Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Olympus OM-D EM-5 Discussion

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139443 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
14 Sep 2013 - 4:31 PM

Some really nice pics there, Denny.

It's odd that your firmware upgrade did not cut the noise. I don't even notice mine now - even indoors.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
14 Sep 2013 - 4:31 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

rogerfry
rogerfry e2 Member 8509 forum postsrogerfry vcard United Kingdom
14 Sep 2013 - 5:14 PM

Quote: Some really nice pics there, Denny.

It's odd that your firmware upgrade did not cut the noise. I don't even notice mine now - even indoors.

CB...do you find that the stabiliser noise is fairly noticeable on video? The little bit I've tried seems to be quite obtrusive.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139443 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
14 Sep 2013 - 5:23 PM

Quote:

CB...do you find that the stabiliser noise is fairly noticeable on video? The little bit I've tried seems to be quite obtrusive.

I tend to do video on a tripod with IS off. However...... I have a suspicion that it is the AF you are hearing, if you have it set on C-AF. Try using S-AF or MF when videoing. You might find that helps. (C-AF on video is pretty useless anyway).

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014799 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
14 Sep 2013 - 6:37 PM

Get the Olympus 17mm f1.8 for video, it is truly outstanding, ultra quick, and silent. I just added a comment to the review on this site.

Yes, it is odd CB. However, the camera shows the latest upgrade installed, and the sound hasn't changed at all, thankfully.Wink

Last Modified By StrayCat at 14 Sep 2013 - 6:39 PM
StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014799 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
14 Sep 2013 - 7:33 PM

hood-ornament-9040261-2.jpg

Anyone need an avatar, go ahead. I would have used it, but I'm Canadian, so I have to keep my hockey player.Smile

rogerfry
rogerfry e2 Member 8509 forum postsrogerfry vcard United Kingdom
14 Sep 2013 - 8:14 PM

Quote: CB...do you find that the stabiliser noise is fairly noticeable on video? The little bit I've tried seems to be quite obtrusive.

I tend to do video on a tripod with IS off. However...... I have a suspicion that it is the AF you are hearing, if you have it set on C-AF. Try using S-AF or MF when videoing. You might find that helps. (C-AF on video is pretty useless anyway).

I Think you may well be right....in movie mode it seems as if it defaults to C-AF. Stupid question, but if you use S-AF how do you select a focus point other than centre? Also, can you shift the focus point while filming? There doesn't seem to be a focus point showing onn rear screen.

Last Modified By rogerfry at 14 Sep 2013 - 8:40 PM
Carabosse
15 Sep 2013 - 9:05 PM

Quote: in movie mode it seems as if it defaults to C-AF

That shouldn't happen if you set the menu item correctly, i.e. Movie S-AF.

Quote: if you use S-AF how do you select a focus point other than centre? Also, can you shift the focus point while filming? There doesn't seem to be a focus point showing onn rear screen.

You just briefly touch the shutter button. The focus points are only for stills photography. In video mode it will AF on whatever is in the centre of the screen.

You are often better off using MF when videoing.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110266 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
22 Sep 2013 - 4:33 PM

All my excitement about the EM-1 almost made me forget how much I like my basic kit of EM-5 + kit lens + kit flash but then I went off on a coach holiday and got shots like this in the rain (I still love you my little camera Smile Blush )

spider---water-drops-with-kit-macro.jpg

Mind you - I will do better when I get the new toy! Grin

Last Modified By brian1208 at 22 Sep 2013 - 4:34 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315361 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
22 Sep 2013 - 7:42 PM

I see there offering a free grip + 4/3 adaptor Brian.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110266 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
22 Sep 2013 - 8:45 PM

I've registered for the grip Paul but I'm not eligible for the adapter as I don't have a pre-registered 4/3rds body (no problem as I don't have any 4/3rds lenses and no doubt the used ones will now jump in price Grin )

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315361 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
22 Sep 2013 - 8:59 PM

There is now real advantage to using 4/3 lenses anyway, only if you already have them Smile

camay
camay  7119 forum posts Scotland3 Constructive Critique Points
23 Sep 2013 - 6:58 AM

I have lurked around this thread since its beginning, shall I buy an EM5 or not, the free adapter is the icing on the cake and I have now ordered the EM1, so I can use the 43 lenses I have, especially the 35mm macro. It's not so very different in size from my E620 and the grip is wonderful.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96303 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
23 Sep 2013 - 7:55 AM

Quote: so I can use the 43 lenses I have

I guess you can go out every day for more than a month with a different lens !

Must be a nightmare deciding which ones to take out and I bet you still say " If only I had brought the macro lens with me today " Wink

camay
23 Sep 2013 - 9:45 AM

GrinGrinGrin

camay
23 Sep 2013 - 9:49 AM

I must have lots of duplicates, WEX only lists 29 Four Thirds lenses!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.