Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

One of the saddest days of my life

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Overread
Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
30 Aug 2013 - 11:55 AM

Forgot to mention (and can't edit in now)
Our biggest problem though is education - we treat natural studies as a rather childish or optional component of our education system and we only teach the very basics when young and as we get older the component reduces until almost nothing is taught unless you opt for it.

AS a result the vast number of people have very little to nothing in the way of even very basic understanding which directly harms any approach to then put into practice or take serious these issues.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
30 Aug 2013 - 11:55 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

779HOB
779HOB  21018 forum posts United Kingdom
30 Aug 2013 - 1:09 PM

Quote: Yes it does but once we have sorted the Badger problem out can we then start on the Feral Foxes

I think the next big cull planned is the deer in Devon from the news I saw the other day.

keith selmes
30 Aug 2013 - 1:44 PM

Must be big if it gets in the news.
Reporting a deer cull in Devon at this time of year is a like reporting it snowed in Scotland during the winter.
Maybe the price of venison will come down.

jondf
jondf  82475 forum posts
30 Aug 2013 - 6:30 PM

Quote: This I am sure will bring comments about...........gun crazy killing machines

Please! .....this isn't America ....yet

gcarth
gcarth e2 Member 102286 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
1 Sep 2013 - 11:59 AM

Quote: Please! .....this isn't America ....yet

Isn't it? Well it often seems to me as if we are the 51st state of the US! Sad
We are certainly getting closer to that scenario all the time...
However, before we get on to politics, I have to say the whole badger thing seems very muddled but I agree with Mike in saying that we should cull some badgers and test those we have already culled to see if they have TB before culling any further.

Overread
Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
1 Sep 2013 - 2:34 PM

Didn't we already do that in Wales and didn't the studies there show that it had little to no effect on the bovian spread of TB?

jondf
jondf  82475 forum posts
1 Sep 2013 - 7:10 PM

Quote: Isn't it?

....well, I did say yet

The saying loosely goes that what happens in the US will happen in the UK ten years later. There's little doubt that we're influenced by that country but I think the ten-year rule applies most heavily in the retail sector sense insofar as what we buy and consume. The UK social and political landscape makes us a different kettle of fish.

779HOB
779HOB  21018 forum posts United Kingdom
1 Sep 2013 - 9:19 PM

Might be a bit cheeky, if so Mods delete the post. Thought I would share my blog post on the cull here in Somerset. I've spent some time out and about this last week not getting much sleep and just trying to follow it all.

Anyhow, here it is if anyone is interested.

Link to blog

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012601 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
1 Sep 2013 - 9:39 PM

Its fine, its relevant to the thread, and an excellent insight so thanks for posting.

Last Modified By answersonapostcard at 1 Sep 2013 - 9:39 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315182 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
2 Sep 2013 - 12:19 AM

Very relevant and a good read Andy.

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122230 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
2 Sep 2013 - 7:38 AM

That is a very nicely balanced read. Thank you.

lemmy
lemmy  71831 forum posts United Kingdom
3 Sep 2013 - 8:57 AM

We suffer as ever from the British disease of all or nothing syndrome. It is obviously best to have farmers control the problem rather than a mass cull which is expensive, inefficient and cannot be quantified. But in the past many farmers have tended not to control wild life but eradicate it from their land.

So we end up with either kill them all or no control at all.

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85912 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
3 Sep 2013 - 9:40 PM

A quote from the latest BBC news update

Initially the pilot will not examine how successful culling has been in reducing the spread of TB to livestock.

Instead, it will test whether the cull can be carried out "effectively, humanely and safely".

Surely full risk assessments have been carried out before anything occurred

Obviously DEFRA is above the H & S law of the land, or is someone else controlling this, who is immune from normal procedures

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.