Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Olympus OM-D EM-5 Discussion

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315244 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jan 2013 - 9:21 PM

New 60mm on the way

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2013/01/new-sig...

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
29 Jan 2013 - 9:21 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

joshwa
joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 3601 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
29 Jan 2013 - 9:27 PM

Yes we posted the news this morning Smile
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/sigma-60mm-f2-8-dn-art-mirrorless-lens-announc...

And will be reviewing when available.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315244 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jan 2013 - 9:41 PM

LOl how did I miss that Smile

Looks like there changing the design of the current 19 and 30mm to match.

Probably explains why there so cheap Smile

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
1 Feb 2013 - 4:16 PM

OK, I have to photograph some documents tomorrow - it will be in a church where the available light is OK but not fantastic. Nothing special about the docs: just ordinary typed A4. There will be only a limited amount of time to do the job and a tripod is a no-no.

Any suggestions for best focal length and settings? I'd prefer not to use flash if possible.

ChrisV
ChrisV  7771 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
1 Feb 2013 - 4:47 PM

Quote: OK, I have to photograph some documents tomorrow - it will be in a church where the available light is OK but not fantastic. Nothing special about the docs: just ordinary typed A4. There will be only a limited amount of time to do the job and a tripod is a no-no.

Any suggestions for best focal length and settings? I'd prefer not to use flash if possible.

Shortest focal length you've got that doesn't give barrel distortion that's unacceptable [because you can use slower shutter speeds]. Widest aperture you have [because you don't need any depth of field so long as you're photographing flat]. Can you move the documents to where there is a decent amount of light through a window, or failing that, directly below whatever artificial light is there?

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
1 Feb 2013 - 5:28 PM

Thanks Chris. I'm experimenting with the Panny 20mm f1.7 at home at the moment.

I will literally have just a few minutes to photograph perhaps 30 pages... and there will not be another opportunity to do so as the docs are being brought in specially. So I want to get it right! Smile

Paul Morgan
1 Feb 2013 - 8:00 PM

Church lighting can be very unpredictable, take along a flash unit Just in case, and if need be use it off camera or pick up the Olympus macro arm light, very handy.

https://vimeo.com/44157906

ChrisV
2 Feb 2013 - 10:03 PM

Quote: Thanks Chris. I'm experimenting with the Panny 20mm f1.7 at home at the moment.

I will literally have just a few minutes to photograph perhaps 30 pages... and there will not be another opportunity to do so as the docs are being brought in specially. So I want to get it right! Smile

That's a great little lens and pretty good close up. I'd set the ISO quite high - you should still get a fair degree of legibility so long as the type size isn't really tiny.

I suppose the other thing to consider is direction of light - maybe use live view and make sure you're blocking as little of the light as possible?

Last Modified By ChrisV at 2 Feb 2013 - 10:06 PM
Paul Morgan
2 Feb 2013 - 10:11 PM

With the OMD`s ibis there should be no need to raise the ISO Smile

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014725 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
4 Feb 2013 - 5:17 AM

Olympus MAL-1 Flash

ChrisV
4 Feb 2013 - 2:49 PM

Quote: With the OMD`s ibis there should be no need to raise the ISO Smile

You might be right - with the lens fully open @f1.7 I've just tested in the office on a dull day at base ISO and I'm getting a shutter speed of 1/60 on aperture priority. So you'd probably get away with it even with a wading bird taking the shot.

Paul Morgan
4 Feb 2013 - 9:57 PM

The old OMD offer of a free 45mm lens ended on the 31st January, but there`s an even better new offer now.

This time its a choice, either a 45mm portrait lens + spare battery or the two part grip.

http://olympus-omd-freelensgrip.sales-promotions.com/

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
4 Feb 2013 - 11:18 PM

I took a day holiday today and went for a walk in Monsal Dale with mates and their dog. I got him to run towards me and took this using the continuous AF with focus tracking. It's the first time I've used the feature and it did quite well.

harvey.jpg

Carabosse
5 Feb 2013 - 12:37 AM

Seems to have worked very nicely. Smile

Paul Morgan
5 Feb 2013 - 12:48 AM

Looks pretty good Pete, most camera`s can struggle a bit with objects approaching the lens, so it did well, what lens was being used.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.