Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Olympus OM-D EM-5 Discussion

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139495 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
7 Apr 2013 - 11:43 AM

Quote:
Yes in all modes including manual, but you need to activate manual mode in the menu's.

I find it better in manual mode, set shutter speed and apertures yourself and let the camera chose the ISO, set a limit first though.

There is more about it here CB.

http://omdem5.wordpress.com/2012/05/18/semi-automatic-manual-mode-huh/

That's very useful. I didn't realise you could use auto-ISO in Manual mode. Smile

I only ever use aperture-priority or manual (about 50/50).

Quote: There`s been a lot of talk about a fast 12-40mm being on the horizon, could it be the next packaged kit lens.

Rather doubt it - it will likely cost more than the camera body! Wink

Quote: I thought this was a good read

Indeed.......................... "For instance, the Olympus OM-D E-M5 has better dynamic range than ANY Canon DSLR ever made".

That will ruffle a few feathers. Lol! Wink

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 Apr 2013 - 11:43 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014852 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
7 Apr 2013 - 9:54 PM

Quote: There is more about it here CB.

http://omdem5.wordpress.com/2012/05/18/semi-automatic-manual-mode-huh/

Very helpful Paul, thanks. I remember this being described in the Pentax manual I had.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110307 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
9 Apr 2013 - 9:59 AM

I have a session coming up at my camera club where I will be showing how to shoot bubbles and was mulling over how best to do this "Live" when I remembered playing with the AV outlet from the EM-5, so I had another go.

Sure enough, it is possible to shoot "sort of tethered" by using the AV cable from the mini USB multi-port into the back of my LG LCD TV. The camera LCD view is transferred to the TV screen and I can then use the camera controls in the usual way to operate the camera and take shots as per normal, using the TV in place of the camera LCD.

I can also view the images on the TV screen once they are taken using the normal camera controls

This isn't something that is explicity covered in the manual although its interesting it only states that
Quote: You cannot shoot pictures or movies when the HDMI cable is connected.

so I guess that may implicitly mean that you can with the AV cable?

Has anyone else used this method, if so, is there anything to watch out for?

(I wonder if you have a touch-screen TV whether you will be able to trigger the camera this way, hmmm? )

Last Modified By brian1208 at 9 Apr 2013 - 10:01 AM
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139495 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
9 Apr 2013 - 6:12 PM

Does anyone find books like this any good? At over 30 it seems a tad pricey.

I have bought similar books in the past, but have found that they state the obvious (especially after one has owned the camera for a while) and deal with obscure facilities which I have no interest in.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315475 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
9 Apr 2013 - 7:31 PM

Would be a waist of money for me Smile

Carabosse
9 Apr 2013 - 7:43 PM

Yes, for me as well I think.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315475 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
9 Apr 2013 - 8:44 PM

There is already a wealth of information on the web, sometimes paper might be more convenient but I can live with that.

Carabosse
9 Apr 2013 - 8:51 PM

Quote: There is already a wealth of information on the web

Yes, almost too much information sometimes! Grin

Gudgeon
Gudgeon  7128 forum posts England
9 Apr 2013 - 10:11 PM

It says a lot for the quality of the content when the book description says 12 MP resolution. Wink

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64470 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
9 Apr 2013 - 10:18 PM

Just done a comparison with the Fujifilm X20 and OMD EM5. Seems like the only thing that'd sway me towards one or the other is that the OMD has interchangeable lenses (but is twice the price). And I would like a further reach than the X20 offers. But is the OMD worth an extra 500? Ho hum, there's no such thing as a perfect camera. Sad

Paul Morgan
9 Apr 2013 - 10:35 PM

The two are worlds apart Chris, that`s why I own both the x10 and OMD and each have there place.

Unless you really need the faster processor, viewfinder information and sensor, the x10 is still good and its a whole lot cheaper than the x20.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bundle-FujiFilm-Digital-Leather-Fujifilm/dp/B00AQJSFHU/r...

Carabosse
9 Apr 2013 - 10:57 PM

The Fuji X10/X20 are niche products. You buy them for similar reasons as for buying a classic car. Smile

Paul Morgan
9 Apr 2013 - 11:05 PM

No you don`t, DSLR`s maybe Smile

Carabosse
9 Apr 2013 - 11:09 PM

Quote: No you don`t, DSLR`s maybe Smile

Good comeback! Lol! Grin Grin

Paul Morgan
9 Apr 2013 - 11:17 PM

I`ve got an old bulb release that is probably older than me, works perfectly on the x10 Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.