Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

One of the saddest days of my life

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

graceland
graceland  92376 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
28 Aug 2013 - 4:55 PM

Quote: Absolutely.
Please sign the petition here:
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/38257

done

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Aug 2013 - 4:55 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

monstersnowman
28 Aug 2013 - 5:18 PM

Quote: Methinks the NFU is scared of what it would show and they have pressured the government.

If one accepts farmers as being Tories to a man, there could be some truth in it...

Most ridiculous, baseless and pointless comment I've read for ages.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
29 Aug 2013 - 8:35 AM

Quote: A statement from Simon King

"Why the killing of badgers to combat bTB is a travesty:

1. The problem is bTB in cattle, effecting a massive industry and individual farmers. The problem is not badgers.
2. The Independent Science Group (funded by government) conducted a 10 year study, costing the taxpayer £50 million and resulting in the killing of 11,000 badgers, to establish whether killing badgers could make a meaningful contribution to the control of bTB in England. The unequivocal conclusion was that it could not.
3. The oft quoted example of the Republic of Ireland reducing bTB in cattle through a sustained cull of badgers (regularly used by Owen Paterson as proof of the efficacy of killing badgers to control bTB) is erroneous. Precisely the same level of reduction has been achieved over the border in Northern Ireland with no such cull. This is because in both regions, stricter control of cattle movement, testing and biosecurity measures have been implemented. In 2012 the Irish government spent €3.4million on culling badgers resulting in 55 fewer incidences of bTB in cattle than the previous year. That equates to a cost of €61,818 per cow below last year’s figure.
4. bTB can and is carried by virtually any warm blooded animal. That includes deer, hedgehogs, rats, domestic cats, rabbits, etc. The vast majority of badgers in England are bTB free.
5. Recent work by Dr Pieter Kat and LionAid has shown that the ‘variety’ of bTB in cattle and badgers that live in close proximity is frequently different. This proves that cross species infection was not the reason for the cattle contracting the disease and further adds to the argument that we do not understand the pathogen sufficiently well to be spending millions of pounds and taking 10s of 1000s of innocent lives to combat the disease.
6. Current EU legislation prevents us from STARTING the trial of BCG vaccine in cattle, a trial that is commonly sited as taking 10 years. This same trial has been stalled for at least 10 years already. We should urge our government to put enormous pressure on the EU to provide exemption to start these trials. Also, the use of the DIVA test, also banned by EU legislation, could differentiate between cattle that have been vaccinated and those that have the disease. The test exists now, it is simply that the EU do not recognise it.

WE SHOULD

Put an immediate halt to the killing of badgers.

Implement stricter control on the movement and testing of cattle.

Implement higher levels of stewardship on cattle farms, particularly intensive feed lots, to reduce stress in the livestock.

Implement stricter biosecurity measures on farms to prevent badgers and other wild animals entering feed lots.

Put pressure on the EU to provide exemption and allow the use of the BCG vaccine on cattle.

Put pressure on the EU to allow the use of the DIVA test on cattle.

Continue to fund a vaccination programme for badgers and fund research into and oral vaccine for badgers.

Provide funding to study the epidemiology of bTB to better understand the disease and how it is contracted by cattle and other animals.

Simon King, August 2013."

779HOB
779HOB  21002 forum posts United Kingdom
29 Aug 2013 - 12:47 PM

Quote: In tears

I've been reading many many people on Twitter saying this sort of thing. If it's that upsetting why are you all at home crying and not out in the cull zone?

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014734 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
29 Aug 2013 - 12:49 PM

Quote: In tears

I've been reading many many people on Twitter saying this sort of thing. If it's that upsetting why are you all at home crying and not out in the cull zone?

yeah - if it's that devastating, go and stand in front of a few badger setts - put your pain to use!

779HOB
779HOB  21002 forum posts United Kingdom
29 Aug 2013 - 1:04 PM

I live in the cull zone and have been covering it for the WMN. The media out numbered the protesters 2 to 1 I would think.

If you believed the tweets being put out by the stop the cull people you'd think the hills of Exmoor where full of the sounds of screaming badgers and gunfire. They are not.

I have been out every night, pretty much all night. I was in fact in two of the locations at the times they are saying there were badger screams and gunfire. There weren't. There were however people talking in the woods followed by some poor attempts at making a screaming noise.

The only thing I suspect that's been killed in the cull zone this week is the protest itself.

