Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

OM-D battery problem?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    mikehit
    mikehit  46163 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Jul 2013 - 2:59 PM

I seem to have a problem with my OM-D seemingly leaking power but need to know if this is, in fact, normal.

I have loaded a fully charged battery and left the camera untouched - after about 5 hours it is completely discharged. I have tried two OEM batteries and a Hahnel 3rd-party battery all with the same result.
    I sent it for servicing and the service report said they had replaced the motherboard. When they returned it they included another OEM battery.

Of course the first thing I did was load a fully charged battery and left and.... the same thing happened. With three different OEM batteries.

Before phoning Olympus again I just want to know if anyone else has experienced this - for example, does the 'always on' IBIS gradually drain the battery?

Any comments welcome.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    16 Jul 2013 - 2:59 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314915 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Jul 2013 - 3:37 PM

The battery life is not particularly good with the OMD to begin with and some of my third part batteries are really bad.

Can`t say I know of batteries draining though.

My OMD did not like the heat on Saturday, I left it sat in the sun for ten minutes and when I switched it on it went crazy.

Mind you it was almost hot enough to cook an egg on Smile

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 16 Jul 2013 - 3:38 PM
    brian1208
    brian1208 e2 Member 1110166 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Jul 2013 - 4:35 PM

No sign of drain on mine with 2 X Olympus OEM battery or 2 X 3rd party pattern battery.

I always have IBIS on (with half-press of shutter button) but only use the EVF with no image review (although a fair bit of "Chimping" is done on occasions to check histogram, focus etc). AF is only activated on half-press so I wonder of continuous AF may be a drain? (never tried it)

Worst battery life is down around 350 shots, best over 1000 shots / charge

rogerfry
    rogerfry e2 Member 8501 forum postsrogerfry vcard United Kingdom
    16 Jul 2013 - 5:05 PM

No problems here (although chimping can take it's toll)

In custom settings menu D...what setting have you got for auto power off? I believe if you have it set to off, the magnets are drawing power to hold the sensor in place, even tho' the IS isn't working. I'm not absolutely certain about this, but it may be worth checking.

Stephen_w3d
    16 Jul 2013 - 5:10 PM

I accidentaly left mine switched on when I put it away on the weekend, came to use it monday evening and it was still ok. I think i have auto power off set to 30mins. So it looks like you have a problem if after 5 hours the battery is flat.

mikehit
    16 Jul 2013 - 5:53 PM

When I first got the camera I had it set to factory defaults and the battery drain happened. So I set eye sensor to off and all the other bits to maximise battery life - same issue.
    Since it came back from the overhaul, I have factory defaults and still the same problem.

I will have another look on all the shut down times etc then contact Olympus again if nothing solves it.

StrayCat
    StrayCat  1014469 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Jul 2013 - 7:35 PM

Something definitely wrong Mike. I have never had any of my 5 batteries drain with the camera not in use. I would have questioned the battery, but you've checked with several, so it has to be the camera. I would check with Olympus and ask them to check it after applying any fixes to it. Did you buy it new?

mikehit
    16 Jul 2013 - 8:32 PM

Thanks, Denny.
    I got it as a refurb from the Olympus store on eBay Germany - it came with a 1-year warranty so it would not cost me any money. I just need to check on consumer laws in Germany, now Grin.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314915 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Jul 2013 - 10:26 PM

Are you sure its just a one year warranty, most are two.

mikehit
    17 Jul 2013 - 8:40 AM

I think it is one year only because it is a refurb.

An interesting development - I put 2 OEM batteries into the charger and the orange light comes on. When it goes off, I load it into the camera and the camera meter shows no battery (red and flashing). Put the battery back into the charger the orange light comes on and goes off a few minutes later. back in the camera, the camera battery meter still shows no charge.
    Even if the charger is not working properly, it does not explain the battery drain problem.

This is a mess.

StrayCat
    StrayCat  1014469 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Jul 2013 - 6:34 PM

Mike, from what you say, the charger seems to be at fault, and you're not getting very much of a charge. I wonder if it might be a different voltage or something, coming from Germany. They may have had it for the North American market or something. I'd go online and buy an aftermarket battery or 2 with charger, and give it a try.

Last Modified By StrayCat at 17 Jul 2013 - 6:35 PM
    Paul Morgan
    17 Jul 2013 - 6:43 PM

Try wiping the contacts on the battery terminals since there new, I often do this with new flash batteries.

Peter_Hartland
    4 Aug 2013 - 10:23 PM

I haven't noticed a drain such as you quote on mine but do notice a drain over a few weeks on batteries evn outside the camera. This has caught me out a few times whn I think I'm taking fully charged batteries on a shoot to find they dont last very long compared to one charged the night before

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.