Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

One to get the blood boiling

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64435 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2014 - 9:37 PM

Now we're on another completely different subject. Smile Recent Activity is my default view on the forums I don't see the necessity for much else really.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Jul 2014 - 9:37 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Chris_L
Chris_L e2 Member 905 forum postsChris_L vcard United Kingdom
25 Jul 2014 - 9:38 PM

I've just read this and here4years is right

Ade could have posted the topic here but instead he posted it on his blog then he posted a link here. Then he nudged the convo along.

It's against the rules, change the rules. Allow members to do what he's done. There are loads of loyal members who put links to ePz on their website when they made them. People like Ade, Keith and others have done loads of critique, forum help and advice and Christ knows what over many, many years. Give them something back. They don't even get free e2.

Jestertheclown
25 Jul 2014 - 9:45 PM

Quote: Recent Activity is my default view on the forums I don't see the necessity for much else really.

Same here, simply because it's the easiest (only?) way to access the most recent activity but I can understand that if someone was only interested in something specific, they'd presumably head for the appropriate manageable sub-section.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64435 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2014 - 9:48 PM

Like what? Latest topics, hot topics? Can't think why anyone would specifically want those. You can connect to topics you're particularly interested in but the forums aren't that busy that you'd need to.

Last Modified By SlowSong at 25 Jul 2014 - 9:50 PM
JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53627 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2014 - 9:49 PM

Ade and his hints are one of the main reason i like epHotozine and in part why i became an e2 member. Even his story or turning pro has been encouraging - I'm a fan of what he does, and would not like this stop. And anyway if you are giving something valuable then 1 possible extra Google ranking is a very small price to pay for so many contributions.

Here is another HDR related epz article from a guy called Ken Kaminesky. I'm sure some here might consider this overdone but others will say its amazing.

Jestertheclown
25 Jul 2014 - 9:56 PM

Quote: Like what? Latest topics, hot topics? Can't think why anyone would specifically want those.

Neither can I and I suspect, in reality, neither can very many others.

What I meant was that someone might be looking for advice on a specific printer or a vacuum cleaner or something which might be in the printer or vacuum cleaner section but hasn't generated sufficient momentum to stay in the "Recent activity" bit.

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014813 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2014 - 9:56 PM

Wouldn't it make sense to encourage links, input, tutorials, or whatever, by members, rather than have us linking to outside sites, which I do all the time?

SlowSong
25 Jul 2014 - 9:59 PM

Quote: What I meant was that someone might be looking for advice on a specific printer or a vacuum cleaner or something which might be in the printer or vacuum cleaner section but hasn't generated sufficient momentum to stay in the "Recent activity" bit.

Well you can do a search for specific things like that. I doubt many people do that, but it's there if you want it.

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43917 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway25 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2014 - 9:59 PM

Quote: Like what? Latest topics, hot topics? Can't think why anyone would specifically want those. You can connect to topics you're particularly interested in but the forums aren't that busy that you'd need to.

???
A new member, or a casual visitor might want info/help on a Tamron lens then he can go directly to that sub-forum. It might not appear amongst the recent activity, so using that as a starting point is useless.

Jestertheclown
25 Jul 2014 - 10:08 PM

Quote: A new member, or a casual visitor might want info/help on a Tamron lens then he can go directly to that sub-forum

Sort of, actually they'd have to go directly to the site map first, then find the sub-section "Community" and then the sub-section "Totally Tamron."
Which rather reiterates my point from yesterday that if you don't know where the site map is . . .

In fact, why isn't it somewhere prominent on the home page? I assume that's where people who come here for the first time find themselves?

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012604 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2014 - 10:10 PM

Quote: actually they'd have to go directly to the site map first,

no they wouldnt, thats just you Wink

most people find the appropriate forum.

SlowSong
25 Jul 2014 - 10:11 PM

Well just type in your query in the query box, wherever that is. Now, that could be made more prominent.

Last Modified By SlowSong at 25 Jul 2014 - 10:12 PM
answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012604 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2014 - 10:12 PM

yes that could be more prominent, big search box that would be lovely

Chris_L
Chris_L e2 Member 905 forum postsChris_L vcard United Kingdom
25 Jul 2014 - 10:14 PM

Quote: hasn't generated sufficient momentum to stay in the "Recent activity" bit.

Yes true, you can go through several pages of recent activity and find them, but not many of us can be bothered, there used to be a link to "unanswered topics", it was good to go and help out people who'd had none. Some subjects disappear. Some subjects don't appear in recent activity if you aren't logged in.....

Remember ages ago (before January I think), reading lots of members stating that "Recent Activity" was their landing page of choice.

It's easy to see why, the day before you'd have read and/or contributed to half a dozen subjects that were in separate forums, recent activity quickest place to catch up on them instead of going through each forum one at a time, trying to remember which were in what forum

Last Modified By Chris_L at 25 Jul 2014 - 10:16 PM
lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014143 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2014 - 10:21 PM

Quote: Yes that could be more prominent, big search box that would be lovely

In the new "responsive" pages it is (if there is space on the screen):

25-07-2014-22-19-23.jpg

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.