Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Olympus OM-D EM-5 Discussion

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Weldingblues
24 Mar 2014 - 11:06 PM

Thanks for the comments, I have tried my Pana 12-35 with NO problems.
I have put the Pana 100-300 back on and again and now there are NO problems.
I will continue with some other testing tomorrow to see if I can get it to happen again.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
24 Mar 2014 - 11:06 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coast
Coast Critique Team 61000 forum postsCoast vcard United Kingdom292 Constructive Critique Points
25 Mar 2014 - 7:37 AM

Have you tried the same test as in the link? Consecutive exposures. Appears worse at faster shutter speeds ie 1/1000s and faster.

Weldingblues
25 Mar 2014 - 11:02 PM

This is the simple file info. which shows ISO, F stop etc. for the 3 photos reading left to right.

camera-problem.jpg

I will try to take a sequence of shots in the morning, and update ASAP

Weldingblues
26 Mar 2014 - 11:22 AM

I tried some test shot and I had the same results, but different lens & SD card. First shot camera appears ok, shutter makes a sound etc. but no image showing, second shot OK. Went to sleep then the next shot does not show but the one after is there.

Waiting for Chris at Olympus to come back to me after he has had a look at the files.

I will update when I know anything.

Weldingblues
27 Mar 2014 - 6:26 PM

They have asked me to send it back, which I have done today.

Will update when they get back to me.

Weldingblues
11 Apr 2014 - 12:12 AM

I now have my camera back, the shutter was replaced under warranty, which expires on May 2nd so just in time or what.
I have only taken a couple of test shots so far, but all looks good.

Regards

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014691 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jun 2014 - 7:12 AM

Time to re-open this thread.Grin

What I have to say applies to many more cameras than just the E-M5; I have been setting up my cameras as long as I can remember to show about a 2 second image of the last shot in the viewfinder or on the monitor, and only recently realised that I have been missing many good opportunities because of it. So, I now have no image show after a shot, which means I miss that all important glimpse of the histogram after the first shot. This forces me to be more selective of the metering, eg. exposure compensation, before I take the first shot in many cases. It's not a big deal for stationary subjects, but over 90% of my shots are of wildlife, or caged animals, where I may not get another shot of a quality pose, or any at all after the first one. Wouldn't it be nice to have a button programmed to switch off the image display once you've seen the histogram? I'm talking about fine tuning here, but it has cost me a number of shots I would have liked.

Any thoughts?

Last Modified By StrayCat at 8 Jun 2014 - 7:14 AM
brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110238 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jun 2014 - 7:59 AM

I turned off instant review almost as soon as I started using the EM/5/1 for the reason you state, it reduces the sequential speed and can even interfere with fast, single shot shooting

I have live histogram showing in my EVF when the lighting is difficult otherwise I set and forget the exposure compensation

Now at least any missed opportunities are down to me, not the camera Smile

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315208 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jun 2014 - 12:34 AM

Instant review is always just about the first thing that gets disabled in all my new camera`s.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jun 2014 - 12:40 AM

Quote: Instant review is always just about the first thing that gets disabled in all my new camera`s.

Ditto. I prefer to review my pictures at my leisure.Smile

Crazycurtis28

Hi all,

New member to these forums, but not new to the site Smile

This thread has answered several questions about the EM5 which I plan on purchasing next week to replace my EPL-3.
I feel like a child a week before Xmas waiting to get it! too excited Grin

See you around

Andy

Coast
Coast Critique Team 61000 forum postsCoast vcard United Kingdom292 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jun 2014 - 4:46 PM

Quote: Hi all,

New member to these forums, but not new to the site Smile

This thread has answered several questions about the EM5 which I plan on purchasing next week to replace my EPL-3.
I feel like a child a week before Xmas waiting to get it! too excited Grin

See you around

Andy

I'm sure you will love it. I went for the OMD 10 and it's blown my socks off. Great IQ and I love the handling. I'm not many days off adding the 60mm macro lens to it and I get your kid at Xmas feeling. Looking forward to getting my hands on the lens.

Have fun with the EM5.

Regards
Paul

Last Modified By Coast at 10 Jun 2014 - 4:48 PM
Crazycurtis28

I'm sure you will love it. I went for the OMD 10 and it's blown my socks off. Great IQ and I love the handling. I'm not many days off adding the 60mm macro lens to it and I get your kid at Xmas feeling. Looking forward to getting my hands on the lens.

Have fun with the EM5.

Regards
Paul
[/quote]

Thank you so much!
I will be honest and say that I have been tempted by the Lumix GX7, because of the free 45-150mm lens promotion at the moment.
But, the EM5 pulled ahead with the 5 axis IS and weather sealing (to name a few). And I think it looks so much nicer.

I took a look at your pictures... Fantastic!

Andy

Last Modified By Crazycurtis28 at 10 Jun 2014 - 9:10 PM
Coast
10 Jun 2014 - 10:52 PM

Thanks Andy. I looked at the GX7 too but the OMD just felt better in the hands. I also found that for me the eye cup didn't sit as comfortably in the eye either. The OMD is great for street photography.

I am tempted to swap my Canon kit to go wholly 4/3rds with Olympus. Not made the decision yet but will see what the macro is like on the Oly versus the Canon 100mm on the 5D.

The EM5 like the EM10 is very customisable in terms of button functions and how the dials work so you can set the camera up to operate just how you like. The Oly lenses too are very crisp. I've got the 45mm f1.8 and it's just lovely for portraits. I got the 14-42EZ lens with the camera. Very compact and camera and lens fits into a jacket pocket.

Look forward to seeing some pics from your em5 when you get started with it.

Regards
Paul

Crazycurtis28

I have looked and played with both also. I like the feel of the GX7, but with the battery grip in the OMD it feels even better.

The only thing, I can get the GX7 for 638 and claim the free 45-150mm lens. or the EM5 for 759 and the free grip.
Everytime i decide on the EM5, something at the back of my head makes me uncertain. Then again, Im sure I would regret not getting the EM5.

I still have a week to decide luckily! Most likely will be the EM5!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.