Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

One of the most influential and yet relatively unknown.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    gcarth
    gcarth e2 Member 102255 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Sep 2010 - 3:37 PM

I don't know how many of you have heard of Edward Bernays. I hadn't heard of him until only a few years ago.
    This American is dead now but his influence remains potent as ever and probably will remain so well into the future.
    He has been "credited" with being one of the original pioneers of modern propaganda and quite unashamedly promoted the idea that governments, advertisers and various bodies of elite power should employ manipulative techniques in controlling, pacifying and neutralizing any dissident thoughts that the public might have. He supplied the "opium" of contrived entertainment and "must have" consumer items to the masses.
    I think the world, not just America, would have been a better place now without him (though I suppose some other smart-ass would have come up with the same cynical stupidity sooner or later...).

Last Modified By gcarth at 10 Sep 2010 - 3:37 PM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    10 Sep 2010 - 3:37 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Sep 2010 - 3:54 PM

Quote: I think the world, not just America, would have been a better place now without him (though I suppose some other smart-ass would have come up with the same cynical stupidity sooner or later...).

I'll second that, But as you rightly say, Some other greedy manipulative mastermind, Would have figured it out sooner or later......Sad

Guess it will keep rocking until it fried to a crisp by the Sun......Wink

wrinkles
    wrinkles e2 Member 5346 forum postswrinkles vcard United Kingdom
    10 Sep 2010 - 5:09 PM

For what it's worth I dont think the thinking or the manipulative efforts change much in the modern World!Sad

gcarth
    gcarth e2 Member 102255 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Sep 2010 - 6:59 PM

Quote: For what it's worth I dont think the thinking or the manipulative efforts change much in the modern World!Sad

That's right. Power to the people, I say GrinWink Now that sounds a bit hippyish and out of fashion but I seriously think more of that is what is needed.
    Until we have politicians that can be truly answerable to Parliament and the people instead of the rich elite, ordinary people will never move forward.
    Of course the big companies say they are merely responding to demand but of course much of that demand is cleverly created by the companies themselves, and people like Bernays developed the techniques for doing this. More seriously, of course, these techniques were adopted by governments and used to manipulate the electorate.
    Never mind, it's still a fun world to live in...for some people and for some of the time. GrinSad

tomcat
    tomcat e2 Member 85859 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Sep 2010 - 7:27 PM

I would have thought that Hitler, was the master at manipulation etc; etc;

gcarth
    10 Sep 2010 - 10:23 PM

Quote: I would have thought that Hitler, was the master at manipulation etc; etc;

Yes, I think Bernays was influenced by Goebbels and the Nazi use of propaganda. Bernays considered that populations must be kept under control by selling an idea to the public in order to cover up the real motives behind that idea.

tomcat
    tomcat e2 Member 85859 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Sep 2010 - 7:03 AM

That was a total shot in the dark, when I referred to Hitler.
    Thanks for the positive reply Garth.

Adrian

spaceman
    spaceman  105166 forum posts Wales3 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Sep 2010 - 1:10 PM

Pilger on Bernays

gcarth
    11 Sep 2010 - 1:50 PM

Quote: Pilger on Bernays

Yes, this is the very article that spurred me into introducing this topic. I think it's one of Pilger's better articles. I think John Pilger is a beacon of enlightenment who right-wing denialists try to smear, very often using ad-hominem comments instead of a proper argument.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.