Last night the Bristol hunt sabs posted that they had cancelled their trip to Somerset because of a lack of numbers. One of the main vocal people at Camp Badger last night said, as she drove out peacefully after being asked to leave by the landowner, "I'm going home" When asked the other night about the numbers she said "it's been really hard to get people interested"

The media are so bored of it now that I was sent a two word brief from a news desk (not the WMN) it simply read : Punch up. I did nearly get that when Jay Teirnan told me to F off and that I was taking the p+ss after I took his photo at the camp eviction.

jondf
jondf  72474 forum posts
29 Aug 2013 - 6:46 PM

Quote: Most ridiculous, baseless and pointless comment I've read for ages.

Really? The bulwark Tory strongholds remain in the countryside, where they've always been. Farmers are an intrinsic part of the countryside, generally self-employed business people and Tory through and through. Why d'you think that historically, so many Tory MPs were farmers? I'll tell you ....because they were encouraged to do so by the party to ensure like-minded souls maintained the countryside status quo. The Tories would be no-where without the sticks vote.

Rev2
Rev2  4212 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
29 Aug 2013 - 7:10 PM

Quote: yeah - if it's that devastating, go and stand in front of a few badger setts - put your pain to use!

Like that's going to stop them. I bought my first pint of goats milk today and some of that soya milk. That won't stop the cull either though I'm dammed if I'm giving my money to anyone who's going to profit out of this ridiculous propaganda campaign.

The amount of rubbish spewing out of the so-called experts' mouths is incredible e.g. "there's no T.B. in the Isle of Man and there's no badgers either". WRONG. There are no Badgers in the Isle of Man, check the DEFRA site to check the first lie.

"We've learnt from the Australians and New Zealanders who've used the same tactic". WRONG, there are no Badgers in either country. I doubt if Joe Public checks the accuracy of these comments, a man hears what he wants to hear...

This is a general photographic site not a wildlife site so I'll excuse the ignorant comments from those who don't have a clue on such matters.

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122204 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
29 Aug 2013 - 8:17 PM

Quote: "We've learnt from the Australians and New Zealanders who've used the same tactic". WRONG, there are no Badgers in either country. I doubt if Joe Public checks the accuracy of these comments, a man hears what he wants to hear...

Correct. In New Zealand they have culled possums which are the TB carriers, to some effect. Likewise in Australia I believe. That's why they are trying this tactic with badgers.

mikehit
mikehit  46179 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
29 Aug 2013 - 8:53 PM

Quote: Most ridiculous, baseless and pointless comment I've read for ages.

Really? The bulwark Tory strongholds remain in the countryside, where they've always been. Farmers are an intrinsic part of the countryside, generally self-employed business people and Tory through and through. Why d'you think that historically, so many Tory MPs were farmers? I'll tell you ....because they were encouraged to do so by the party to ensure like-minded souls maintained the countryside status quo. The Tories would be no-where without the sticks vote.

But what has that got to do with the comment I made about a sop to the farmers? All governments have been scared of the power of the NFU.

Rev2
29 Aug 2013 - 9:10 PM

Quote: "We've learnt from the Australians and New Zealanders who've used the same tactic". WRONG, there are no Badgers in either country. I doubt if Joe Public checks the accuracy of these comments, a man hears what he wants to hear...

Correct. In New Zealand they have culled possums which are the TB carriers, to some effect. Likewise in Australia I believe. That's why they are trying this tactic with badgers.

Really??? How often do tree-dwelling possums come into contact with cattle? There are few trees and even fewer possums on cattle ranches in Australia.

Where did you get this (dis) information from?

Rev2
29 Aug 2013 - 9:21 PM

Don't bother, I found it myself. They were introduced possums meant to start a fur trade in NZ. Another man-made catastrophe just like BSE.

Last Modified By Rev2 at 29 Aug 2013 - 9:22 PM
jondf
jondf  72474 forum posts
29 Aug 2013 - 9:45 PM

Quote: But what has that got to do with the comment I made about a sop to the farmers? All governments have been scared of the power of the NFU.

Ok, go back a step. What did you mean by 'pressured the government'? Lobbied them? Brought pressure to bear? Put them under pressure so the NFU could get its own way or hide something? Which...?

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014032 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
29 Aug 2013 - 9:48 PM

Quote: Don't bother, I found it myself. They were introduced possums meant to start a fur trade in NZ. Another man-made catastrophe just like BSE.

Your not kidding, everywhere we went in NZ the story was the same - possums were destroying the local ecology.
Conservation seemed to come down to fencing off areas, eradicating all the possums then setting traps to stop them getting back in.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314949 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
29 Aug 2013 - 10:09 PM

The biggest problem by far for us in the UK is the American Mink, could they also be spreading TB.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.