Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Olympus OM-D EM-5 Discussion

StrayCat e2
10 15.0k 2 Canada
20 Nov 2012 7:15AM
Thanks Brian, being much further from the subject may have done it.

Denny

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat e2
10 15.0k 2 Canada
20 Nov 2012 7:47PM
pb190049-copy.jpg

Olympus 14-42 kit lens at 26mm and Olympus FL36 Flash, ISO 1600, no crop.

Rockhopper Penguins
StrayCat e2
10 15.0k 2 Canada
20 Nov 2012 8:00PM
I would appreciate Pete and Joshwa, who started this thread, giving us their take on whether we should be posting our photos we've taken with the thread's main subject, the OM-D, and the lenses that it uses. It seems a damper has been put on the thread since the complaints about the site being flooded with photos, and a couple of us replying to that. Is what Paul said official, or does management feel differently. I'd like to know from management themselves, then I'll govern myself accordingly.

Denny
brian1208 e2
11 10.4k 12 United Kingdom
20 Nov 2012 8:27PM
Don't bother yourself about it Denny, if there had been a problem we would have heard from Josh or Pete by now (and isn't Pete posting both still and video himself?)

These things develop over time and there will always be dissenting voices Wink
Pete e2
13 18.5k 96 England
20 Nov 2012 9:04PM
We have no issues with it. It's been a really interesting thread. If we could start again it would have been better done as part of a group with the images being posted in the group's gallery and we could have different discussions about different aspects started as different new forum threads.
StrayCat e2
10 15.0k 2 Canada
20 Nov 2012 9:36PM
Thanks Brian, Pete; who could have foeseen the thread continueing as it has. It has been interesting and informative for me, that's for sure, and I have thoroughly enjoyed being a participant. It has helped put me back in the photography loop after several years of floundering around at it. I'm enjoying it more than ever, and I wish the same for ohers.Grin

Denny
rogerfry e2
9 509 United Kingdom
20 Nov 2012 10:10PM

Quote:We have no issues with it. It's been a really interesting thread. If we could start again it would have been better done as part of a group with the images being posted in the group's gallery and we could have different discussions about different aspects started as different new forum threads.

I think it works fine the way it is at the moment.....if you split it into separate threads, I think it would gradually die out.

If anyone is unhappy about the photographs being posted, they can always scroll past them! Many of the shots are interesting from the point that they show what can be done with a particular lens, and make you think about your own approach to things. ( It was shots by Pete and Brian, and their comments about it's focussing capabilities they led me into buying the Olympus 45-150!)

The forum's great......if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

With regard to the all the recent comments regarding the complexity of the menu system, whilst I agree that there is an awful lot tucked away 'behind the scenes', from the point of day to day photography, the quick menu on the rear screen gives access to pretty much anything you might want to change with the tap of a finger.
SlowSong e2
6 4.6k 29 England
20 Nov 2012 10:10PM
Well, it's certainly been a help to me. It was Pete's pic and his blurb that started me off thinking about an EM-5, then reading through the whole thread and seeing all the excellent images uploaded. Although I've decided not to buy one, the thread has been very interesting and informative and I think it's enhanced by the uploaded images.
x
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
20 Nov 2012 10:40PM
What`s up with you miserable lot then, did none of you see the smiley, sorry I forgot this was a banal back patting club.

Quote:If we could start again it would have been better done as part of a group with the images being posted in the group's gallery and we could have different discussions about different aspects started as different new forum threads

Its already available Pete, nobody here wants it, well most don`t, someone recently posted a decent review, and not even a single person posted a thank you Sad

The problem with this thread is that some people are rude, and don`t think of others, you ask a question and it gets ignored unless you have patted some ones back. they then flood the thread with images, if there first posting gets ignored they would keep posting until they get a reply, they then become abusive when you ask them to stop.

If your going to post six images post them together in one posting, instead of shouting for a response.

Sorry Chris, this is not aimed at you Smile
StrayCat e2
10 15.0k 2 Canada
20 Nov 2012 10:42PM
I saw the frowny.Tongue

Pat, Pat.Wink
rogerfry e2
9 509 United Kingdom
20 Nov 2012 10:45PM
Should have said 40-150 above. Sad
Gudgeon 7 128 England
20 Nov 2012 10:53PM
Prior to buying the Olympus I was a Nikon man and found numerous tutorials and books on the cameras I owned. Loads of technical detail but relatively few images without hunting around.

I now own the EM-5 and find hardly anything with the exception of this thread.

Paul first wet my appetite over the Olympus and this thread confirmed what I needed to know. I read reviews and look at the relatively predictable 'sameness' of the images in those reviews but they never give me what the images on this thread give me, first hand experience of ordinary (if you'll forgive the term) day to day images made by ordinary people with a love of photography and the camera. They inspire me in the sense that if they can do it, so can I.

I find the images great for judging a lens and its ability to focus on a variety of situations in a way that words can never describe, long may it continue and I can also add that those same images have helped me produce a wishlist of lenses for the future. Grin
brian1208 e2
11 10.4k 12 United Kingdom
20 Nov 2012 10:54PM

Quote:better done as part of a group with the images being posted in the group's gallery

a bit like Paul's EVIL users group?
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
20 Nov 2012 11:00PM

Quote:a bit like Paul's EVIL users group?

Can`t be bothered with you lot any more, your a complete waste of space, lifes to short Smile
joshwa e2
4 605 United Kingdom
21 Nov 2012 12:02AM
Hi, I've just added a number of night shots taken with the E-M5, the Panasonic 14-45mm lens, the Olympus OM Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 and Olympus OM Zuiko 135mm f/3.5 into the Equipment Database: http://www.ephotozine.com/equipment/item/olympus-om-d-e-m5-3968/images (You'll find images from Pete there as well)

You can also upload and contribute images to the Equipment Database - this can then build into another place for people to find a wide variety of images Smile

Or if you wanted to submit images from particular lenses, this can be done in the EQDB as well Smile

When I started this thread I had NO IDEA that it would grow to be such a long running thread!!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.