Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

OMD Cracked Bezel

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
joshwa
joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 3601 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
29 Nov 2012 - 10:05 AM

Mine's not cracked.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
29 Nov 2012 - 10:05 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

rogerfry
rogerfry e2 Member 8504 forum postsrogerfry vcard United Kingdom
29 Nov 2012 - 10:19 AM

Just discovered I'm a crack addict Smile.........same as CB, can barely feel it with a fingernail, and had to use a magnifying glass to be sure, but it's definitely there. Sad

ErictheViking
ErictheViking e2 Member 1124 forum postsErictheViking vcard Scotland102 Constructive Critique Points
29 Nov 2012 - 10:45 AM

I don't own an OMD so have nothing to check however I looked at the pics on the link and there is a very faint crack appearing on a second screw which makes me believe this is a stress fracture caused by the screws beside the bezel - manufacturing error. Not good for this price of camera.

Please note if there is any type of crack and it is a stress fracture its likely to get worse over time which could explain the differences some people are experiencing.

Eric

rogerfry
29 Nov 2012 - 10:46 AM

From another forum it seems that it's fairly general, and Olympus acknowledge the problem.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
29 Nov 2012 - 11:12 AM

Overtightened screws seems to be the consensus about the problem - so I guess it is inevitable some units are affected and others not.

My crack (no jokes please! Tongue) is so faint that its is something I would be tempted to cover with a tiny bit of black tape and hope it doesn't get worse...... but it might.

Hmm..... bit of a dilemma: should I return it to Olympus or not? It would not be good if it got worse - just out of warranty.

rogerfry
29 Nov 2012 - 11:20 AM

Quote: Overtightened screws seems to be the consensus about the problem - so I guess it is inevitable some units are affected and others not.

Hmm..... bit of a dilemma: should I return it to Olympus or not? It would not be good if it got worse - just out of warranty.

Being out of warranty shouldn't matter.....if it's a manufacturing problem, the ".....fit for purpose" argument would apply.

If the crack gets worse, it may affect the weather resistance and allow water to be drawn in.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
29 Nov 2012 - 11:43 AM

Are you returning yours Roger?

If it is out of warranty a manufacturer may use all sorts of arguments - rough handling etc.

rogerfry
29 Nov 2012 - 11:51 AM

Quote: Are you returning yours Roger?

If it is out of warranty a manufacturer may use all sorts of arguments - rough handling etc.

I probably will, on the basis that it can only get worse, not better.

If it's an acknowledged manufacturing error, I don't think they could argue against it.

Carabosse
29 Nov 2012 - 12:26 PM

I have just been on the phone to Olympus UK. The girl I spoke to clearly knew nothing about this but told me the camera should be returned to the retailer.

Spoke to WEX, who supplied the E-M5 body to me: they are collecting the camera tomorrow.............. 4-6 weeks quoted. Lucky I have plenty of other imaging devices!

mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
29 Nov 2012 - 1:36 PM

Guess I'll need to get the magnifying glass out later. Sad

joshwa
joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 3601 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
29 Nov 2012 - 2:13 PM

Quote: Mine's not cracked.

Just rechecked - mine's not cracked in the same place as shown in the first link, but is cracked underneath the screw.

We've contacted Olympus about it:
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/olympus-om-d-cracked-screen-bezels-20813

AnneWorner
AnneWorner e2 Member 6606 forum postsAnneWorner vcard United States41 Constructive Critique Points
29 Nov 2012 - 2:33 PM

Mine is definitely cracked same place as yours - bummer!

Last Modified By AnneWorner at 29 Nov 2012 - 2:35 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315163 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
29 Nov 2012 - 2:47 PM

Quote: I have just been on the phone to Olympus UK. The girl I spoke to clearly knew nothing about this but told me the camera should be returned to the retailer

How odd, I`ve just spoken to Olympus and they have told me to send it back to them, surely they should just replace it.

AnneWorner
AnneWorner e2 Member 6606 forum postsAnneWorner vcard United States41 Constructive Critique Points
29 Nov 2012 - 3:03 PM

I've just sent an email query to Olympus USA - had trouble getting through on the phone this morning (waiting time!).

Maybe they will rethink the LCD screen for future models - the flip screen on the E-620 is much better imo, and I've never had an issue with it.

Carabosse
29 Nov 2012 - 5:46 PM

Quote: How odd, I`ve just spoken to Olympus and they have told me to send it back to them, surely they should just replace it.

Weird. Anyway WEX is acting promptly, so I'm not too concerned. They told me they would contact Olympus as a first step; I guess it is up to the manufacturer to decide whether to replace or repair.

If you take a car as an analogy, warranty work will not normally mean replacing the car unless there is something drastically wrong with it, i.e. it is completely unfit for purpose. A near-invisible hairline crack on a screen bezel does not affect the working of the camera, so a repair would not be unexepected. I'm not too fussed so long as it gets sorted. Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.