Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Olympus OM-D EM-5 Discussion

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
9 Apr 2013 - 11:23 PM

I think you're making my point for me, Paul. Wink

The X10/X20 are very much in the 'retro' market.... as to a much lesser extent is the Oly E-M5.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
9 Apr 2013 - 11:23 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214393 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
10 Apr 2013 - 12:07 AM

There both equally in the retro market then.

Have you played with any of the Fuji x series CB, x10, x100 etc, honestly they give you the best of both modern and old.

Modern compacts lack character for the best part, most are just plastic lumps these days.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
10 Apr 2013 - 12:13 AM

Quote: Modern compacts lack character for the best part, most are just plastic lumps these days.

True but most people don't care and few are prepared to pay a premium.... especially as compacts are now an endangered species anyway! Wink

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214393 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
10 Apr 2013 - 12:26 AM

I`d agree with compacts being endangered, but only at the bottom end, I can`t see much call for them with mobile phones, mid and higher end will still be around for a while yet.

Carabosse
10 Apr 2013 - 12:29 AM

I think they will all be affected to some extent. Even our esteemed Editor/Proprietor uses his iPhone. I could be wrong but suspect he doesn't use a compact at all now - not even a posh one! Wink

Paul Morgan
10 Apr 2013 - 12:50 AM

I think this is why there is a growing market for these old fashioned looking compacts, even Sony made one Smile

Carabosse
10 Apr 2013 - 1:19 AM

Yes indeed - everything is being tried - big sensors, wide-aperture lenses, retro looks. But it's doubtful it will halt the big slide in sales of compacts.

When the technology currently seen only in the Nokia 808 becomes generally available on mobile phones, it could be the coup de gras for the compact market.

Who will want to carry a separate device, when your phone gives you high resolution and lossless digital zoom - and is with you all the time? For enthusiasts CSCs will eventually take over from DSLRs - Sony is even threatening a full-frame CSC! Grin But for casual use, high res mobiles like the Nokia 808 will very likely usurp the compact's role... to an even greater extent than at present.

Last Modified By Carabosse at 10 Apr 2013 - 1:20 AM
StrayCat
StrayCat  1014207 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
10 Apr 2013 - 1:27 AM

I don't see any evidence of a slide in the use of compacts, those, and smartphones is all I see people using. When I see someone at the zoo using a smartphone or a compact to try and get a close-up of a bug, flower, or butterfly, I like to snap one with the OM-D and show them the image, talk about a jaw dropper.Grin

Carabosse
10 Apr 2013 - 1:36 AM

Amateur Photographer magazine reported a reduction in sales of compacts of 34% over the past 12 months... and IIRC that was to the end of 2012. The percentage drop may be even higher now, year-on-year.

The one thing I have seen is people using full-size iPads to take photos.......... is this the new Large Format? Lol! Wink

Paul Morgan
10 Apr 2013 - 1:44 AM

I think what your seeing from those results, the 34% is mostly from the bottom end, the fifty/sixty quid compacts that nobody is buying any more.

Some that would have gone for the dearer compacts are probably tempted by CSC`s, in similar numbers like those that are being temped away from DSLR`s, CSC`s are well placed.

Carabosse
10 Apr 2013 - 2:13 AM

I agree that smartphones and CSCs are probably eating away at both ends of the compact market. When they meet in the middle that will be the end for compacts. Lol! Wink

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 53997 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
10 Apr 2013 - 9:09 AM

Quote: The two are worlds apart Chris, that`s why I own both the x10 and OMD and each have there place.

Unless you really need the faster processor, viewfinder information and sensor, the x10 is still good and its a whole lot cheaper than the x20.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bundle-FujiFilm-Digital-Leather-Fujifilm/dp/B00AQJSFHU/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1365470634&sr=1-9&keywords=fuji+x10

The viewfinder on the X10 was one of the things that put me off it. I just couldn't get on with it at all and I did try lots of times.
Haven't picked up an X20 yet, and have only browsed over an OM-D, so I'll have to get back to the shop and have a go but if I get on with the X20 viewfinder I think that's what I'll go for. And I like the zoom being via the lens barrel rather than rockers. I hate those things they're just not fast enough.

Last Modified By SlowSong at 10 Apr 2013 - 9:10 AM
Paul Morgan
10 Apr 2013 - 1:55 PM

The viewfinder on the x10 is no different to those on the Canon G series, there not the best but there ok.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 53997 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
10 Apr 2013 - 3:38 PM

No, I don't like those either, but there was something about the X10 that was uncomfortable.

Paul, what different uses do you put your OM-D and X10 to? And what raw converters do you use?

Carabosse
10 Apr 2013 - 5:02 PM

I don't have the X10 but Adobe Camera Raw plugin for PS works just fine for E-M5 RAWs. Smile

Last Modified By Carabosse at 10 Apr 2013 - 5:04 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.