Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Olympus OM-D EM-5 Discussion

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

rhol2
rhol2 e2 Member 3302 forum postsrhol2 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
31 Mar 2012 - 7:09 AM

Quote: They describe it as one of the best CSCs on the market. (But not THE best!)

Well it seems there is no single best but, other than resolution, the OM-D seems to be top dog. This is what WDC say:

"And while it may not offer the ultimate resolution of the NEX-7, there's plenty of this that the OM-D does better, which is backed-up by an excellent selection of lenses."

I was being tongue in cheek.
For me it is the best, I'm saving up for one!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
31 Mar 2012 - 7:09 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139495 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
7 Apr 2012 - 1:03 PM

Just in case anyone is interested, I understand some UK retailers may not have supplies until early May. But this will not, in fact, affect being able to claim the free grip, which retails at about £230..... Wex seemed to think it would.

Below is Olympus's email to me.

Quote: Thank you for contacting Olympus.

As long as the invoice and serial number are being supplied by 31.05.2012 the date on the invoice does not matter.

Should you have any queries, please donít hesitate to contact our customer service team at: Olympus@sales-promotions.com or call us on 0207 659 1135

Best Wishes,
Tsvetelin Salutski
Olympus

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315465 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
7 Apr 2012 - 4:50 PM

As I thought CB Smile

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014851 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
7 Apr 2012 - 9:19 PM

I'm confused; is this a 4/3 or micro 4/3 sensor camera.

losbarbados
7 Apr 2012 - 9:23 PM

m4/3
Olympus seemingly ditched 4/3 with the E5

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139495 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
7 Apr 2012 - 9:35 PM

Quote: I'm confused; is this a 4/3 or micro 4/3 sensor camera.

Both 4/3 and Micro 4/3 have exactly the same size sensor. But M4/3 is mirrorless whereas 4/3 is conventional DSLR design.

The lenses for M4/3 can be, and are, physically smaller and lighter than 4/3 lenses for the same focal length..... just as, in a similar way, Leica rangefinder lenses are smaller than their SLR lenses.

Hope that helps. Smile

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014851 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
7 Apr 2012 - 9:35 PM

Dpreview say 4/3 in the specs.

StrayCat
7 Apr 2012 - 9:37 PM

Ok, got it, micro 4/3 lenses and a 4/3 sensor.Tongue

Carabosse
7 Apr 2012 - 9:37 PM

Quote: Dpreview say 4/3 in the specs.

Well that says a lot for DPR - they didn't notice the mirror was missing. Lol! Grin

It does look a bit like a small DSLR though.

olympus-om-d-em-5-jjc.jpg

Camairish
Camairish  81276 forum posts Scotland
8 Apr 2012 - 1:09 AM

It's a PEN with a built in EVF and better sensor - I want one.

AnneWorner
AnneWorner e2 Member 6613 forum postsAnneWorner vcard United States42 Constructive Critique Points
8 Apr 2012 - 1:32 AM

I don't just want one, I need one, and as soon as I get back from Europe I'm getting one as long as it's not sold out Tongue

Carabosse
8 Apr 2012 - 6:02 PM

Quote: as long as it's not sold out

Retailers are saying the pre-orders are positively ........................... Olympian! (Sorry couldn't resist Wink). They've never seen anything like it.

So you'll have to be quick.

Carabosse
9 Apr 2012 - 3:40 PM

Looks like there might be an premium Oly lens or two in the pipeline. At a premium price no doubt! Wink

From Damian McGillicuddy's blog:

Quote: tested out some AMAZING Olympus optics on the shoot... but I really can't elaborate on that... just yet ;0) But the lens is super crisp and sharp, it takes a lot to impress me but this certainly did.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315465 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
9 Apr 2012 - 3:48 PM

Quote: Looks like there might be an premium Oly lens or two in the pipeline. At a premium price no doubt!

There`s already a fair few nice primes and from what I understand there are two fast telphoto`s on the way from Pany, a 12-35 f2.8, and a 35-100 f2.8, both with constant apertures.

Carabosse
9 Apr 2012 - 7:19 PM

There are gaps in the Oly primes line-up.......... notably between the 12mm f2 and the 45mm f1.8 (FF equiv = 24 and 90mm). Their 17mm f2.8 lens does not impress (apparently). Also they don't have any really cracking zooms although their standard zooms are "good enough".

If Olympus are seeking to lure pro and semi-pro users over to cameras such as the OM-D, they will have to have a full range of top-notch lenses (primes and zooms), i.e. equivalent to the Canon L series.

Those Panny zooms sound interesting though! Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.