Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

On a budget

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    termite53
    termite53 e2 Member 1termite53 vcard United Kingdom
    5 Apr 2013 - 8:36 PM

I decided last year when I moved back to my home town, to resume my interest in photography. A few years ago I bought myself a good bridge camera, an Olympus 570uz, which was great for what i wanted it for at the time.

My brother had a Canon 350d which he bought second hand and I realised just how much more versatile it was compared to mine but not having a lot of money (I still don't) I bought myself a 1100d body, cost 320, which in all honesty is fine for me. My brother had a spare kit lens and i bought myself a Tamron 55-200mm lens, 99...so far so good.

I was in a charity shop in Winchester toward the end of last year and in there was a Canon 350v 35mm film camera with a Canon 28-125 lens...I bought the two for 44.95...I've seen the lens on E-Bay go for well over 100..and it works perfectly....It gets a lot of use as it's perfect for most senarios.......I did lash out on a nifty fifty just before Christmas but today a friend of mine, who's mother works in a charity shop , dropped me in a Canon 750 35mm camera with a metal mount 50mm lens....twice the weight of my current nifty...and it takes bloody good pics too... I've also picked up a 28-80 mm usm lens for next to nothing.

My point is,with these ramblings that if you are on a budget, going round charity shops can sometimes pay dividends, I was told that with the 750, as they have no way of testing the lens they were going to 'throw it in the bin', lens and all. That cost me nothing. Ten years old or so but works on my camera.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    5 Apr 2013 - 8:36 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139450 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Apr 2013 - 8:38 PM

Welcome to EPZ, Tony. Smile

paulcookphotography

Hiya, and welcome to ePhotozine Smile

Really good points! All too often we are tempted by the latest kit and spend a fair amount of money on the latest kit when we might not actually need to. You can find great bargains in older kits found in second hand shops or online in places like eBay or Gumtree. As a (mostly) Nikon user i started building my lens array by snapping up second hand film bodies with lenses that were selling cheap as few wanted the body itself, or using the lenses i already had from my 35mm days. Some of the older lenses are very well built and more robust than the equivalent 'budget' lenses that carry more plastic. I have a modern 'nifty fifty', but in the studio i do tend to bolt on the old manual lens.

And good on you for realising the 1100D is fine for you! When and if you feel you have outgrown it i am sure you will upgrade, maybe not even for the latest, but as you say its good enough for you. I wonder how many folk here would be honest enough to admit that the X amount they spend on 'upgrades' has been justified

termite53
    5 Apr 2013 - 10:52 PM

Gentlemen, thank you very much for the warm welcome. I have been looking at your wok and if I can hit your standards I will be delighted,
    Carabosse, I love the snow fox and Paul the 'Ice maiden' is stunning

sparrowhawk
    sparrowhawk e2 Member 5267 forum postssparrowhawk vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Apr 2013 - 11:05 PM

welcome to the family !

saltireblue
    saltireblue Site Moderator 43922 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway25 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Apr 2013 - 8:23 AM

Greetings and welcome aboard, Tony.
    Some excellent tips there. There are certainly lots of people who would never have thought of charity shops.
    If you want to get into photography, but don't want to commit the money before you find out if you enjoy it or not, then your tip is a good pointer.

Malc

franken
    franken e2 Member 123132 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Apr 2013 - 8:36 AM

Welcome to EPZ,Tony. EPZ is a great site so enjoy!

Ken

ErictheViking
    ErictheViking e2 Member 1124 forum postsErictheViking vcard Scotland102 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Apr 2013 - 8:57 AM

Welcome to the site Tony,, I have second hand equipment for the same reason as yourself and I also have some old FD lenses for my canon AE1 which I happily will use on my Canon 5D to get the results I want. I've looked at your loaded work and I like the images especially the rail carriage.

Erik Grin

Last Modified By ErictheViking at 6 Apr 2013 - 8:57 AM
    GPTek
    GPTek e2 Member 8437 forum postsGPTek vcard England1 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Apr 2013 - 10:01 AM

Welcome to EPZ Tony, and I bought most of my kit second hand too.

Geoff

hobbo
    hobbo e2 Member 3798 forum postshobbo vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Apr 2013 - 12:39 PM

Very recently I owed a big favour to a friend who is a very keen but cash- strapped photographer, still using good quality film cameras but wanting break into digital fr the first time.

After a little research, then a look at a couple of very informative videos on You-Tube I purchased, via eBay a fully functional and rather dated.....

FUJI S2 PRO complete with a 1 Gb card for circa 90 and a NIKON AF VR 18/200 lens for circa 60 ..... A decent kit for around 150.

You can see one of the test pics taken with it if you look for .....WINTER ROSES.....in my recent portfolio, the colour rendition is spot on, no wonder the camera was a favourite of some wedding photographers.

Yes!......Getting used to using the quirky menus and settings on this beast of a camera is a bit of a challenge, but a little of that harms no one.......oh! ....and that lens can be used on ny future NIKON purchased.

Hobbo

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139450 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Apr 2013 - 12:56 PM

A friend of mine, similarly cash-strapped, has for been using a Canon film SLR which I gave him in 2002 when I switched to digital.

He recently bought a modest digital compact and is amazed at the high quality of his results.

termite53
    7 Apr 2013 - 8:01 AM

The other side to looking out for second hand...(or should that be 'pre used' in this world of political correctness) lenses is that I am building up a collection of 'pre used' cameras too. I still have my old Olympus Trip camera, which was given to me as a Christmas present back in 1975, A Voigtlandar Vito B, (fixed lens) made between 1954-60..a Praktika IV, 1959-60... a Canon 750, 1988-90 and a Canon 350v, they finished production in 2001.
    I have film in the 350v at the moment and am taking pictures using all of my lenes, I am looking forward to seeing the results. The Praktika and Voightlander came as a 'job lot', the praktika has a wide angle lens, I'm waiting for the M42 mount adapter to arrive.
    My first ever camera by the way was a Kodak box brownie, again a present, received when I was about 12-13 years old. It took 620 film and if my memory serves me correctly, only 16 pictures.......my how we have moved on.......

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.