Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Olympus OM-D EM-5 Discussion

StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
21 Nov 2012 4:19AM
Surprise, surprise Josh! It's because we like you, man.Smile

Thanks for the link, will look into it.

Denny

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

montechoro e2
12 2.3k 2 United Kingdom
21 Nov 2012 7:06AM
Just had an email from Amazon offering me a staggering 1.99 off this camera and lens. Bargain
brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
21 Nov 2012 7:59AM
Its amazing what you find out, I've been here for 9 years and never knew about the EQDB, all these dusty nooks and crannies in EPZ Hall Wink

Thanks for pointing the way Josh
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
21 Nov 2012 8:58AM

Quote:Sorry Chris, this is not aimed at you
Oops. I never posted my comment as a come back to anyone. Sorry Paul, I must have got wrong end of the stick. Nothing meant by it. I was just saying that I liked the pictures on the thread as they added to my knowledge of the camera and for no other reason, and that Pete's blurb was what set me off. I wasn't brown-nosing or anything. Smile

(Oh, OK then, I was. GrinWink )
xx
rogerfry e2
9 525 United Kingdom
21 Nov 2012 11:55AM
....and lo, it came to pass after a great wailing and gnashing of teeth, that peace descended on the land, and a revelation was made into the faithful of a great mystery called the EQDB......Tongue
ChrisV e2
8 889 26 United Kingdom
21 Nov 2012 12:20PM
Anyone got an Olympus 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 Zuiko Digital? I would look bakc over this thread, but at 225 pages that's a bit daunting.

I haven't got and OM-D I'm using a Panasonic G3 and GX1 - longer term I'm finding the OM-D calling to me more so than the overpriced and oversized GH3.

I've only recently got the GX1 [I had a GF1 a few years ago that got nicked Sad] and I love it - especially teamed with the 20mm f1.7. I've also got the kit zoom and a 100-300 but wanted a fast standard zoom and the Panny 12-35 is a bit out of my budget at present. I don't have the 14-54mm in my hands yet, but picked up a copy from eBay at a very good price. I've seen bad reviews and very good reviews - anyone have any experience of it?

I know it will leave me without IS of any kind at present, but as I mainly shoot people I don't really have a burning need for it at the shorter focal lengths [although it would probably start to become useful at the tele end of this zoom range].

I have fast[ish] high quality lenses for my Canon kit and like what FF can give me, but I don't like the weight and bulk. Although I think it's a compromise, I think for most of my shooting that would be fairly small and quite acceptable providing you're looking at like for like [and that means faster/higher quality glass].

I often find myself shooting in pretty awful lighting conditions [sometimes by choice!] and although I think high ISO performance on the current 16mp sensors [I presume they're the same Sony-fabricated ones through the m4/3 range] has improved drastically over previous offerings, slow lenses pull low-light work back.

So - any experience of this lens? - I know it's quite large, but not in comparison to my Canon 24-105!
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
21 Nov 2012 12:42PM

Quote:So - any experience of this lens? - I know it's quite large, but not in comparison to my Canon 24-105!

I had one for about 7 years, only recently parted with it, its a cracking lens.

You can get adapters that allow them to autofocus on M4/3, be it a little slow, the focus was nice and quick on my E3.

I sold all my 4/3 lenses, its pretty pointless using them on M4/3 unless your a bit crazy, the pro grade stuff is almost as bulky as the Canon L`s Smile
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
21 Nov 2012 1:00PM
Seriously though if you can, return the lens for a refund unless you only want to use it in manual focus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVymeEb25IQ
ChrisV e2
8 889 26 United Kingdom
21 Nov 2012 2:13PM
Doh!

I only saw the lens on eBay yesterday at a bargain price and in my haste misread it as m4/3! [And I should've realised there's only really the new and pricey Panasonic 12-35 f2.8 currently available in that range] I did get it really cheap though - although that's going to look not so cheap if I buy an adapter with the electrical coupling and even then - although they've speeded up AF on the current Pannys that looks pretty slow.

Caveat emptor I suppose...
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
22 Nov 2012 12:17AM
Some of the later 4/3 lenses are OK, they will not focus as fast as some of the M4/3 lenses and certainly not as bad as that example I showed you.

The problem with some of the older lenses like this 14/54 Mark 1 is that there was no firmware upgrade to make it compatible to work properly on M4/3.

The OMD`s kit lens the 12-50mm, more or less covers the same range, be it a fair bit slower, optically its pretty good, its weather sealed to match the body, and its a no brainer for the price.
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
22 Nov 2012 3:40AM
pb210129-001-copy.jpg

Panasonic 100-300mm at 150 plus Olympus FL36 Flash on TTL Auto
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
22 Nov 2012 4:05AM
pb190146-copy2.jpg

A pair of Hibiscus.

Olympus 14-42mm and Olympus FL36 Flash
brian1208 e2
22 Nov 2012 7:43AM
the lighting and detail of the Hibiscus are excellent Denny, That lens seems capable of very good results
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
22 Nov 2012 1:01PM
Very good pic of the hibiscus Denny. Smile You deserve a pat on the back for that! Wink

The 14-42mm, although a kit lens, performs beyond its price bracket, IMO.
brian1208 e2
22 Nov 2012 1:13PM
I've just come back from a great session shooting some wild sailboard action and playing with the CAF mode.

I owe an apology to Mr Olympus for having made rude comments about CAF, under the right conditions its works superbly! I have got several sequences that are at least as good as the best I ever achieved with the canon + 70-300LIS (or any of my other long lenses) Grin

(I will no doubt be posting s few in the main gallery and, who knows, may put one or two in the newly discovered EQDB Wink )

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.