Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Olympus PEN E-P5 Announced

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    joshwa
    joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 4602 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
    10 May 2013 - 10:37 AM

The Olympus PEN E-P5 has been announced:
    http://www.ephotozine.com/article/olympus-launch-pen-e-p5-mirrorless-camera-2184...

We went hands-on here:
    http://www.ephotozine.com/article/olympus-pen-e-p5-hands-on-preview-21851

And compared it to the E-M5:
    http://www.ephotozine.com/article/olympus-pen-e-p5-vs-olympus-om-d-e-m5-comparis...

What do you think?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    10 May 2013 - 10:37 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

kodachrome
    10 May 2013 - 11:27 AM

I think at 999 with kit lens is expensive and then another 240 on top of that for the EVF. What's more of a concern is unlike most other new cameras, Olympus prices hardly ever drop much.
    Yes it looks like there are some great new features and performance to match but there are equally as good a cameras out there at more affordable prices and with built in EVF.

mikehit
    mikehit  56450 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    10 May 2013 - 11:50 AM

Quote: Olympus prices hardly ever drop much

True, but in the last 3 months the OM-D has dropped by 200 - maybe that with its 5-axis IBIS it genuinely had not had any competition until now. It will be interesting to see how Olympus themselves view the two cameras: if the street price of the EP5 drops on launch, will the OM-D price drop further? (I hope so Smile ) Or will Olympus take the view that they are parallel models and not 'upgrades' and give the buyer a choice: for example focus peaking with smaller body v inbuilt EVF and weather proofing?
    I guess it depends partly on consumer reaction and their plans for a 'new' OM-D model.

Last Modified By mikehit at 10 May 2013 - 11:50 AM
    Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139431 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    10 May 2013 - 12:39 PM

The OM-D has taken more than a year to drop below the (net) price I paid when it was launched! Wink And even now it is only about 30 less than it cost me over a year ago to buy the camera body.

It is always well worth keeping an eye out for bundled free goodies from Olympus; if, as in my case, you don't want them you can always sell the item and thus reduce your purchasing cost. Smile

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315347 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    10 May 2013 - 5:33 PM

Worth every Penny, the OMD was an extra 150 at launch.

A lot of people getting these will be upgrading from the EP3 and other Pens, many will probably already have an EVF.

Quote: Olympus PEN E-P5 Ultimate Kit with 17mm f/1.8 lens and VF-4 1349 / 1449

This should prove a good selling package.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 10 May 2013 - 5:37 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.