Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Olympus OM-D EM-5 Discussion

conrad e2
10 10.9k 116
19 Feb 2013 3:31PM
Something about my camera puzzles me, does anyone know the correct setting for this? I have the eye detection on, so the electronic viewfinder is activated when my eye comes close - but I thought this would mean that when I don't look through the viewfinder, the LCD screen should be on, and it isn't. I only see something on the screen when using the menus, not when taking a photo. Have I overlooked a setting? (I still lost in the menus, there are so many more options than on my old 20D...).

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
19 Feb 2013 3:44PM
I get that sometimes when something is close to the viewfinder to shade it. If I do shots from the waist for example if I have the screen up and the camera close to my body the LCD view switches off which can be annoying.
AnneWorner e2
7 618 43 United States
19 Feb 2013 3:55PM

Quote:I get that sometimes when something is close to the viewfinder to shade it. If I do shots from the waist for example if I have the screen up and the camera close to my body the LCD view switches off which can be annoying.

You can turn disable the EVF sensor Pete. Instructions here.
brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
19 Feb 2013 4:52PM
I used tha last of the good weather to have another go at them moon with the Tamron 500 + EM5 combo, of the tripod with a 12 sec delay and it is a bit sharper

tamron-500-moon-b-w-tripod.jpg

re: the EVF switching, I have done as Anne suggested and turned it off completely as it annoyed me so much
mdpontin e2
10 6.0k Scotland
19 Feb 2013 4:57PM
Very nice, Brian.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
19 Feb 2013 5:29PM

Quote:I get that sometimes when something is close to the viewfinder to shade it. If I do shots from the waist for example if I have the screen up and the camera close to my body the LCD view switches off which can be annoying

The eye piece censor drove me nuts with my G2, I had to switch it off, when I got the OMD I did the same with that.
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
19 Feb 2013 9:10PM

Quote:Something about my camera puzzles me, does anyone know the correct setting for this? I have the eye detection on, so the electronic viewfinder is activated when my eye comes close - but I thought this would mean that when I don't look through the viewfinder, the LCD screen should be on, and it isn't. I only see something on the screen when using the menus, not when taking a photo. Have I overlooked a setting? (I still lost in the menus, there are so many more options than on my old 20D...).

Conrad, I think you need to be aware of the little button on the right side of the viewfinder, I sometimes hit it accidentally and lose the lcd.
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
19 Feb 2013 9:11PM
That's a very good shot Brian.Grin
Gudgeon e2
7 128 England
19 Feb 2013 10:50PM
It is indeed a very good shot.
The first image was rotated by 90 deg. but still good.

Can I confirm that '12 sec delay' refers to the time between the button being pressed and the image capture, rather than a 12 sec capture time? In my experience, the latter would result in moon movement blur especially at that magnification.

Nonetheless, I like it.
brian1208 e2
19 Feb 2013 11:15PM
Yes, should have been more clear, I used the 12 sec self-timer

As to the shot having been rotated 90 degrees, its odd and I hadn't spotted it.

I didn't (knowingly) rotate the image in either case (I've just checked the original files from the two sessions which were a day apart and the orientation shown is as they show straight from the camera?) but the first one (from a series of around 12) is, as you say, clearly rotated 90 deg left compared the the 2nd (also from a series of about 12)

The first shot was later at night at 22.5 and was hand-held, pointing to the SSW whereas the last shot was off the tripod and pointing SSE to SE at 17.28 but as far as I am aware both were shot in landscape mode - most odd

I'm sure there is an obvious reason but it escapes me this late at night Wink
mdpontin e2
10 6.0k Scotland
20 Feb 2013 7:35AM

Quote:I'm sure there is an obvious reason but it escapes me this late at night Wink

You fell over whilst taking the hand-held shot? Wink

Update on the Fotodiox adapter story. I've heard back from their tech support and they say that they've not heard of any problems with their adapter on the OM-D. They suggest I go ahead on the basis that I can return it within 14 days if it doesn't fit. Well it was always doubtful that they'd have tested it against all M43 cameras.
conrad e2
10 10.9k 116
20 Feb 2013 10:22AM

Quote:Conrad, I think you need to be aware of the little button on the right side of the viewfinder, I sometimes hit it accidentally and lose the lcd.

Yep, that was it, thanks! (Well, that was easy, wasn't it. I clearly don't know this camera well enough yet...)
Gudgeon e2
7 128 England
20 Feb 2013 12:15PM
Brian, I hadn't previously noticed that the first was handheld which makes it very impressive. You certainly seem to have an extremely good technique for handheld. Smile
brian1208 e2
20 Feb 2013 1:39PM
Thanks Kev (its 90+% the camera Smile )

I still haven't worked out why that first image (and the rest of the series) was on its side, most puzzling
Gudgeon e2
7 128 England
20 Feb 2013 5:27PM
That's very modest of you Brian. However, I have the same camera and struggle to get anywhere near that quality handheld, at lower magnification and without the level of crop and distance of focus point you are working with there. Smile

Could it be the square crop that's confused an auto-rotate function?

Is it also rotated on your monitor at home or just after the upload?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.