Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

One of the saddest days of my life

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85742 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
27 Aug 2013 - 9:18 PM

In tears

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
27 Aug 2013 - 9:18 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
27 Aug 2013 - 9:26 PM

Absolutely.
Please sign the petition here:
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/38257

mikehit
mikehit e2 Member 45758 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
27 Aug 2013 - 10:05 PM

I have my reservations about the cull. But what infuriated me this morning is hearing that there will be no tests on the badgers to see how many are carrying TB and there will be no phenotype testing to look at the strains of TB which are prevalent vs those in cattle. Given the doubts in the scientific report about the potential effectiveness (or, rather, lack of) I wold have thought this would be the least we could expect.
This sounds more and more like a sop to the farmers rather than a genuine control measure.

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122042 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
27 Aug 2013 - 10:55 PM

Sorry. Saddest day of my life was when my father/mother/best friend passed away. I love animals dearly but I do think I have things in perspective. From what I have read culling is the only feasible solution. It has worked in other countries and therefore it is probably the way to go. What is the difference between slaughtering badgers and slaughtering cattle? A horrible disease which hopefully will soon disappear.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214381 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
27 Aug 2013 - 11:05 PM

I hand reared rescued badgers and never once came across any animal with TB, but if there is no other way I`m all for it.

monstersnowman
27 Aug 2013 - 11:23 PM

Just out of interest Paul, would it even be readily apparent to you, without testing, that one of the badgers you reared actually had TB not to mention having not developed it but merely was a carrier, therefore showing no symptoms and would being hand reared & young mean they are far less likely to have the disease than grown badgers travelling out at night and mixing with other badgers?

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214381 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
27 Aug 2013 - 11:57 PM

Quote: Just out of interest Paul, would it even be readily apparent to you

Yes, now go away Smile

monstersnowman
28 Aug 2013 - 12:30 AM

I'll take that as a no then ... Wink Grin

Last Modified By monstersnowman at 28 Aug 2013 - 12:32 AM
Paul Morgan
28 Aug 2013 - 12:49 AM

Not sure what your getting at munster, but us included can carry diseases, not show any signs but still pass them on.

If there is no other way, than a cull is for the best, don`t you agree.

At this present time I`m with Malcolm on this subject, I have far more pressing things to worry about.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 28 Aug 2013 - 12:53 AM
monstersnowman
28 Aug 2013 - 12:55 AM

I hadnt actually disagreed with you. At present, with my very limited knowledge, i think a cull is worth a try seeing as five times as many cattle are destroyed each year at present ... I genuinely asked a question of you because i was seeking a sensible reply, rather than "yes, now go away" ...

Paul Morgan
28 Aug 2013 - 1:25 AM

I just think the numbers need bringing down to a manageable level first, then start looking at ways at controlling the disease, looking at vaccine`s and so on.

The farmer and his cattle has to come first.

mikehit
mikehit e2 Member 45758 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
28 Aug 2013 - 8:07 AM

One counter argument I heard is that the foot and mouth outbreak in 2001 led to the slaughter of a huge proportion of the 'national herd' and it was restocked from cattle based in the South West. Although this region had escaped the worst of the F&M outbreak, it is a hotspot for TB. The restocking was considered so important that cattle were distributed round the country with no testing and no traceability. Up to 2001, TB had been dropping but started rising again since then. It may be a coincidence but this combined with the scientific doubts about the effectiveness of a cull make the total lack of scientific rigour totally baffling. Methinks the NFU is scared of what it would show and they have pressured the government.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014554 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
28 Aug 2013 - 8:30 AM

I was just going to mention Foot and Mouth...

I bet the farmers who lost everything may have been similarly sad

jondf
jondf  72470 forum posts
28 Aug 2013 - 11:03 AM

Quote: Methinks the NFU is scared of what it would show and they have pressured the government.

If one accepts farmers as being Tories to a man, there could be some truth in it...

mikehit
28 Aug 2013 - 11:08 AM

Why do they have to be Tories...?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.