Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

  • NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here


PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

OMD - EM-1: The truth revealed?


StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
10 Sep 2013 6:37PM
All I can say is I'm glad I'm not one of the Olympus 4/3 owners who got caught on this one, what you've said is nothing compared to what I would have said to Olympus. Imo, as soon as they made the decision to dump 4/3, they should have told 4/3 owners, loyal customers who have been led down the garden path. People have been buying expensive 4/3 lenses, expecting to get an upgraded body to use them on, and now they either have to sell them at a big loss, or go with limited use on a tiny body. I sympathise totally with those of you who have been sucked into this scam. Olympus have a lot to answer for, imo.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
10 Sep 2013 7:09PM

Quote:Hope this helps!Tongue



Nope, still not sure why you joined EPZ to bring your campaign here?
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
10 Sep 2013 8:57PM

Quote:The writing has been on the wall for some time, I sold all my Olympus kit about 18 months ago nothing wrong with the cameras and lenses but I lost all faith in the company, I took a hit of course but I think that it would have been much worse if I had waited until now.


Its been on the wall since day one with the E1, four thirds is finally getting to were it set out to be.
Dann
1 221
10 Sep 2013 9:51PM
Amen.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
11 Sep 2013 12:16AM
The poster needs to open his eyes, in one swoop M4/3 has now gained a fair few superb 4/3 lenses, and 4/3 has gained as well, not lost.

Bodies have a short life cycle, lenses don`t.
strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
11 Sep 2013 1:00AM
I think olympus did the correct thing in moving to m4/3 it is painful but in the long term they had to do something and the current m4/3 cameras have cut a niche/market for themselves. In that light the new camera looks very logical. Think of it as replacing the OM1 and it makes a lot of sense. Match it with a few primes...

In facet the E-M5 and a few primes could be a cracker, especially as the price is softening. I feel Olympus have managed to get their act together in the past year or so. But the test is how many people rush down to the shops and buy. And at least they are keeping you adapters to use the 4/3 lenses.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
11 Sep 2013 2:35AM
Its all part of the 4/3 evolution.

I had premonitions of this direction as soon as I bought the Olympus E330, the first practical DSLR camera with live view.


Quote:Match it with a few primes...


Yes or the new and on the way 12-40mm and 40-150mm f2.8`s.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
11 Sep 2013 8:40AM
From what I have read so far the performance of the FT lenses on the EM-1 matches that on the FT bodies, all in a smaller package. And if you factor in that the money das7 loses in selling his gear would probably pay for a new EM-1, and there are as many rumours about and E-7 being released as there are about its death it seems the OP is acting like a spoiled brat throwing a tantrum.
das7 1 33
11 Sep 2013 10:12AM
Some posters get it - others don't - but then, intelligence was'nt meant for everyone!Tongue

If the caps fits ............?
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
11 Sep 2013 10:37AM
What promises did Olympus actually make?

Did they make any positive statements that they would bring out a DSLR?

When 4/3 was introduced, I dismissed the system completely as offering very little advantage at considerable expense. M4/3 is a different proposition altogether and I happily ditched my Canon 5D II + several Canon lenses in favour of it.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
11 Sep 2013 11:29AM
Let's backtrack a bit.
What do you see the E-7 doing that the EM-1 cannot?
Given that the EM-1 is their flagship camera and uses what you see as "what parts have we already got in the bin..." with a sensor that is "the old one modified etc, " what do you think they would put in the E-7 if not those same parts?
And if the EM-1 AF tracking is "shoddy" what new technology do you think they have in the background waiting to be put in the E-7?

Even then FT was introduced several commentators predicted it was a dead end - smaller sensor for no advantage in camera size, image quality nor cost. The mFT is the logicla heir. So why would Olympus put in the E-7 any technology that is not in their flagship EM-1?
The only way I can interpret your comments is that you would prefer them not to have released the EM-1 at all because that would enable you to live in a world that says the E series has a future (which it still might).

So yes, applying intelligence can be helpful.
das7 1 33
11 Sep 2013 11:29AM

Quote:What promises did Olympus actually make?

Did they make any positive statements that they would bring out a DSLR?

When 4/3 was introduced, I dismissed the system completely as offering very little advantage at considerable expense. M4/3 is a different proposition altogether and I happily ditched my Canon 5D II + several Canon lenses in favour of it.



Yes! They continued to deny 4/3 DSLRs were to be discontinued as late as July 2013 and strongly indicated that the "new E-7" was a direct replacement for the E-5 (ie, a DSLR) - that is the letdown!

As posted earlier - I have no problem with mFT system - it's just not the system I and many others invested in.

As it turns out - you were right to dismiss the 4/3 system - but how would you react if you hadn't?

Hope this helps Tongue
das7 1 33
11 Sep 2013 12:37PM

Quote:Let's backtrack a bit.
What do you see the E-7 doing that the EM-1 cannot?
Given that the EM-1 is their flagship camera and uses what you see as "what parts have we already got in the bin..." with a sensor that is "the old one modified etc, " what do you think they would put in the E-7 if not those same parts?
And if the EM-1 AF tracking is "shoddy" what new technology do you think they have in the background waiting to be put in the E-7?

Even then FT was introduced several commentators predicted it was a dead end - smaller sensor for no advantage in camera size, image quality nor cost. The mFT is the logicla heir. So why would Olympus put in the E-7 any technology that is not in their flagship EM-1?
The only way I can interpret your comments is that you would prefer them not to have released the EM-1 at all because that would enable you to live in a world that says the E series has a future (which it still might).

So yes, applying intelligence can be helpful.




I recall answering these questions in a past post!


Quote:Some posters get it - others don't - but then, intelligence was'nt meant for everyone!Tongue

If the caps fits ............?



Hope this helps, Smile
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
11 Sep 2013 5:54PM
Can't say I would ever get so wedded to a manufacturer that I would be waiting with baited breath for years in the hope something might happen.

Things have changed. Once upon a time a lens was "for life" but nowadays with easy means of selling them on, often at only a little less than what was paid, many of us chop and change lenses. Even since going M4/3, the lenses (and camera body) I own now are not those I started with, a relatively short time ago.

As I said, I even ditched an entire Canon system. Pros on here switched from Canon to Nikon a few years back, even if they had been Canon users for donkey's years, when Canon wasn't providing what they wanted.

There's really no room, or indeed need, for sentimentality these days.
strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
11 Sep 2013 6:01PM
I am with you here CB. Sometimes you try a brand and it fits. then 5 years later you decide another brand fits.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.