Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Olympus OM-D EM-5 Discussion

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64566 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
19 Nov 2012 - 4:39 PM

It wasn't the diopter, they just kept getting in the way. I wear varifocals too so that doesn't help.
The kit lens was on it.

If I could have a simple camera with just the basics and the fast focus and speed I'd snap it up, but I know I'll just get too frustrated with that menu.
It was very interesting to try something different though.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Nov 2012 - 4:39 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
mikehit  56742 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
19 Nov 2012 - 5:30 PM

I have found the Panasonic GX1 menus so intuitive so maybe have a look at that - within half a day I was using the buttons without even taking the camera from my eye. I bought the kit with the add-on viewfinder and 14-42 powerzoom: the detachable VF gives the option of a very compact set-up but I wish I had got the normal zoom because I find the power zoom too slow for street photography (the normal zoom is much cheaper as well). The other main differences between the two cameras are that Panasonic uses in-lens IS and it is about one stop less noise performance than the OM-D. But compared to my 7D I am very happy with it.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64566 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
19 Nov 2012 - 5:56 PM

Thanks Mike. I'll have a look.

Goggz
Goggz  72301 forum posts Wales72 Constructive Critique Points
19 Nov 2012 - 6:14 PM

Jeez, 223 pages of OM-D info...

If I ever decide to get one I'll come here first Smile

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315682 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
19 Nov 2012 - 6:29 PM

It would be easier to keep up with if it wasn`t constantly flooded with pictures Sad

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315682 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
19 Nov 2012 - 6:41 PM

Quote: It wasn't the diopter, they just kept getting in the way. I wear varifocals too so that doesn't help

Yeh I now need to wear glasses for both distance and reading, but I couldn`t be doing with varifocals they do my head in, I just set the diopter and use that.

The problem with trying cameras in shops is often that some clown has mest with the settings, and unless you already understand the system your stuffed.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 19 Nov 2012 - 6:43 PM
StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014947 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
19 Nov 2012 - 8:32 PM

Re pictures; when I have been researching camera equipment, one big complaint I have is that there are never enough pictures. Some people use cameras for photography, others get all tied up in useless techie stuff that means nothing when you're in the field. Maybe we should be posting copy and paste grafs, there are some who can sit and stare at them all day, certainly not my thing, I don't care how it works, just how to work it.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110402 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
19 Nov 2012 - 8:44 PM

Quote: I don't care how it works, just how to work it.

I'm with you Denny + how good the results are, (which is where the pictures come in Wink )

Last Modified By brian1208 at 19 Nov 2012 - 8:44 PM
SlowSong
19 Nov 2012 - 10:14 PM

Yes, but if you don't understand how to set it up and work it nothing's going to be how you want it. Sad
And if you make a mistake, if you don't understand how to work it you won't know how to fix it. Sad

Paul Morgan
19 Nov 2012 - 10:15 PM

Quote: I'm with you Denny + how good the results are, (which is where the pictures come in

At 600 pixels, are you being serious.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110402 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
19 Nov 2012 - 10:54 PM

Quote: At 600 pixels, are you being serious.

Not if you don't want me to be Paul Grin

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014947 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
20 Nov 2012 - 4:00 AM

Quote: Yes, but if you don't understand how to set it up and work it nothing's going to be how you want it.
And if you make a mistake, if you don't understand how to work it you won't know how to fix it.

That's what we're talking about, isn't it? I'm saying I don't want to build one, I just want to learn how to use it. The menu system is not as complicated as you have made yourself believe, it's just different from systems you're accustomed to. We all go through that when we switch brands, because we all tend to resist change. I wouldn't want to have any Canon and any Olympus, Pentax, or any other brand and use them both equaly as much, it would be too confusing. Most of us in this thread have made a clean move to the OM-D, or at least are thinking about it. If you think about how much time you've spent using Canon kit, and the amount of time you spent in a shop with an OM-D, without any prior Olympus experience, what would you expect?Smile

As far as 600 pixel images, what would you suggest Paul, another huge argument with Pete? No, it's what we are limited to, and I accept it with no complaints. I say again; it's a hobby, and I don't take it too seriously. I'm not into quoting techie stuff from the web, it doesn't mean anything to me.

StrayCat
20 Nov 2012 - 5:06 AM

pb190307-001-copy.jpg

Spider wrapping its tiny prey in a web.

Panasonic 100-300mm and Olympus FL36 flash.

StrayCat
20 Nov 2012 - 5:15 AM

pb190058-001-copy.jpg

Rockhopper diving.

Olympus 14-42mm and FL36 flash 1600 ISO

brian1208
20 Nov 2012 - 6:28 AM

excellent timing on the Rock Hopper Denny, the flash is better controlled as well

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.