Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Olympus OM-D EM-5 Discussion

Paul Morgan 13 16.4k 6 England
29 Jan 2013 9:21PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

joshwa Plus
4 733 United Kingdom
29 Jan 2013 9:27PM
Yes we posted the news this morning Smile
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/sigma-60mm-f2-8-dn-art-mirrorless-lens-announced-21229

And will be reviewing when available.
29 Jan 2013 9:41PM
LOl how did I miss that Smile

Looks like there changing the design of the current 19 and 30mm to match.

Probably explains why there so cheap Smile
Carabosse Plus
12 39.7k 269 England
1 Feb 2013 4:16PM
OK, I have to photograph some documents tomorrow - it will be in a church where the available light is OK but not fantastic. Nothing special about the docs: just ordinary typed A4. There will be only a limited amount of time to do the job and a tripod is a no-no.

Any suggestions for best focal length and settings? I'd prefer not to use flash if possible.
ChrisV 8 979 26 United Kingdom
1 Feb 2013 4:47PM

Quote:OK, I have to photograph some documents tomorrow - it will be in a church where the available light is OK but not fantastic. Nothing special about the docs: just ordinary typed A4. There will be only a limited amount of time to do the job and a tripod is a no-no.

Any suggestions for best focal length and settings? I'd prefer not to use flash if possible.

Shortest focal length you've got that doesn't give barrel distortion that's unacceptable [because you can use slower shutter speeds]. Widest aperture you have [because you don't need any depth of field so long as you're photographing flat]. Can you move the documents to where there is a decent amount of light through a window, or failing that, directly below whatever artificial light is there?
Carabosse Plus
12 39.7k 269 England
1 Feb 2013 5:28PM
Thanks Chris. I'm experimenting with the Panny 20mm f1.7 at home at the moment.

I will literally have just a few minutes to photograph perhaps 30 pages... and there will not be another opportunity to do so as the docs are being brought in specially. So I want to get it right! Smile
1 Feb 2013 8:00PM
Church lighting can be very unpredictable, take along a flash unit Just in case, and if need be use it off camera or pick up the Olympus macro arm light, very handy.

https://vimeo.com/44157906
2 Feb 2013 10:03PM

Quote:Thanks Chris. I'm experimenting with the Panny 20mm f1.7 at home at the moment.

I will literally have just a few minutes to photograph perhaps 30 pages... and there will not be another opportunity to do so as the docs are being brought in specially. So I want to get it right! Smile

That's a great little lens and pretty good close up. I'd set the ISO quite high - you should still get a fair degree of legibility so long as the type size isn't really tiny.

I suppose the other thing to consider is direction of light - maybe use live view and make sure you're blocking as little of the light as possible?
2 Feb 2013 10:11PM
With the OMD`s ibis there should be no need to raise the ISO Smile
StrayCat Plus
11 16.0k 2 Canada
4 Feb 2013 5:17AM
4 Feb 2013 2:49PM

Quote:With the OMD`s ibis there should be no need to raise the ISO Smile

You might be right - with the lens fully open @f1.7 I've just tested in the office on a dull day at base ISO and I'm getting a shutter speed of 1/60 on aperture priority. So you'd probably get away with it even with a wading bird taking the shot.
4 Feb 2013 9:57PM
The old OMD offer of a free 45mm lens ended on the 31st January, but there`s an even better new offer now.

This time its a choice, either a 45mm portrait lens + spare battery or the two part grip.

http://olympus-omd-freelensgrip.sales-promotions.com/
Pete Plus
13 18.7k 96 England
4 Feb 2013 11:18PM
I took a day holiday today and went for a walk in Monsal Dale with mates and their dog. I got him to run towards me and took this using the continuous AF with focus tracking. It's the first time I've used the feature and it did quite well.

harvey.jpg

Carabosse Plus
12 39.7k 269 England
5 Feb 2013 12:37AM
Seems to have worked very nicely. Smile
5 Feb 2013 12:48AM
Looks pretty good Pete, most camera`s can struggle a bit with objects approaching the lens, so it did well, what lens was being used.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.