Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

One-a-day.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

50% OFF new PortraitPro 12, plus EXTRA 5% OFF code EPHZROS414.
Jestertheclown
30 Jul 2012 - 11:47 PM

I've been doing a one-a-day for a year challenge (366 days as it's a leap year and I began before Feb. 29th.) for what seems like forever and I've just uploaded image no.183 into my blog.

That's exactly half way.

If anyone's out there feeling at a bit of a loose end and wondering what to do next photographically speaking, you might want to give it a try.
It's harder work than you might imagine but it really does get you thinking!

Bren.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
30 Jul 2012 - 11:47 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Nigeyboy
Nigeyboy  5534 forum posts United Kingdom
31 Jul 2012 - 9:59 AM

Hi Bren

I wanted to retry doing this Ė only got about 2 weeks in last time!! What do you find you take pictures of? When I was doing it, I started a long stint of evening overtime so didnít have the time to go out shooting things! I am doing similar now Ė 2 weeks into a 5 weeks straight without a single day off except for a funeral next week! I need to use photography as a wind down, but donít have the energy right now!!

Nige

Jestertheclown
31 Jul 2012 - 10:19 AM

Hi Nige,
I'm just going out. I'll reply later.

llareggub
llareggub  3639 forum posts United Kingdom
31 Jul 2012 - 11:10 AM

Good Luck, I begun "365" projects in 2010, 2011 and 2012. I completed 2010 but gave up at about this time of the year in 2011 but am still going strong this year and enjoying it more than ever, it can sometimes be a bind but it is great to look back and see what was happening Smile

My Project 365 is here, where do you host yours always good to nosey through someone elses life Wink

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013939 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jul 2012 - 11:37 AM

Quote: My Project 365 is here, where do you host yours always good to nosey through someone elses life Wink

You can find bredans and a few others in the blog section here.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 53999 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jul 2012 - 11:49 AM

The longest I lasted was two weeks but I gave up as I found it a complete waste of time. I was just snapping any old thing just to put a picture up. It depressed me to be honest.

rossd
rossd  111061 forum posts England
31 Jul 2012 - 12:45 PM

Quote: I was just snapping any old thing just to put a picture up. It depressed me to be honest.

Agree 100%! Taking a photo just for the sake of doing so (or to fulfil a daily quota) is not my idea of creative/original photography.

Nigeyboy
Nigeyboy  5534 forum posts United Kingdom
31 Jul 2012 - 12:56 PM

Quote: Agree 100%! Taking a photo just for the sake of doing so (or to fulfil a daily quota) is not my idea of creative/original photography.

- isn't the idea to try and force you to be more creative / think outside of your normal comfort zone?

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 53999 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jul 2012 - 1:02 PM

Quote: Agree 100%! Taking a photo just for the sake of doing so (or to fulfil a daily quota) is not my idea of creative/original photography. - isn't the idea to try and force you to be more creative / think outside of your normal comfort zone?

Perhaps the pertinent word here is "force". That implies doing something against your will, which I find quite a negative idea.

779HOB
779HOB  2985 forum posts United Kingdom
31 Jul 2012 - 1:07 PM

I probably take a photo a day but never thought about it as a forced thing, I just snap something for fun - took my pot of porridge this morning!

por.jpg

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013939 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jul 2012 - 1:54 PM

Quote: - isn't the idea to try and force you to be more creative / think outside of your normal comfort zone?

Yup, I find it stretches me too look for images/try techniques I wouldn't usually bother with, or make me look for shots on days I would not otherwise bother to get the camera out for.
So far (75 days in) I have been pretty happy with a fair percentage of the images I have produced so far, so it seems to be working for me.

llareggub
llareggub  3639 forum posts United Kingdom
31 Jul 2012 - 2:00 PM

I have found it very helpful in working on technique rather than creativity, for me photography is a mix of both so forcing myself to try and work on the technical aspects every day has improved my photographic abilit no end in the last 2.5 years.

rossd
rossd  111061 forum posts England
31 Jul 2012 - 2:46 PM

A well planned and challenging project can certainly pay dividends when it comes to exploring creativity and stretching technique etc.
However, having to snap 'something or anything' on a daily basis in order to meet a one-a-day quota is not for me. But each to their own of course and obviously this method appeals to quite a few.

lobsterboy
31 Jul 2012 - 2:58 PM

The way I think of it is that if you want to be a good pianist you have to practice every day. Why should photography be any different ?

CaptivePhotons
CaptivePhotons e2 Member 101497 forum postsCaptivePhotons vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jul 2012 - 3:03 PM

Quote: Agree 100%! Taking a photo just for the sake of doing so (or to fulfil a daily quota) is not my idea of creative/original photography. - isn't the idea to try and force you to be more creative / think outside of your normal comfort zone?

Perhaps the pertinent word here is "force". That implies doing something against your will, which I find quite a negative idea.

I think better terms would be 'prompt', 'challenge' or even 'inspire'.

I'm nearing the end of my project and it has certainly made me think. Some days I have lacked enthusiasm and finding a shot that isn't just a picture of anything can be difficult. What the project has done is made me look at everything from a different perspective; can I make an interesting shot from something mundane?

Overall it's been an enjoyable venture that I'm pleased I started. Will I do another? Not planning to but you never know.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.