Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Olympus OM-D EM-5 Discussion

brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
29 Jan 2014 11:16PM
Done and working as described, not found any hidden gems though Wink

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
29 Jan 2014 11:32PM
Looks like there is a new EM5 on the way this March, Olympus have just announced an EM5 Pro kit that will include the 12-40mm, the new EM5 will have a few improvements and minor changes to its design(main dial and sub dial)
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
31 Jan 2014 12:25PM
There is rumour that the E-M 5 is due to get a software update for focus peaking. Apparently the reason this has not happened before is that Sony have blocked Olympus putting focus peaking on their sensor, bot now that the E-M1 and E-M10 have it there is little reason to not do it now.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
31 Jan 2014 8:24PM
I read sometime ago that a hacker found it embedded in the EM5`s software but it had not yet been activated.

Focus peaking is just one of those extra`s that for me is more than a gimmick than being anything really useful as is the electronic shutter found on some other camera`s.
brian1208 e2
31 Jan 2014 8:57PM

Quote:Focus peaking is just one of those extra`s that for me is more than a gimmick than being anything

I must admit that although its on the EM-1 I have never used it (and it slows down the EVF refresh rate when it is enabled, which would be another reason for me not to use it )
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
31 Jan 2014 11:49PM
The only time I use manual focus is with my lensbaby, and I`ve managed just fine up until now without any form of peaking, it is something I will more than likely never use.
brian1208 e2
20 Feb 2014 6:17PM
I've just picked up a used canon fd 400 f4.5 to use primarily on my EM-5 (but it will probably get some use on the EM-1 as well Wink )

I had it set up on the tripod in the conservatory today, with the lens against the glass and triggered by the remote, pre-focused on our little porcelain feeder full of dried mealworms (our Robins favourite)

The light as not good with strong light and shade so I was working at ISO1600.

Its about 25ft to the feeder from the conservatory so the feeder + robin filled about 50% of frame

This is one of a series of shots my wife took using the remote (very proud of her first ever photographs she was! Grin ) as I was out of the room at the time (the only way to get birds onto the feeders sometimes )

I think I'm going to enjoy using this lens (mainly got for garden birding and moon / planetary shots)

got-one.jpg

p2208869-edit.jpg

Paul_Anthony e2
2 386 4 Wales
22 Feb 2014 11:30AM
Finally got the 45mm 1.8 this week (black version). Ready for the wedding season now, set up will be.....

- Black Rapid Duo with
- EM-1 (with Grip) + Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8.
- FL600r Flash on the EM-1.
- EM-5 (with Grip) + Panasonic 35-100mm f/2.8.

- EM-5 + 45mm f/1.8 (around my neck)

- Spare Flash, Camera Batteries, Flash Batteries, Lens Cloth & Memory Cards in a small Olympus Case slung over my shoulder.

I think it will be a completely different experience from shooting with Full Frame Nikon. I know a lot of people think that the weight difference really isn't that great, but I can assure you that the 3 OMD bodies are significantly lighter than two Large Nikon bodies with the 70-200 f/2.8 , 24-120 f/4 & Flash that I used to use.

The OMD kit is really nice to use in the studio too.

Paul Grin
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
22 Feb 2014 12:20PM
I've got a couple of events lined up around Easter (not weddings!) and it will be great to be able to take my E-M5 with 4 lenses, plus the Panny LF1 for backup and unobtrusive shooting, plus a lightweight Panny camcorder....... all in one small shoulder bag which will be carrrying my sandwich box as well. Grin

And all weighing practically nothing. Smile
24 Mar 2014 3:29PM
Hi All,

I recently updated to V2.0 firmware all successful.

Today I went for a walkabout, spotted a heron in the rushes, pressed the shutter appeared to be OK. I then checked and the image stored was completely black.

I took another one that worked correctly, but the one after that was black again. I took another 4 shots OK, then the next one is black again.

It appears to me to be a wake up/start up problem?

I was using the Pana 100-300 lens in "P" mode. Has anybody seen this before?
I have a big shoot coming up in May and I need my camera kit to be reliable.
brian1208 e2
24 Mar 2014 3:38PM
hmm, not seen anything like that (also working with the latest firmware) most odd behaviour
24 Mar 2014 3:45PM
Brian, yes that's what I thought, I think I have seen this before but in the heat of the moment put it down to operator error, but after today's episode I think not.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
24 Mar 2014 4:01PM
Can you actually hear the shutter firing? If not then it may be a 'sticky shutter' - there are a few mentions of this on the internet.
You could try all the usual things - turn it off and on again, turn off then remove/reattach the lens to rule out a communication problem twixt the different parts.
brian1208 e2
24 Mar 2014 5:48PM
Have a look at this thread, it may be describing your problem, if so it sounds like a job for Olympus

here
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
24 Mar 2014 6:22PM

Quote:Have a look at this thread, it may be describing your problem, if so it sounds like a job for Olympus

here

I might be, take a series of shots in manual mode, you will soon know.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.