 Nov 2012 - 6:29 PM
SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64470 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
17 Nov 2012 - 6:33 PM

Ok, ok, ok - I'm convinced. Grin And I like the look of the Sigma, Paul. Along with the other lenses I think I'd be pretty well covered.

All I've got to do now is part with the dosh. Well, I mostly spend my money on bird food, cat food, the car or give it away. So I think I really should have it. Smile My only worry is that once I get it and can't get to grips with the menu I'll hate it and not use it.

Many thanks for your input. At least if I buy it and have problems I know where to come for help. Smile

PS: Just crossed posts Paul. Why would I want the EPM2 if the EM-5 is so good? Don't start me off looking at yet another camera. Grin But I will look now, just because. Grin

Last Modified By SlowSong at 17 Nov 2012 - 6:34 PM
rogerfry
rogerfry e2 Member 9509 forum postsrogerfry vcard United Kingdom
17 Nov 2012 - 6:43 PM

Quote: I turned my touch screen facility off, it kept taking a photo when I caught it accidentally. There's probably a setting somewhere but I can't find it. I got used to the menu quite quickly but found the manual very difficult to follow (still do).

Kev...When you have the rear screen live, the touch facility -(symbol above the mode indication)- has three settings : off/touch to focus/touch to focus and shoot. You cycle through the settings by tapping on the symbol itself.
Touch to focus and shoot is very useful for candids with the camera at waist level and the screen tilted up. Smile

Paul Morgan
17 Nov 2012 - 6:54 PM

Quote: And I like the look of the Sigma, Paul. Along with the other lenses I think I'd be pretty well covered

Its superb value for money Smile

Ignore the one star review, he ordered the wrong lens and blames Amazon Smile

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sigma-19mm-Micro-Thirds-Mount/dp/B007F7G6WW/ref=sr_1_1?s...

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 17 Nov 2012 - 6:56 PM
SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64470 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
17 Nov 2012 - 7:18 PM

So much to think about and remember. Thanks Roger and Paul, and everyone.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139496 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
17 Nov 2012 - 7:33 PM

If you want something a bit faster than the Sigma, the Panasonic 20mm/f1.7 is often considered a 'must have' for M4/3. It is certainly one of the sharpest.

It is more expensive than the Sigma, but it is a pancake. Fitted to the E-M5, I can just about get the combo into a coat pocket. Smile

Paul Morgan
17 Nov 2012 - 7:37 PM

Quote: If you want something a bit faster than the Sigma, the Panasonic 20mm/f1.7 is often considered a 'must have' for M4/3. It is certainly one of the sharpest

Its a stop faster and twice the price, but its not twice as good Smile

And that Pany is one of the slower focusing lenses.

Gudgeon
Gudgeon  7128 forum posts England
17 Nov 2012 - 8:12 PM

Kev...When you have the rear screen live, the touch facility -(symbol above the mode indication)- has three settings : off/touch to focus/touch to focus and shoot. You cycle through the settings by tapping on the symbol itself.
Touch to focus and shoot is very useful for candids with the camera at waist level and the screen tilted up.

Thanks for that bit of info, I'll have a look.
I get your point about candids, but they're not my sort of thing, or people of any kind for that matter. I have an uncanny ability to make a supermodel look like a relative of Quasimodo, so gave up on portraits (other than my son) a while ago.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110307 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
17 Nov 2012 - 8:23 PM

This evening I got back from a very slow session at the first day of a two day craft fair, a bit tired and grumpy - but waiting for me was a little box from Amazon.

My 45 f1.8 + hood had arrived and after 10 mins or so quick play I'm now my usual happy-bunny self (except when I think how badly I did today compared with the same fair last year! Sad )

It really is a lovely piece of kit (even in Silver Wink )

Paul Morgan
17 Nov 2012 - 8:35 PM

I thought you already had the 45 Brian.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110307 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
17 Nov 2012 - 8:47 PM

I made the mistake of trading it in for a used Panny 45 f2.8 macro and regretted it ever since.

Now I've got the oly 60mm macro in place of the 45mm macro I was waiting to make a few bob to return the f1.8 to my bag, which I have now done.

Its going nowhere but with me from now on! Grin

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.