Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

One of the saddest days of my life

Overread 6 3.9k 18 England
30 Aug 2013 11:55AM
Forgot to mention (and can't edit in now)
Our biggest problem though is education - we treat natural studies as a rather childish or optional component of our education system and we only teach the very basics when young and as we get older the component reduces until almost nothing is taught unless you opt for it.

AS a result the vast number of people have very little to nothing in the way of even very basic understanding which directly harms any approach to then put into practice or take serious these issues.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

779HOB 2 1.1k United Kingdom
30 Aug 2013 1:09PM

Quote:Yes it does but once we have sorted the Badger problem out can we then start on the Feral Foxes

I think the next big cull planned is the deer in Devon from the news I saw the other day.
keith selmes 11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
30 Aug 2013 1:44PM
Must be big if it gets in the news.
Reporting a deer cull in Devon at this time of year is a like reporting it snowed in Scotland during the winter.
Maybe the price of venison will come down.
jondf 8 2.7k
30 Aug 2013 6:30PM

Quote:This I am sure will bring comments about...........gun crazy killing machines

Please! .....this isn't America ....yet
gcarth e2
10 2.3k 1 United Kingdom
1 Sep 2013 11:59AM

Quote:Please! .....this isn't America ....yet
Isn't it? Well it often seems to me as if we are the 51st state of the US! Sad
We are certainly getting closer to that scenario all the time...
However, before we get on to politics, I have to say the whole badger thing seems very muddled but I agree with Mike in saying that we should cull some badgers and test those we have already culled to see if they have TB before culling any further.
Overread 6 3.9k 18 England
1 Sep 2013 2:34PM
Didn't we already do that in Wales and didn't the studies there show that it had little to no effect on the bovian spread of TB?
jondf 8 2.7k
1 Sep 2013 7:10PM

Quote:Isn't it?

....well, I did say yet

The saying loosely goes that what happens in the US will happen in the UK ten years later. There's little doubt that we're influenced by that country but I think the ten-year rule applies most heavily in the retail sector sense insofar as what we buy and consume. The UK social and political landscape makes us a different kettle of fish.
779HOB 2 1.1k United Kingdom
1 Sep 2013 9:19PM
Might be a bit cheeky, if so Mods delete the post. Thought I would share my blog post on the cull here in Somerset. I've spent some time out and about this last week not getting much sleep and just trying to follow it all.

Anyhow, here it is if anyone is interested.

Link to blog
answersonapostcard e2
10 12.7k 15 United Kingdom
1 Sep 2013 9:39PM
Its fine, its relevant to the thread, and an excellent insight so thanks for posting.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
2 Sep 2013 12:19AM
Very relevant and a good read Andy.
Gaucho e2
13 2.4k 2 United Kingdom
2 Sep 2013 7:38AM
That is a very nicely balanced read. Thank you.
lemmy 7 2.0k United Kingdom
3 Sep 2013 8:57AM
We suffer as ever from the British disease of all or nothing syndrome. It is obviously best to have farmers control the problem rather than a mass cull which is expensive, inefficient and cannot be quantified. But in the past many farmers have tended not to control wild life but eradicate it from their land.

So we end up with either kill them all or no control at all.
tomcat e2
9 6.2k 15 United Kingdom
3 Sep 2013 9:40PM
A quote from the latest BBC news update

Initially the pilot will not examine how successful culling has been in reducing the spread of TB to livestock.

Instead, it will test whether the cull can be carried out "effectively, humanely and safely".

Surely full risk assessments have been carried out before anything occurred

Obviously DEFRA is above the H & S law of the land, or is someone else controlling this, who is immune from normal procedures

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.