Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Get on1's Perfect Effects 9.5 for FREE! (£48 value)

Olympus OM-D EM-5 Discussion

StrayCat Plus
11 16.1k 2 Canada
21 Nov 2012 4:19AM
Surprise, surprise Josh! It's because we like you, man.Smile

Thanks for the link, will look into it.

Denny

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

montechoro 12 2.3k 2 United Kingdom
21 Nov 2012 7:06AM
Just had an email from Amazon offering me a staggering 1.99 off this camera and lens. Bargain
brian1208 Plus
11 10.7k 12 United Kingdom
21 Nov 2012 7:59AM
Its amazing what you find out, I've been here for 9 years and never knew about the EQDB, all these dusty nooks and crannies in EPZ Hall Wink

Thanks for pointing the way Josh
SlowSong Plus
6 5.0k 29 England
21 Nov 2012 8:58AM

Quote:Sorry Chris, this is not aimed at you
Oops. I never posted my comment as a come back to anyone. Sorry Paul, I must have got wrong end of the stick. Nothing meant by it. I was just saying that I liked the pictures on the thread as they added to my knowledge of the camera and for no other reason, and that Pete's blurb was what set me off. I wasn't brown-nosing or anything. Smile

(Oh, OK then, I was. GrinWink )
xx
21 Nov 2012 11:55AM
....and lo, it came to pass after a great wailing and gnashing of teeth, that peace descended on the land, and a revelation was made into the faithful of a great mystery called the EQDB......Tongue
ChrisV 8 1.0k 26 United Kingdom
21 Nov 2012 12:20PM
Anyone got an Olympus 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 Zuiko Digital? I would look bakc over this thread, but at 225 pages that's a bit daunting.

I haven't got and OM-D I'm using a Panasonic G3 and GX1 - longer term I'm finding the OM-D calling to me more so than the overpriced and oversized GH3.

I've only recently got the GX1 [I had a GF1 a few years ago that got nicked Sad] and I love it - especially teamed with the 20mm f1.7. I've also got the kit zoom and a 100-300 but wanted a fast standard zoom and the Panny 12-35 is a bit out of my budget at present. I don't have the 14-54mm in my hands yet, but picked up a copy from eBay at a very good price. I've seen bad reviews and very good reviews - anyone have any experience of it?

I know it will leave me without IS of any kind at present, but as I mainly shoot people I don't really have a burning need for it at the shorter focal lengths [although it would probably start to become useful at the tele end of this zoom range].

I have fast[ish] high quality lenses for my Canon kit and like what FF can give me, but I don't like the weight and bulk. Although I think it's a compromise, I think for most of my shooting that would be fairly small and quite acceptable providing you're looking at like for like [and that means faster/higher quality glass].

I often find myself shooting in pretty awful lighting conditions [sometimes by choice!] and although I think high ISO performance on the current 16mp sensors [I presume they're the same Sony-fabricated ones through the m4/3 range] has improved drastically over previous offerings, slow lenses pull low-light work back.

So - any experience of this lens? - I know it's quite large, but not in comparison to my Canon 24-105!
Paul Morgan Plus
13 16.6k 6 England
21 Nov 2012 12:42PM

Quote:So - any experience of this lens? - I know it's quite large, but not in comparison to my Canon 24-105!

I had one for about 7 years, only recently parted with it, its a cracking lens.

You can get adapters that allow them to autofocus on M4/3, be it a little slow, the focus was nice and quick on my E3.

I sold all my 4/3 lenses, its pretty pointless using them on M4/3 unless your a bit crazy, the pro grade stuff is almost as bulky as the Canon L`s Smile
Paul Morgan Plus
13 16.6k 6 England
21 Nov 2012 1:00PM
Seriously though if you can, return the lens for a refund unless you only want to use it in manual focus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVymeEb25IQ
ChrisV 8 1.0k 26 United Kingdom
21 Nov 2012 2:13PM
Doh!

I only saw the lens on eBay yesterday at a bargain price and in my haste misread it as m4/3! [And I should've realised there's only really the new and pricey Panasonic 12-35 f2.8 currently available in that range] I did get it really cheap though - although that's going to look not so cheap if I buy an adapter with the electrical coupling and even then - although they've speeded up AF on the current Pannys that looks pretty slow.

Caveat emptor I suppose...
Paul Morgan Plus
13 16.6k 6 England
22 Nov 2012 12:17AM
Some of the later 4/3 lenses are OK, they will not focus as fast as some of the M4/3 lenses and certainly not as bad as that example I showed you.

The problem with some of the older lenses like this 14/54 Mark 1 is that there was no firmware upgrade to make it compatible to work properly on M4/3.

The OMD`s kit lens the 12-50mm, more or less covers the same range, be it a fair bit slower, optically its pretty good, its weather sealed to match the body, and its a no brainer for the price.
StrayCat Plus
11 16.1k 2 Canada
22 Nov 2012 3:40AM
pb210129-001-copy.jpg

Panasonic 100-300mm at 150 plus Olympus FL36 Flash on TTL Auto
StrayCat Plus
11 16.1k 2 Canada
22 Nov 2012 4:05AM
pb190146-copy2.jpg

A pair of Hibiscus.

Olympus 14-42mm and Olympus FL36 Flash
brian1208 Plus
22 Nov 2012 7:43AM
the lighting and detail of the Hibiscus are excellent Denny, That lens seems capable of very good results
Carabosse Plus
12 39.7k 269 England
22 Nov 2012 1:01PM
Very good pic of the hibiscus Denny. Smile You deserve a pat on the back for that! Wink

The 14-42mm, although a kit lens, performs beyond its price bracket, IMO.
brian1208 Plus
22 Nov 2012 1:13PM
I've just come back from a great session shooting some wild sailboard action and playing with the CAF mode.

I owe an apology to Mr Olympus for having made rude comments about CAF, under the right conditions its works superbly! I have got several sequences that are at least as good as the best I ever achieved with the canon + 70-300LIS (or any of my other long lenses) Grin

(I will no doubt be posting s few in the main gallery and, who knows, may put one or two in the newly discovered EQDB Wink )

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.