Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Olympus OM-D EM-5 Discussion

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314811 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
11 Dec 2012 - 7:56 PM

Quote: Whilst to my eye its clear the 5Dmk2 + 75-300LIS has done the better job I don't think that the EM5 has fallen too far short (particularly considering the different light)

How can you really tell that one has done a better job than the other, all I can see is that you have done a better job in the first one.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
11 Dec 2012 - 7:56 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110152 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
11 Dec 2012 - 8:15 PM

My comment is based on knowledge of the consistency of my technique, based on literally 1000's of shots over the years.

The fact that you feel the need to comment as you do rather supports my point that the EM5 is capable of good results with birds in flight (which is contrary to the general opinion floating about on the web)

You will also have spotted my qualification of my comments

Quote: Whilst to my eye its clear the 5Dmk2 + 75-300LIS has done the better job I don't think that the EM5 has fallen too far short (particularly considering the different light).

I look forward to trying to repeat this shot with the EM5 next Summer

Last Modified By brian1208 at 11 Dec 2012 - 8:17 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314811 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
11 Dec 2012 - 8:43 PM

Quote: The fact that you feel the need to comment as you do rather supports my point that the EM5 is capable of good results with birds in flight

To be honest Brian its pretty horrible, look at all that ca.

But like you say, taken under different situations.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110152 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
11 Dec 2012 - 9:45 PM

Paul, your opinion is as equally valid as mine but until you post some examples of your BIF shots showing the results you get with the same lenses / conditions I am happy with what I have written.

Its information, not an example of great bird photography Wink

Paul Morgan
11 Dec 2012 - 9:50 PM

Quote: Paul, your opinion is as equally valid as mine but until you post some examples of your BIF shots showing the results you get

I`m not as mad as you Brian, I prefer dead birds Smile

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014407 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
11 Dec 2012 - 11:35 PM

Imo, Brian, you have demonstrated on many occassions, in this thread, and in others, that you are quite willing to post your work for criticism. You have also posted attempts to shoot BIF that have failed. In this case I believe the two images give a clear indication of the capabilities of the much cheaper, much smaller, and much lighter kit vs the other. When all everything is factored it, imo, the E-M5 outperforms the Canon by a mile. And that's fact, not a pat on the back. Argueing with someone till you're blue in the face is a total waste of time, you can't win.

Denny

Last Modified By StrayCat at 11 Dec 2012 - 11:36 PM
Paul Morgan
12 Dec 2012 - 12:07 AM

Quote: When all everything is factored it, imo, the E-M5 outperforms the Canon by a mile. And that's fact, not a pat on the back

?? Smile

brian1208
12 Dec 2012 - 9:16 AM

Thanks Denny.

In my opinion m4/3rds will never match the competence of properly selected DSLR systems when it comes to top flight (pun aware Wink ) bird photography but as always, I'm interested to see how far I can push the limits by developing better / different technique to get the best from the EM-5 (it amuses me to read the so-called "Experts" across the web declaiming how this system is "No Good" for sports, action photography, birds in flight etc.)

I enjoy sharing any info I get in attempt to encourage others to push their own pre-conceptions a bit but never believe in my own "Rightness" in doing so and, as I said to Paul, I recognise that others views are equally valid so never view dissenting opinion as "Argument".

(However, the weight that I put on those views is moderated by my understanding of the experience the OP has in the subject under discussion - as I see it, its a bit like "Peer Reviews" of my work in my past career as a Scientist Wink )

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014407 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
12 Dec 2012 - 8:16 PM

I agree Brian, and it is probably only going to arise when you compare systems as you did above, which is only natural to do. I find myself, maybe because I have done so much now with this little camera, not thinking of any comparisons except how I can improve with the kit I'm using. I consider myself fortunate to have so many subjects to photograph. In the past, I went through draughts like everyone else, and would lose interest, but this camera has renewed my enthusiasm for taking pictures. I've dropped a few hints around for Christmas, I'll be getting that 60mm in the new year. I'm waiting for a big snowfall in the Rockies now, and I want to get there asap after it happens to get some landscapes, big and small.Smile

Denny

mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
12 Dec 2012 - 10:17 PM

It's good to see such enthusiasm, as shown by Brian and Denny in particular, but also by many other contributors to this topic. It helps to bolster the desire to try new things, push a bit further, make the effort. Thanks everyone.

Paul Morgan
12 Dec 2012 - 11:06 PM

Quote: it amuses me to read the so-called "Experts" across the web declaiming how this system is "No Good" for sports, action photography, birds in flight etc

They should all be made to use old film camera`s, its no good blaming the auto focus Smile

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318430 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
12 Dec 2012 - 11:42 PM

The manual focus is a bit naff with a system lens! I much prefer the manual focus when using old lenses on it.

Changing subject - I uploaded a stacked star trail photo in the gallery the other night taken using the OM-D. Once again LiveTime helped me gauge the correct exposure. The video below utilises the individual frames - each was a two minute exposure and the clouds that came into view record as blurred streaks. The light is natural until the chorus where I thought I'd better add some colour (and lens flare) to change pace a bit - I placed the start of each frame on the beat of the drum.

Last Modified By Pete at 12 Dec 2012 - 11:59 PM
AnneWorner
AnneWorner e2 Member 6602 forum postsAnneWorner vcard United States41 Constructive Critique Points
12 Dec 2012 - 11:45 PM

Music and images merged in fine harmony Pete. Lovely to see this after seeing your upload in the gallery.

Anne

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318430 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
13 Dec 2012 - 12:00 AM

Thanks Anne
Here's another I did on the night Patrick Moore died
startrail2.jpg

Paul Morgan
13 Dec 2012 - 12:31 AM

Quote: The manual focus is a bit naff with a system lens! I much prefer the manual focus when using old lenses on it

Yes it is, and the reason I carry two 19mm lenses Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.