Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

one lens

dacko 7 8 United Kingdom
31 Jul 2010 10:55AM
Hi everyone,i am going to take some casual shots at my neices wedding and plan to only take one of my two lenses.either 70-300 or 50mm 1.8 prime lens,any suggestions.cheers rob

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 4 238
31 Jul 2010 11:11AM
50mm for me. Its a fast lens and good quality. Good for the informal candids.
blackbird 8 159 15 United Kingdom
31 Jul 2010 11:45AM
another vote for the 50mm, it's light and easy to carry so won't be a nuisance for you, also fairly unobtrusive.
Use it wide open to isolate people from the backgrounds
User_Removed 4 238
31 Jul 2010 11:49AM
good idea to take just the one lens, no fiddling around changing them, and as said easier on the carry too
miptog 9 3.5k 61 United Kingdom
31 Jul 2010 11:55AM
50mm 1.8
keith selmes 11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
31 Jul 2010 1:33PM
I'd take the 50
BigRick 9 2.1k 3 United Kingdom
31 Jul 2010 1:35PM
what camera is it going to be used on?

and where are the shots going to be taken i.e. indoors or outside?

as for the lens.... i would take the 50mm and deal with no zoom for the lower light capabilities, if the shots will be indoors.... but i would take the 70-300 if the shots will be outside as it would be better for candids due to the distance you can be from the subject, and them not knowing they are being snapped. Smile
elconguero 9 34 United Kingdom
31 Jul 2010 1:52PM
Take both! You can swan around with a 'big camera, like a pro', annoy the official tog and have loads of people tell you that their compact has more megapixels..... Wink

I'd go with the 50mm too - in fact if had to do away with all but one of my lenses for the rest of my life, it would be the 50mm.
31 Jul 2010 1:59PM
Many of us only had one lens at one time - the 'std' lens so called.

Take the 50mm.
User_Removed 4 238
31 Jul 2010 2:24PM
Yup, in fact, if you went to buy a new SLR it came with...........................................would you believe a 50mm?

Often, these days I go out with my camera and just the 50. Too far away? get closer. The oldest advice of all and still relevent in my opinion is fill the frame.

Just having the one lens helps me to think about composition and since its a manual focus, it slows me down a bit. I watch people with DSLR's at 5 fps, bladdering away and think, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Ok 3 frame bracket, fair enough, lots of people do that. But to just hammer away in full auto mode smacks of 200 disappointing images instead of one.

Ho hum
31 Jul 2010 2:30PM

Quote:But to just hammer away in full auto mode smacks of 200 disappointing images instead of one.

"Can of worms" springs to mind! Wink
User_Removed 4 238
31 Jul 2010 2:42PM
yeah i know, but i meant camera, same setting, 200 shots etc.

I know sports photography etc might demand that on occasion, but i was referring to the "newly acquired DSLR with the new user behind it" syndrome.

Sorry to all you keen and good sports togs, didn't mean you

Dave
31 Jul 2010 2:53PM
My early Yashica FR1 + bolt-on motordrive would hammer away for as long as you held the shutter button down (or til the end of the film).

One had to learn to become adept at just holding the button down for one shot only.
cameracat 11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
31 Jul 2010 2:54PM
If the choice is between those two lens only, For sure take just the 50mm.....Smile

Though I would be inclined to take the other one as well, But maybe leave it in the car....Grin

Because for really true candids, Where the subject has no idea your framing them up ( from the other side of a room/hall etc ) Something with a bit more reach might be useful.

Not that you can't candid with a 50mm, But you do have to be fairly close and risk being obvious.....Wink
User_Removed 4 238
31 Jul 2010 3:04PM

Quote:My early Yashica FR1 + bolt-on motordrive would hammer away for as long as you held the shutter button down (or til the end of the film).

One had to learn to become adept at just holding the button down for one shot only.

Similar sort of thing to my Olmpus om1 and on2, got power winders on both. The trick is to use it in single shot mode most of the time.

I still think the "Nikon choir" calls to many beginners like the siren to sailors. lol

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.