Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Olympus OM-D EM-5 Discussion

Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
26 Mar 2012 10:56PM

Quote:I think Damian`s been around for a while CB Smile

Not on this thread he hasn't! Wink

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

26 Mar 2012 11:34PM
The IQ is first rate on the EM-5 and is more than good enough for my needs and the reduction in size and weight is compelling. For the first time ever my assistant and I are able to take the kit we need for Canada and the US in two backpack style bags as opposed to two plus rolling cases...

These are tools and as long as they are capable of delivering the results and doing the job why wouldn't we use something more portable. I wouldn't trade my iPhone in for a motarola brick... any more thanI'd still focus with my head under a black cloth... this is just evolution.

I was amazed at the quality of the results these tools produced.

As for using an dslr on the SWPP focus stand that was necessity there were only 3 pre production OM-d's on the Olympus stand and if I took one with me the q's to see them just got bigger... I also shot with a PEN on the SWPP stand

hope that helps

D
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
26 Mar 2012 11:45PM
That's terrific Damian, and it does help - thanks. Smile

Let's put it this way: if the OM-D is good enough for someone like yourself to use, professionally, then it's at least 10 times good enough for me... and that's probably a gross underestimate. Lol! Wink
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
26 Mar 2012 11:47PM
Lol have you placed your order yet CB Smile
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
26 Mar 2012 11:53PM

Quote:Lol have you placed your order yet CB Smile

No. I want to be sure if I order an OM-D (admittedly it's looking increasingly likely I will) the retailer actually has stock, and does not keep me hanging on a string.

Amazon are quoting 1-3 months! Other retailers are just saying "April". I want something much more definite if I am to be an early adopter, so that my cunning plan can be put into operation. Wink Otherwise I may wait a while for a price drop.
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
26 Mar 2012 11:56PM
Lol I`m looking at getting one as well but I kind see it happening very soon.

Seems the logical replacement for my aging E3 and an up grade to my G2.
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
27 Mar 2012 12:05AM
So, Paul, what would be your strategy to get one before the end of April..... pre-order now and be (fairly) sure of something from the first batch to arrive in the UK - or wait for stock to actually come in - but risk it all going to pre-orders?

A bit of a dilemma!
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
27 Mar 2012 12:16AM
Its up to you CB, I`m skint at the mo so it will have to wait.

I`m guessing that these are going to sell well with plenty of pre orders.
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
27 Mar 2012 12:27AM

Quote:I`m guessing that these are going to sell well with plenty of pre orders.

Hmm...... do y'know - I think I may take a chance and pre-order. Don't want to miss out, as it were! Wink

The price, give or take a few pence, is the same everywhere according to this . Interesting they don't list Amazon. Question of tossing a coin, I guess, to choose which retailer!

This could all go horribly wrong! Lol! Grin
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
27 Mar 2012 1:11AM
Looks like you're spot on, Paul - see here .
AndyFin 3 5 United Kingdom
30 Mar 2012 4:35PM
I've just spoken to someone at Park Cameras and found out they are having an event tomorrow with Olympus staff attending and of course they're bringing a production version of the OM-D!

The lovely lady on the phone also informed me that there is an offer where you can get the two-part grip AND the ever-ready case for free! I am, as always, extremely tempted. My dear old E-P1 is a bit out of date now! I just need to convince the girlfriend and the bank manager!
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
30 Mar 2012 4:47PM

Quote:I've just spoken to someone at Park Cameras and found out they are having an event tomorrow with Olympus staff attending and of course they're bringing a production version of the OM-D!

My pre-order is already in and I have registered this on the Olympus website.

However.......... there is some doubt as to whether the camera will arrive, and my order processed, before the 30th April cut-off date for the grip offer - worth about 230. I have emailed Olympus for clarification but if you are attending this event I, and I'm sure others, would be interested to know exactly what date Olympus use. Wex maintain it is the date the order is processed, which would scupper the grip offer, but when I spoke to Olympus on the phone the lady indicated this was not so but wasn't very clear about it - hence my email to them.

I know nothing about the ever ready case.
rhol2 e2
3 311 1 United Kingdom
30 Mar 2012 5:14PM
What Digital Camera have their OM-D review out. It's very favourable They describe it as one of the best CSCs on the market. (But not THE best!)
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
30 Mar 2012 5:32PM
I must say that camera is lush, and I want one.....though I can't afford one.... Sad
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
31 Mar 2012 12:29AM

Quote:They describe it as one of the best CSCs on the market. (But not THE best!)

Well it seems there is no single best but, other than resolution, the OM-D seems to be top dog. This is what WDC say:

Quote:"And while it may not offer the ultimate resolution of the NEX-7, there's plenty of this that the OM-D does better, which is backed-up by an excellent selection of lenses."

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.