Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

on line lenses

1 Oct 2012 11:32AM
Hi all,
can anyone tell me if they have used simplyelectric for on line purchases, they are very cheap but, I have heard you never get your goods, but, youdo get your money back after months of enquiries

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

1 Oct 2012 11:34AM
sorry guys I meant simply electronics
CaptivePhotons e2
11 1.6k 2 England
1 Oct 2012 11:34AM
Take your pick. Click me
1 Oct 2012 11:41AM
thanks for that I think I will steer clear
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
1 Oct 2012 11:51AM
I would!......Try Flash Camera for an altogether much better proposition, if you're in the market for a grey import. You won't have any bother from this seller......What's more he'll supply you with an invoice which will make the warranty valid.

AdeGrin
1 Oct 2012 12:02PM
thanks Ade I have just had a look, they are about average pricing but if it is a sound site I may decide to go for it
Cheers Jeff
I recently used Panamoz.com for a new 60d body only. Excellent service and communication. Oh and price. They are also grey imports, but at the moment most lenses are supplied with a 12 month replacement warranty as standard. So should the worst happen they simply send a new lens.
janovilas e2
10 218 England
2 Oct 2012 10:34AM

Quote:I would!......Try Flash Camera for an altogether much better proposition, if you're in the market for a grey import. You won't have any bother from this seller......What's more he'll supply you with an invoice which will make the warranty valid.

AdeGrin

Can't recommend Flash Camera enough - Don't think I've bought anything from anywhere else in recent years (camera kit wise obviously). Never had a problem & Ian is knowledgeable, helpful and a pleasure to deal with.
User_Removed 12 2.8k 11 United Kingdom
2 Oct 2012 2:16PM
Me too. Flash cameras. Brilliant service. Smile
thanks everyone for your input.... It looks like Flash Cameras has it.:
I just bought a new Canon 15-85mm from here . Two day delivery, good communications so very pleased with them. Mind you, what happens if something goes wrong may be another matter but they do give you a one year warranty.
User_Removed 3 112 Wales
9 Oct 2012 11:14AM
I recently bought a 17-40L from Pro Camera Shop for under 500.00 - brand new and in a proper box, if you pay by Bank Transfer, you get a 3% discount. Great comms and no problems whatsoever - probably grey imports but they offer a 12 month seller warranty - same as my local camera shop on UK stock though and saved 150.00 to boot!
15 Oct 2012 11:51AM

Quote: they offer a 12 month seller warranty - same as my local camera shop on UK stock

Maybe the same - maybe not.
The "sellers warranty" may be an insurance extended warranty which requires the lens to go overseas, and maybe a sliding scale payment if repairs cannot be done. Have you checked?
A UK 12 month warranty is from the manufacturer for UK service, not the shop. As a guide for most faults within 6 months you are entitled (at your option) to a refund or replacement from the local shop, plus often at least a contribution outside a 12 month period.
If a lens from overseas arrives without a UK VAT invoice it is likely there has been 27% tax avoidance.
strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
15 Oct 2012 12:02PM
A seller warranty with a supplier out of the country is a lot less secure than an approved UK seller warranty. For example the manufacturer will stand behind you if the supplier fails in the UK, but that is not always true if the HK retailer fails. Also UK retailer warranty will have repairs by manufacturer approved repairer but the offshore one could be with anyone.

Check the box, the 17 to 40 L should have turned up with a Canon international warranty because it is an L series. If it turned up without that I would verify the serial number with Canon to make certain it is not a reject or written off lens. The canon international warranty is worth having and secures you from having to work with a supplier from HK.

Also if your lens turned up without all taxes being paid if you bought from a non-uk company then you are liable for the missing taxes as you will be the importer.

Also avoid bank transfer like the plague as your protection levels are tiny compared to with a credit card, especially when dealing with non-Europe traders. It is a good reason why those scam merchants use that form of payment.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.