Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Olympus OM-D EM-5 Discussion

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
22 Apr 2013 - 11:22 PM

Sorry............ FF equiv is 16mm and MF equiv is 25-26mm. Oops! Blush Grin

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Apr 2013 - 11:22 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315626 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
23 Apr 2013 - 12:09 AM

Did your ever compare your full frame dslr lenses against field camera lenses Smile

mikehit
mikehit  56690 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
23 Apr 2013 - 12:14 AM

Conrad said he wanted an 'ultra wide', so CB asked him what he meant by 'ultrawide' and Conrad said he thought 10-20mm on his APS-C would qualify.
So CB equated the 10mm on APS-C with 8mm MFT which is where you came in and asked "since when has a 10 been an 8". Seems to me like you did not read the full run-up.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
23 Apr 2013 - 12:23 AM

Quote: Did your ever compare your full frame dslr lenses against field camera lenses Smile

Yes. Smile

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315626 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
23 Apr 2013 - 12:33 AM

To much for me Smile

Quote: Seems to me like you did not read the full run-up

Yes, Pany 7-14mm then Smile

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 23 Apr 2013 - 12:35 AM
Coast
Coast Critique Team 61337 forum postsCoast vcard United Kingdom292 Constructive Critique Points
23 Apr 2013 - 10:01 PM

Have come late to the table on this forum and have done my best to read most of the 265 pages of thread! I have a full Canon 5D III kit and a Panasonic GF1 with 14mm, 20mm and 45-200mm Panasonic lenses.

I bought into the GF1 for a lighter kit to take out when the Canon kit just seemed too bulky and obtrusive. I use it a fair bit but a lot less than the Canon. That said I'm now thinking of upgrading the GF1 body mainly as I have seen so much on the improvement of the 16mp sensor over the 12mp in the GF1.

For you avid CSC users what would you recommend as a suitable upgrade to the GF1 where my current m4/3 lenses will fit? I tend to carry the Panasonic kit in a small lowepro satchel bag.

I like the idea of the built in evf on the Olympus as my main irritation with the GF1 has been seeing the screen in bright conditions and have never got round to buying the clip on EVF. Would I be as well to get the GX1 with the EVF accessory or go for the Olympus. Or is there something else I should consider?

Your views and opinions welcome.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110366 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
23 Apr 2013 - 10:13 PM

You can't really go far wrong with either the EM-5 or the GH3.

The EM-5 is a bit lighter and smaller and as I read it is marginally better for stills but the GH3 has the better video capability

I carry my EM-5 + 4 lenses, up to the 75-300 in my old Lowepro Nova 180 shoulder bag

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014926 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
23 Apr 2013 - 11:06 PM

I use the OM-D with 3 lenses, and I don't have much need for any more. My OM-D is approaching its 1st anniversary in May, and I've certainly put it to good use, getting out more with the camera in the last year than I did in the previous several years. I can't imagine going back to full size kit. I was at the Zoo last week, and there was a lady there, and we started chatting, her camera and lens were HUGE, I couldn't imagine carrying that around again. I asked her what she was using, it was a Nikon D7000 with a Nikon VR 105mm f2.8 Macro lens. The lens was much bigger than my OM-D and Olympus 60mm macro together.

Last Modified By StrayCat at 23 Apr 2013 - 11:07 PM
Paul Morgan
23 Apr 2013 - 11:10 PM

I would only recommend the GH3 or OMD for either somebody with bottomless pockets or someone looking at changing systems, but saying that, there both very good.

If you want to keep the same small form factor I`d be looking at the Panasonic GX1 with its 16mp sensor, Currys have them on a good deal at the moment for 299.

It will be a few generations better than your GF1.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/cameras/digital-cameras/compact-system-cameras/pana...

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 23 Apr 2013 - 11:11 PM
mikehit
24 Apr 2013 - 8:38 AM

GX1 is a lovely little camera and I bought it because I had the option of with/without the EVF for size benefits - the fact is that the EVF stays on there virtually all the time so have I saved anything? The noise at about ISO16oo beats the noise on my 7D at 800 which is great for low light work. I am looking for a second body and the G3 is a good option. Both the GX1 and G3 are on superb deals at the moment.
It will be interesting to see what Panasonic will do in the next few months with rumours of G6 and/or G7, and maybe GX2 in the autumn with built-in EVF. And Olympus have hinted at a new OM-D model and possibly a new EPL with the 5-axis IBIS and the sensor that is in the OM-D. Even if they are too expensive they will push prices of current models down. I prefer the Panasonic ergonomics but OM-D has the lead in quality plus IBIS.

Last Modified By mikehit at 24 Apr 2013 - 8:39 AM
brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110366 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
24 Apr 2013 - 8:50 AM

Quote: with rumours of G6 and

The release is just announced in the EPZ News section Smile

mikehit
24 Apr 2013 - 9:04 AM

Interesting. It seems s shame to me that the GH3 and the G6 are both large than their predecessors - size-wise they are entering the small DSLR arena. I wonder if the Olympus will keep their form factors in the next generations.

Paul Morgan
24 Apr 2013 - 7:25 PM

The Gh3 is bigger than the GH2 but I believe the G6 is still about the same size as the G5, its just a different shape with less of a hump.

There have been talks about an Olympus M4/3 body that will take both 4/3 and M4/3 lenses, this will need to be bigger than the current OMD.

mikehit
24 Apr 2013 - 7:28 PM

Now that the novelty factor for MFTs has worn off, I wonder which direction they will go. I read recently that the sales of compact system cameras have taken a big hit in the Far East so maybe that is a reaction to it in that it will widen the market. The very people at whom the MFTs were originally aimed (the fact that many pro's have picked up on it is as far as I can see a very happy accident) will not now care whether the camera has 16, 24 or 30 MP so where else do the go?

Paul Morgan
24 Apr 2013 - 7:54 PM

Has it had a novelty factor, not for me, and not for many others Smile

There are quite a few pro`s and wedding photographers using M4/3, CSC`s are the future and DSLR`s are old dinosaurs now.

Professionals are becoming more and more interested in hybrid systems that can deliver both multimedia as well as pictures in small neat packages.

Black magic are doing neat things as well with a decent compact video camera with a M4/3 mount and a bigger video camera that comes in a choice of mounts for both M4/3 and Canon.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.