Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Olympus OM-D EM-5 Discussion

StrayCat e2
10 15.0k 2 Canada
19 Nov 2012 7:25AM
pb160131-copy.jpg

Olympus 14-42mm

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat e2
10 15.0k 2 Canada
19 Nov 2012 7:30AM
pb160210-001-copy-copy.jpg

A messy website.

Olympus 14-42mm & kit flash
StrayCat e2
10 15.0k 2 Canada
19 Nov 2012 7:35AM
pb160124-001-copy.jpg

Olympus 14-42mm and kit flash
brian1208 e2
11 10.4k 12 United Kingdom
19 Nov 2012 9:12AM
I like the flower shot Denny but the flash seems to be overpowering the next two images (I like the title for the spider shot though, I may have to steal that Wink )
Pete e2
13 18.5k 96 England
19 Nov 2012 11:48AM
The articulated screen came in handy this morning. I spotted this bird of prey in the garden and it appeared to be quite nervous as is feasted on a dove. I realised I'd not get away with opening the door and trying to get closer so crawled up to a window and raised the camera with the screen tilting down so I could see. I rested the Tamron 500mm on the glass to get a steady shot and used the magnified manual focus feature to obtain focus. All a bit uncomfortable, but I got this decent shot.

hawk.jpg

What bird is it? I'm thinking Goshawk?

It didn't hang around long - unlike the dove who won't be going anywhere fast

dove.jpg

brian1208 e2
19 Nov 2012 12:01PM
that's a good capture Pete. My guess would be Sparrow Hawk as here because of the eye bar and horizontal tail bars
but I'm often wrong Wink
Pete e2
13 18.5k 96 England
19 Nov 2012 12:11PM
Sparrow Hawk...hmm... yes could be. They both look similar though - anyone know how to determine which is which? So it's male then if it's a sparrow hawk as the female has a grey/blue head.

I just uploaded a short video of it eating the prey

brian1208 e2
19 Nov 2012 12:37PM
I've had a quick look and they do seem to be incredibly alike, apart from size, wth the Goshawk being considerably larger (about the size of a Buzzard)

I'm not convinced either way now! Grin
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
19 Nov 2012 2:59PM

Quote:I just uploaded a short video of it eating the prey

Would be good if you could set up a time lapse of the birds decay Smile

But a cat or fox will probably get in there first.
brian1208 e2
19 Nov 2012 3:06PM
Its grey and dank so what better way to spend a few moments than playing with my newly re-acquired 45 f1.8. My wife was out in her Studio catching up with a few of her fun bits of China Painting so I snuck up on her and got a few shots of her at work (and her mucky work place Wink )

ISO 400 with F4

45-f1-8-at-f4-pam-painting-3.jpg

45-f1-8-at-f4-pam-painting-2.jpg

45-f1-8-at-f4-pam-painting-1.jpg

and in case you think she only does "Funnies" here are a couple of her more "Proper" bits (Charlie won her the Bovington Gold Cup for China Painting this year)

pam-paint-of-charlie.jpg

pam-wisteria-vase.jpg

AnneWorner e2
7 614 42 United States
19 Nov 2012 3:16PM
I've still to use the video capability of the camera - don't know that I would be shooting the types of things you do Pete - we often think the animal world cruel, but this is nothing compared to what people do to each other. I love that flip screen, but wish it would swing to the side as the one on my E-620 - that's really my one bit*h about the camera. Mostly though, I use the viewfinder.

Paul, I don't know how many would want to see time lapse of decay - it's the maggot thing - grrrrosss! Wink
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
19 Nov 2012 3:20PM
The x2 digital zoom function is really good when shooting video.

Program it to one of you fn buttons, it instantly turns your 12-50 into a 48-200mm at a press of a button.

Quote:Paul, I don't know how many would want to see time lapse of decay - it's the maggot thing - grrrrosss!

If done well they can be quite interesting Smile
Pete e2
13 18.5k 96 England
19 Nov 2012 3:28PM
I would do but I'd prefer to have it in a controlled environment...indoors...and that would be a bit yucky not to mention smelly!
I've been thinking of setting up some outdoor studio thing so I could do some of this decay stuff.

Yes Anne the screen does have limitations. For me the non tilt in portrait mode is the biggest limitation.
SlowSong e2
6 4.6k 29 England
19 Nov 2012 3:45PM
Well, I revisited the camera shop today and had another good old play with the EM-5. I've decided against, after all that. I just can't get round how awful the menu is. I don't understand it at all and as I wear specs most of the time I found it difficult to see through the viewfinder. I found the focussing was a bit strange at times and kept jumping around, but that's probably because I hadn't got it set up. Anyway, that annoyed me too.

I had a look at the EPM2 as well seeing as Paul suggested it, but it's not half as pretty and the menu's just as much of a mystery. I'm afraid I like things to be simple and I know if I'd bought the EM-5 I'd have lost my patience with it and not used it. A shame, but perhaps Canon'll come out with something as good soon. They speak my language. BASIC.

Thanks for all your help though chaps and chappesses. It gave me lots to think about so I could make a sound decision.

Oh, and that looks like a sparrowhawk to me Pete. I get them in my garden as there's usually a veritable feast waiting for them every day. Two pigeons last year - very impressive the way they catch, then eat, everything.
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
19 Nov 2012 4:13PM

Quote:I don't understand it at all and as I wear specs most of the time I found it difficult to see through the viewfinder

Did you try it without specs Chris, my guess is that the viewfinders diopter needed adjusting for your eyes.

For about the first week I hated the menu system, then all of a sudden something clicked and it all made sense.

What lens did you try it with, the 45mm will jump around if your inside its closest focusing ability.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.