Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Olympus OM-D EM-5 Discussion

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

mikehit
mikehit  46171 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
24 Apr 2013 - 8:15 PM

Quote: Has it had a novelty factor, not for me, and not for many others

Enthusiasts like us are a very small minority of the camera buying public and we appreciate the quality of the system compared to lugging around a DSLR with 70-200 or 400mm lens. The average buying public buy the DSLR with kit lens and never buy another lens. So for them the space saving of a CSC is not as obvious, so why should they pay the same price lens for a smaller (= inferior) camera? Until CSC prices are anywhere near the price of entry-level DSLR then CSCs will struggle.
So is the drop in CSC sales a serious problem or is it a hiatus until the 'phone vs DSLR' mindset becomes 'phone v CSC v DSLR'. If you want an indication of that you only need to look at the number of newbies on here asking 'which DSLR' and we reply with 'why not CSC instead?'. That is the problem CSCs have.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
24 Apr 2013 - 8:15 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
25 Apr 2013 - 12:06 AM

Many people seem to be using iPads and other tablets for photography - they seem to have moved on from camera phones.

To them the DSLR v. CSC argument must be like the argument of theologians centuries ago about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin! Wink

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314921 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
25 Apr 2013 - 12:23 AM

It does make you wonder though, with the rate Panasonic are churning them out Smile

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
25 Apr 2013 - 10:35 AM

My E-M5 still causes comment. Most non-enthusiasts have never seen a CSC although they are about 30% of interchangeable camera sales in the UK... up from zero only about 4 years ago!

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314921 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
25 Apr 2013 - 5:25 PM

The new EP looks lush Smile

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-first-image-of-the-new-olympus-e-p5/#comments

mikehit
mikehit  46171 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
25 Apr 2013 - 5:39 PM

The price will be interesting - if the comments of 1,000 USD without lens are correct it means you are getting an equally-priced EM-5 but with the 5-axis IBIS and integrated VF chopped out. Weird.

Paul Morgan
25 Apr 2013 - 6:11 PM

I don`t think it will be as much as that.

These are making a come back as well Smile

http://www.43rumors.com/new-pictures-of-the-kodak-s1-mft-camera/

conrad
conrad  910873 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
26 Apr 2013 - 10:02 AM

Quote: Many people seem to be using iPads and other tablets for photography

And it looks ridiculous: a group of people in front of a tourist attraction with many holding up a tablet, it's a weird sight to behold!

About the Kodak link - it's interesting to see that Olympus are going more and more for a classic look, when others are going ultra modern, that Kodak really has a very 'clean' modern design.

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014476 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
27 Apr 2013 - 10:16 PM

root-weevil-.jpg

OM-D and Olympus 60mm f2.8 Macro plus ring light.

Paul Morgan
27 Apr 2013 - 10:41 PM

Has anyone still got the download package for viewer version 2, I need a copy, v3 is no good.

Its all explained here.

http://www.ephotozine.com/forums/topic/olympus-viewer-2-103091

Carabosse
30 Apr 2013 - 4:26 PM

Hey, we're coming up in the world! EPZ have launched Olympus Image Space.

Similar, I guess, to Nikon Nation which has been around for while (together with Totally Tamron), but only the second camera body manufacturer to have a special EPZ place.... even Canon owners don't have that yet! Smile

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014476 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
30 Apr 2013 - 8:08 PM

I thought we had that in this thread.Grin

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85867 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
30 Apr 2013 - 8:23 PM

Quote: even Canon owners don't have that yet!Smile

The best always lurk in the backgroundWinkWink

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 54226 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
30 Apr 2013 - 8:28 PM

I think we voted that we didn't want it. Don't need it. Tongue

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43625 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway23 Constructive Critique Points
30 Apr 2013 - 8:48 PM

Quote: I think we voted that we didn't want it. Don't need it. Tongue

Experience tells us that what you want, isn't necessarily what you get,,,and vica versa, Chris.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.