Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Olympus OM-D EM-5 Discussion

Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
13 Mar 2012 1:05AM
I would expect to see the new IS and sensor, but obviously not the weather sealing.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
13 Mar 2012 1:14AM
Well if they do that the price of the Pen will rocket! Wink They have to recover their R&D on the new sensor (etc) and they don't sell cameras by the cartload - unlike Canikon!

Really want to see some proper reviews on the OM-D. Robin Wong is an Olympus enthusiast and I'd like to see comments from a more neutral party on the image quality. If it as good as Mr Wong suggests, i.e. possibly beyond the best APS-C DSLRs, that is an astonishing achievement by Olympus and you could say the M4/3 system has really come of age.

I have a couple of major events in July and August to cover, and I'm not sure my E-PL2 will cut the mustard. I have been thinking seriously of getting the VF-2 but the announcement of the OM-D has kinda kicked that into the long grass. C'mon EPZ, be the first photo site with a review.... with some APS-C DSLR comparisons thrown in! Smile
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
13 Mar 2012 1:20AM

Quote:Well if they do that the price of the Pen will rocket! Wink They have to recover their R&D on the new sensor (etc) and they don't sell cameras by the cartload - unlike Canikon!

12/18 months should be enough Smile

The OM-D bodies 400 or 500 cheaper than the the new Fuji and priced about the same as the nex 7 making the OM-D good value.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
13 Mar 2012 1:25AM
I would still expect a 100 reduction in the launch price, pretty quickly. Ignoring the electronics, the whole camera seems to have a potentially different feel to it - although I can't be sure until I have felt one! Grin

This is the trouble with me. I end up talking myself into buying equipment - and there's nobody to talk me out of it! Wink
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
13 Mar 2012 1:40AM
Lol well my Fuji X10 dropped nearly 20% after the first few months Smile

Who knows what could happen.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
13 Mar 2012 1:48AM
It doesn't pay to be an early adopter........... well, usually. Although I did buy the Canon 5D2 shortly after UK launch, the price held up for a very long time. So I didn't feel I'd jumped the gun and had no regrets.

I doubt the 5D3's price will stay at 3 grand for too long, when people have become used to paying about half that for its fairly similar predecessor. I would expect 500 to come off that, pronto, and about 1000 within a year. It looks like the Canon 5D-series is likely to have a long life cycle though.

Er, what were we talking about? Oh yes, the snappily named Olympus OM-D E-M5. Lol! Wink
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
13 Mar 2012 1:58AM

Quote:It doesn't pay to be an early adopter........... well, usually

No not very often though I did quite well when I got my E3, payed 799 for the body only and got a free FL50R thrown in, within a few months it was selling for 1100 body only, with no free gifts, I think the flash was worth about 400 Smile
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
13 Mar 2012 2:00AM
Crikey - you must have been well chuffed! Smile
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
13 Mar 2012 2:27AM
Yes and it was the same when I got the G2, free lightroom and a 5 year warranty.

Most manufacturers seem to offer cash back only.

A selection of free gifts on a time offer might be good with the OM-D.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
14 Mar 2012 12:58AM
Just stumbled across these low-light photos taken with the OM-D.

Not sure what others think but, to my eyes, ISO 6400 and 12800 look remarkably clean and even 25600 looks very usable. Who needs a Nikon D4? Lol! Wink
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
14 Mar 2012 12:08PM
Just in case anyone is interested, the last part of Robin Wong's review - the OM-D used as a street camera and his final thoughts on the device - is here . He made quite a bit of use of the tilting LCD screen and even sometimes used the touchscreen function on it, to operate the shutter stealthily.

There is actually one final bit of the review to come, but it's by someone else and concentrates on the video function.

Looking good so far. My only hesitation is reading about this article . But goodness knows when Canon will make it a reality and, if it has the APS-C sensor, then it may have the same form as Sony NEX, i.e. small light camera with big heavy lenses, so possibly not all that appealing from a handling point of view.
mlanda e2
5 12 United Kingdom
14 Mar 2012 2:56PM

Quote:I see on Facebook that Damien McGillicuddy is tempted to throw away all his heavy dSLRs and adopt this camera instead.

Wonder if he will?

Strange then that he switched back to a DSLR from the OM-D when he left the Olympus stand and went on to the SWPP stand at Focus.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
14 Mar 2012 3:27PM

Quote:Strange then that he switched back to a DSLR from the OM-D when he left the Olympus stand and went on to the SWPP stand at Focus

Probably an image thing........... turning up at a wedding, as a pro, carrying a camera smaller than DSLRs used by some of the guests - even if it produces better images - may not go down too well. Similarly, facing a bunch of wedding togs! Wink
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
14 Mar 2012 7:17PM
Oh and you can read the latest from Mr McGillicuddy here . He seems to be in love with the device - and even likes the E-PL2 (my current main camera)! Grin

If you scroll down you can read his earlier comments about the OM-D (erm, not entirely "work-safe" images on that page. Wink)
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
14 Mar 2012 7:29PM
He even states that his E5 is feeling neglected, seems he been using fourthird sensors for a while Smile

Lol did you read this bit Smile

It does amaze me what the diminutive sensor is capable of but even more so the blinkered bigotry of some larger size sensor owners! These are tools to do a job and surely as long as its capable of what its asked to do, which it is, then that's all that matters...

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.