Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Olympus WCON-07C Wide Conversion Lens

28 Aug 2013 11:43PM
Does anyone have any first hand experience of using this lens, using an Olympus c7070wz if you do, can you post your Epz portfolio address so I can view the photos, please.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

30 Aug 2013 4:16PM
Yes, but none of the images are there to see. As supplementary lenses go they are by far the best you can get. Build quality is as good as the lens itself and they work very well.
It's a bit heavy and the zoom range is limited, but it gets the job done.

Have fun.
30 Aug 2013 8:22PM
Thank you Graham, you're right about build quality, not only the, 'New' to me wideangle Lens, but also the olympus C7070wz itself, size and weight wise, it was like carrying a Dslr, the C7070wz is Mag alloy. I've owned this used camera for about three years now. The lenscap on the, 'Olympus WCON-07C Wide Conversion Lens' is a whopping 105mm in diameter. the front element is 72mm diameter there is no provision for attaching filters. The adapter is a screw fit don't overtighten it you're using a lot of torque at 105mmm diameter. I drilled a 1.5mm hole in the edge of the Lenscap and attached a loop of fine black round section cord to it and then looped it through the camera strap.

So my own response to my post is this, - after some hands on use, which may be of help to prospective buyers/users of this Lens, here's what i found. After using the lens for the first time today, I've found one or two quirks, the first one being; you can only use an xd card to capture the images, raw or jpeg; this is also the case when making panoramas, with this camera, it has to be an xd card, fortunately i found this out before going on a shoot, i took a few test shots in the garden using the compact flash card, uploaded the cf cards contents onto my pc only to find the cf card was blank. However when you are taking pictures, the camera behaves and responds as though the images are being stored/written to the memory card! Don't leave or put a filter on the camera prior to attaching the Olympus WCON-07C Wide Conversion Lens (the 40.5mm one). When it telescopes back and forth it touches the inside of the adapter on maximum projection. The camera doesn't go into sleep mode, you have to turn it off yourself. Before using the Lens go to menu>set up>accessory> and select the middle icon, it looks like a Lens. You have to compose your photos using the Lcd screen not the viewfinder.

My first use of this lens was mainly of architecture, but my favourite genre is Street photography. this can be a challenge to ones confidence and balls! You can get someone from head to foot in the frame at approximately 2.5 metres including heads and feet. The 35mm equivalent is 18.9 mm, so there you have it, I hope my shutter count is good for a few thousand more shots, enjoy...

Regards, William

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.