Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Olympus OM-D EM-5 Discussion

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64375 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
22 Nov 2012 - 1:14 PM

Sorry, but what's an EQDB?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Nov 2012 - 1:14 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
22 Nov 2012 - 1:18 PM

Quote: Sorry, but what's an EQDB?

Equipment Database. Smile

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
22 Nov 2012 - 1:20 PM

Quote: I've just come back from a great session shooting some wild sailboard action and playing with the CAF mode.

I owe an apology to Mr Olympus for having made rude comments about CAF, under the right conditions its works superbly!

So what did you do differently, Brian? Or was it just specific conditions in which CAF works well?

joshwa
joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 3601 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
22 Nov 2012 - 2:06 PM

Here's a pic of my OMD with some lenses I've used for night shots:

dscf9026.jpg

with the Panasonic 14-45mm: (13 sec | f/8.0 | 45.0 mm | ISO 200)
http://www.magezinepublishing.com/equipment/images/equipment/OMD-EM5-3968/highre...

with the Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 (15 sec | f/8.0 | 50.0 mm | ISO 200)
http://www.magezinepublishing.com/equipment/images/equipment/OMD-EM5-3968/highre...

with the Zuiko 135mm f/3.5 (3.2 sec | f/5.6 | 135.0 mm | ISO 200)

Be interested to see other people's night shots Smile

rogerfry
rogerfry e2 Member 8505 forum postsrogerfry vcard United Kingdom
22 Nov 2012 - 3:08 PM

Brian.....Great sailboard shots....are you using focus point groups, or single point for these?

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110236 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
22 Nov 2012 - 3:26 PM

Quote: I've just come back from a great session shooting some wild sailboard action and playing with the CAF mode.

I owe an apology to Mr Olympus for having made rude comments about CAF, under the right conditions its works superbly!

So what did you do differently, Brian? Or was it just specific conditions in which CAF works well?

I think first and foremost it was the conditions, then the fact that I was trying it on subjects that were filling a larger proportion of the frame and finally, maybe I was able to give the system longer to lock on as I know this subject well and was able to predict, then track the action as it began.

Roger, all single point, full sized focus

I've just finished going through over a thousand shots and its fascinating to see how the consistency of focus improves from the moment I switched from SAF+M mode to CAF. I could nail single shots in SAF but trying to follow the action at 4fps always resulted in some lost focus whereas with CAF less than 10% were lost in action. (mind you, if I didn't get good lock to start with, they were all OOF! Wink )

To say I'm delighted is an understatement (even if I am knackered with both the windy shooting conditions and the mammoth processing blitz Grin )

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110236 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
22 Nov 2012 - 3:42 PM

If you have the interest, time and energy to look at a lot more of these I've put a selection of some of the better ones up on my website here

Makes me tired just looking at what they are up to! Grin

Carabosse
22 Nov 2012 - 7:02 PM

Just had a look at the ones you've posted on here, and also on your own site, Brian. Wow........... I wish I had a camera that could do that! Wink

Great pics - but your own skill and experience must play a part. Smile

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315202 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
22 Nov 2012 - 7:06 PM

Quote: Here's a pic of my OMD with some lenses I've used for night shots:

Quote: Be interested to see other people's night shots

Thanks Josh Smile

Though it would more than likely get a better response being posted here, under its own thread.

http://www.ephotozine.com/groups/evil-csc-m4-3-users-and-meets-764

brian1208
22 Nov 2012 - 7:27 PM

Joshwa, here's an example of a night shot from a coach using the 12-50 kit lens

M25 on a dark, wet night

brian1208
22 Nov 2012 - 7:29 PM

Quote: Just had a look at the ones you've posted on here, and also on your own site, Brian. Wow........... I wish I had a camera that could do that! Wink

Great pics - but your own skill and experience must play a part. Smile

As you know CB - I've got a "Great Camera" and that makes all the difference (and the more I use it the better it gets! Tongue )

rogerfry
rogerfry e2 Member 8505 forum postsrogerfry vcard United Kingdom
22 Nov 2012 - 8:04 PM

Quote: Here's a pic of my OMD with some lenses I've used for night shots:

Joshwa, have you had a chance to compare the image quality of the 50 1.4 against the new 45 ? (My son's got one I might be able to persuade him to part with, but I'm not sure if it's worth buying the adaptor).

Last Modified By rogerfry at 22 Nov 2012 - 8:08 PM
StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014688 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
22 Nov 2012 - 8:13 PM

Roger, I haven't tried legacy lenses on the OM-D, but I did use many of them on the PM1, and where they haven't been designed to correct problems inherent in digital photography, CA becomes a big problem. I found that even cheap M4/3 lenses outperformed originally expensive film lenses. It isn't that the optics are not top quality, they're designed for a different system, and it shows. That's not to say that it isn't loads of fun to use those old lenses and see what interesting results you get.

Denny

Carabosse
22 Nov 2012 - 9:04 PM

I got rid of my legacy lenses in the end. As Denny says they're not designed for digital. However, some people use them for a certain 'look' - or so they say! Grin

Gudgeon
Gudgeon  7128 forum posts England
22 Nov 2012 - 11:27 PM

I see that 'Digital Camera' have done a comparative review of 8 macro lenses in this months issue (2 Canon, 2 Nikon, 1 Sony, 1 Tamron, 1 Sigma and the Olympus 60mm.
The Olympus was the outright winner. Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.