Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Olympus XZ-1 firmware upgrade problem

otto32 e2
1 1
16 Jan 2013 11:07AM
Hi, I have XZ-1 with firmware version 1.2 and I am trying to upgrade it to v1.5. I am in Olympus Studio 2 v2.3 and it cannot connect with the camera. Tried it on Win7 computer and Win8 laptop, both no joy. Has anybody tried this and succeeded?
thanks

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
16 Jan 2013 11:27AM
Don't know about the XZ-1, but with many cameras the normal method of updating firmware is to download the new files to a computer, transfer them to a memory card and then insert the memory card into the camera and follow instructions on the camera.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
16 Jan 2013 6:58PM

Quote:but with many cameras the normal method of updating firmware is to download the new files to a computer, transfer them to a memory card and then insert the memory card into the camera and follow instructions on the camera

Some camera manufacturers are still living in the dark ages Smile

Firstly are you running the OLYMPUS Digital Camera Updater, this is needed, then just connect the camera and follow the instructions.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_downloads_updater_info.asp?intCmp=oima_frm_omfirm
strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
16 Jan 2013 9:03PM
Ah but Paul it works Wink

It might be worth reverting to downloading the update and sticking it on the memory card as that is all the Olympus software is doing. You do not want to leave your PC involved with real time passing the firmware change directly to your camera. you want it stored on a memory card.

It sounds like the Olympus software is struggling to obtain USB contact with the camera. Can you read its memory card contents? Also do you have to set it into a PC mode for it to work. Sometimes you need to select an operating system specific option in the camera menu. And generally you want the camera battery fully charged and a freshly in-camera formatted memory card.

And it always pays to try un-plugging the camera and re-starting the computer then plugging the camera into a different USB port.

Just generic things to try.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
16 Jan 2013 9:15PM

Quote:It might be worth reverting to downloading the update and sticking it on the memory card as that is all the Olympus software is doing

John the Olympus software does not save the firmware to a memory card, its installs this directly to the camera, quick and simple.

Its a method Olympus have used since 2004, other manufacturers have been so far behind, its um believable.
otto32 e2
1 1
16 Jan 2013 9:58PM
Thanks guys, very helpful. I have managed now to do it via Olympus update software, it took 30 minutes before anything happened, I was getting worried it has crashed or what. Warning - if unsuccessful, it may render camera useless made this update seem veeery looong. I was relieved, when it posted OK on the camera display. I am now on v 1.5 and trying to see how bad it is re. noise etc. Shame Oly ceased to develop this further, and rather brought out XZ-2 which is much bigger for my pocket. It looks like a deliberate policy of camera makers, to whet the appetite and bring new model with half of the improvements with other half saved for the next one.
OK, back to some photography Wink
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
16 Jan 2013 10:09PM
Firmware updates generally just take a few minutes for me.

Maybe the server was just busy or something.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.