Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Olympus OM-D EM-5 Discussion

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315630 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
10 Apr 2013 - 5:15 PM

X10 gets pretty much used in the same way as the OMD, on occasions when I want to work or travel really light.

And I find the x10 better for strobist flash type stuff at times, flash will sync at any speed due to it leaf shutter.

LR, Capture one, there both good for RAW, though some think LR 3 was not that good with Fuji files, I`ve never seen any problems myself.

Not sure why your looking at the x10 Chris already having a G12, even that is pretty capable.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Apr 2013 - 5:15 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64543 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
10 Apr 2013 - 5:26 PM

Well, I'm looking at a way round it at the moment (G11, not G12. I might have mistakenly said G12 in the past as all these numbers get confusing).

I don't like the rocker for zooming as it's too slow, but I've just learned a way of saving the zoom setting so I can now switch of the automatic shut down and it'll stay where I put it and not turn off. It means I'm stuck with one focal length unless I change from C1 to AV but it's a tryout. I don't want an X10 anyway. It's the X20 v the EM-5 I've been wondering about.

Last Modified By SlowSong at 10 Apr 2013 - 5:28 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315630 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
10 Apr 2013 - 5:41 PM

If your looking at a new compact the x20 will be good and worth every penny.

The OMD is a system camera and to really get the best out of it, you will need to get some of the better glass, it could end up costing a whole lot more than you first expected.

I would only consider an OMD, if I was thinking of changing my DSLR system.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64543 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
10 Apr 2013 - 5:52 PM

Wise words Paul. I just love the look and spec of the OMD but my head says X20.

Paul Morgan
10 Apr 2013 - 6:00 PM

I think you will like the x20, I just love the silver one, the x10 only came in black.

For me the biggest advantage the x20 has over the x10, is focus speed, it uses phase detection as used in dslr and its really quick.

There`s a couple of blog reviews here.

http://blog.mingthein.com/2013/04/07/nikon-coolpix-a-fuji-finepix-x20/
http://www.adamrileyphotography.com/personal/fuji-x20-review/

SlowSong
10 Apr 2013 - 7:31 PM

Thanks Paul. Yet, I feel as if I've been down this road before. Grin

Paul Morgan
10 Apr 2013 - 7:42 PM

Yes, once or twice Smile

And there is always something like this instead if you want a fun little camera.

http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Pentax-Q-+-3-Lenses-*EX-DEMO*_70771.html

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 10 Apr 2013 - 7:45 PM
SlowSong
10 Apr 2013 - 10:07 PM

Don't think so, thanks. Smile
I don't think what I want exists. Grin At least by mulling things over with you lot helps crystalise my thoughts. Smile

Paul Morgan
10 Apr 2013 - 10:32 PM

Quote: I don't think what I want exists

I think we all suffer from that Smile

conrad
conrad  1010877 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
19 Apr 2013 - 1:36 PM

Does anyone have any experience with the use of Panasonic lenses on the Olympus OM-D? (Are all Micro Four Thirds lenses so completely interchangeable between brands that it's a problem-free kind of thing?) I suppose you turn off the in-lens image stabilisation and just let the OM-D do its Olympus thing with the stabilisation, right?

And is there any disadvantage to using a Four Thirds lens on Micro Four Thirds with an adapter?

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110369 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
19 Apr 2013 - 1:58 PM

I'm using the panasonic 35-100 f2.8 on my EM-5 and apart from a possible slight "waking up from sleep mode) issue (it seems a bit reluctant to wake if its been in sleep for a while) its performing beautifully. I've also previously had the panny 45 macro and had no issue with that.

I've tried it with IBIS off, OIS on and vice versa and mainly use it with IBIS on / OIS off as I feel that is marginally better (but it is within the limits of imagination as far as I can see Wink )

I haven't tried it with 4/3rds lenses but have seen many reports that apart from a slow down in AF speed they work well

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023195 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
19 Apr 2013 - 1:58 PM

You'd be hard pressed to find an Olympus user without a Panasonic lens.

conrad
19 Apr 2013 - 2:09 PM

That's good to know - thanks, both.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
19 Apr 2013 - 2:09 PM

Quote: Are all Micro Four Thirds lenses so completely interchangeable between brands that it's a problem-free kind of thing

Yes. That is one of the main advantages of M4/3. It's a pity the likes of Canon and Nikon (not to mention Pentax) can't swallow their pride and join! Grin

The only issue might be using Olympus lenses on a Panasonic body..... you'd need steady hands as there would be no IS. It would be just like the old days. Lol!

Quote: You'd be hard pressed to find an Olympus user without a Panasonic lens.

Good heavens, I find myself agreeing with Keith! shocked-dark.jpg wink-dark.jpg

My Panny 20mm/f1.7 is the one lens I would retain, for my Oly E-M5, if forced to get rid of the others.

conrad
19 Apr 2013 - 2:12 PM

This must not be a controversial subject, then, CB.

Which is good for me, if everyone's in agreement, it must be true what you're all saying... Smile

Last Modified By conrad at 19 Apr 2013 - 2:12 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.