Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

One to get the blood boiling

Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
25 Jul 2014 8:13PM

Quote:So, in order to put this thread more in line with current t&c's, it has now been moved to the Digital Imaging forum, where linking to the site showing the techniques used is appropriate to the thread, and therefore permissible.

Which, all the time it's listed under "Recent activity" won't really make a scrap of difference, except to appease a few people.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

bricurtis e2
9 1.9k 48 England
25 Jul 2014 8:20PM

Quote:Links actively promoting members own websites and threads opened for this purpose will be removed

actively promoting - is a matter of opinion.
for this purpose - also a matter of opinion

So the T&C's are not set out to be used ad verbatim..... just there for any moderators interpretation of them.
saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
25 Jul 2014 8:20PM

Quote:The T&Cs need to be rewritten, or swept under the carpet, anyway.
Far too often links, posts and entire threads get chopped to bits or deleted on the premise that they somehow break the rules or, more likely, offend a fragile ego or two.
Mods. need to be allowed to used their judgement and apply sanctions where they're really required but equally, use their discretion first.

Moderators:
If we enforce the rules to the letter, we get accused of being jackboot polishing nazis who get off on the power. If we let things go, then we are accused of applying the rules selectively.
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
25 Jul 2014 8:27PM
Sounds like parliamentary practices. Grin
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
25 Jul 2014 8:27PM
If you all don't shut-up and get back on topic, someone is going to lock this valuable thread. Imo, anyone has a right to question things, but it this case it brought the thread to a standstill. Make a thread for protesting.
saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
25 Jul 2014 8:30PM

Quote:So, in order to put this thread more in line with current t&c's, it has now been moved to the Digital Imaging forum, where linking to the site showing the techniques used is appropriate to the thread, and therefore permissible.
Which, all the time it's listed under "Recent activity" won't really make a scrap of difference, except to appease a few people.

If you are going to to inspect every thread and post for rule-breaking then you need to first look at which forum it is posted in.
Certain things are (currently) allowed in some forum sections but not in others.
Now, I am not saying that is completely fair, but as per today that's the way it is.
All posts, regardless of origin appear under the recent activity if they are fresh enough, so I don't really get your point here.
petebfrance 2 1.3k United Kingdom
25 Jul 2014 8:30PM

Quote:..

3c. Links actively promoting members own websites and threads opened for this purpose will be removed from all but the Website Showcase category. Links to personal websites can be allowed in other categories if relevant to the subject being discussed and in the case of adding your own link, only if you are an active e2 member.

so is Ade an active E2 member? ( he asks innocently having checked)

Quote:...
Moderators:
If we enforce the rules to the letter, we get accused of being jackboot polishing nazis who get off on the power. If we let things go, then we are accused of applying the rules selectively.

If the rules are applied consistently then nobody can justifiably complain. Anybody making those accusations (jackboot polishing nazis) is no doubt in breach of some or other terms and condition, so consistent application of the T&C's should take care of it. Being a bit unpopular occasionally is, I'm afraid, an occupational hazard of being a moderator - not a role for the overly-sensitive, I'm afraid.
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
25 Jul 2014 8:38PM
Sometimes, when someone has put innumerable hours into a site both official and as a member, you have to go with the swing. Had the link been to Tommy Buttons Photo Club, no one would have batted an eye.

Forums have been busier in the last few days than they have been weeks.
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
25 Jul 2014 8:42PM
Hhhmm, have we forgotten who started this controversy? We all benefited from Ade's input before someone decided to play forum police. But if the rules were followed consistently then this deviation wouldn't have happened.
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
25 Jul 2014 8:43PM
I found the link very useful, and I would not have discovered it had it been posted in a blog. I also like the idea, as I move into the editing method, of being able to discuss it, and learn more.
saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
25 Jul 2014 8:43PM

Quote:If the rules are applied consistently then nobody can justifiably complain. Anybody making those accusations (jackboot polishing nazis) is no doubt in breach of some or other terms and condition, so consistent application of the T&C's should take care of it. Being a bit unpopular occasionally is, I'm afraid, an occupational hazard of being a moderator - not a role for the overly-sensitive, I'm afraid.

You see, that's the problem. If the Moderator team were to apply every single rule to the letter 24/7 then the forums would have died a death a long time ago and members that contribute to a lively debate would all have been banned.

You mention popularity. Where did you get that from? I merely mentioned that we Mods are damned if we do and damned if we don't. Nothing to do with being overly-sensitive.
And yes, 'jackboot polishing nazis' has been used, but we merely polished our campaign medals instead to make us feel better.Wink. If we were to react every time someone made such a comment the forum would be bereft of members PDQ.
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
25 Jul 2014 8:44PM
Hey! This is like the good old days. Smile
bricurtis e2
9 1.9k 48 England
25 Jul 2014 8:46PM

Quote:Forums have been busier in the last few days than they have been weeks.

I thought I would try and help out Keith.Wink
petebfrance 2 1.3k United Kingdom
25 Jul 2014 8:47PM

Quote:Sometimes, when someone has put innumerable hours into a site both official and as a member, you have to go with the swing. Had the link been to Tommy Buttons Photo Club, no one would have batted an eye.

Forums have been busier in the last few days than they have been weeks.

I worked on an RAF site for some years. There was a path running from a building at right- angles, and everyone took a short-cut. The RAF response was to concrete the worn area and create the path where all these people walked. In other words, reuglarising(French, really, not sure what that should be in English) the situation.
Do the same here. You have Moderators, a Critique Team and what have you, why not something else which would allow this sort of privelege? One size does not always suit all....
kraggy 9
25 Jul 2014 8:48PM
As a newbie to DSLRs (but long in the tooth) and this site I find all the articles helpful - thanks folks!
HDR? Wassat?Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.