Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

"only UK entries are eligible" ..

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
senn
senn e2 Member 3senn vcard Belgium1 Constructive Critique Points
13 Sep 2013 - 4:19 PM

About the (Canon's) “ wildlife photography comp
I won’t enter this competition because I don’t have a UK address (.. sorry !); .. furthermore, I perceive this rule such an un-subtle segregation; .. then must I put, there are two categories of EPZ members and I belong to the lower one. I think, to stay honest EPZ admin must have the courage to include into the announcement title of this pseudo-challenge the mention “for UK residents only”.
Stop e-mailing me for this kind of hypocrisies.
Thanks.

Nuri Senemek (Belgium)

Last Modified By senn at 13 Sep 2013 - 4:22 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 Sep 2013 - 4:19 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014714 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
13 Sep 2013 - 4:50 PM

Nuri, you have to view competitions like this as advertising, and in a sense it is localised. You need to search the Canon site for your area for your local competitions. It has nothing to do with Epz, it's the sponsors call. Since Epz is probably 90 percent UK membership, (a guess), it makes sense, sort of.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43852 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway23 Constructive Critique Points
13 Sep 2013 - 4:57 PM

Sponsored competitions mean that the sponsor makes the rules, not ePz.
If the sponsor - in this case Canon - are not prepared to pay the extra costs of shipping abroad, then ePz has no say in that decision.
Blame the sponsoring company, not ePz.

I am fortunate as I have family in the UK and can give their address for competition purposes...something that is allowed.

Malc

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014714 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
13 Sep 2013 - 5:02 PM

It must be expensive to ship a broad.Tongue

senn
13 Sep 2013 - 5:06 PM

Quote: Sponsored competitions mean that the sponsor makes the rules, not ePz.
If the sponsor - in this case Canon - are not prepared to pay the extra costs of shipping abroad, then ePz has no say in that decision.
Blame the sponsoring company, not ePz.

I am fortunate as I have family in the UK and can give their address for competition purposes...something that is allowed.

Malc

thanks .. but I think you put different way StrayCat's comment ..

Last Modified By senn at 13 Sep 2013 - 5:07 PM
senn
13 Sep 2013 - 5:08 PM

Quote: It must be expensive to ship a broad.Tongue

indeed .. WinkSmile

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
13 Sep 2013 - 5:09 PM

It's not about cost of shipping. Worldwide companies have local budgets for such activity. It has to be used at local level and they will only supply to a local winner. That said we have always suggested you find someone in the UK who will accept your prize and forward it on. ePHOTOzine does not discriminate Smile

Last Modified By Pete at 13 Sep 2013 - 5:09 PM
saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43852 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway23 Constructive Critique Points
13 Sep 2013 - 9:13 PM

Quote: I think, to stay honest EPZ admin must have the courage to include into the announcement title of this pseudo-challenge the mention “for UK residents only”.

Senn - if you read the t&cs attached to every competition, you will see if the competition is open to only UK residents or to members in other countries. It is always specified,

Malc

senn
13 Sep 2013 - 9:42 PM

Quote: I think, to stay honest EPZ admin must have the courage to include into the announcement title of this pseudo-challenge the mention “for UK residents only”.

Senn - if you read the t&cs attached to every competition, you will see if the competition is open to only UK residents or to members in other countries. It is always specified,

Malc

NO ! I do not read "t&cs attached to every competition" cause EPZ is not all my life.. and I've just read this one and it's upset me .. OK ? sorry if that upsets you .. is EPZ that incapable to offer to its "no UK resident" members, who pays every year their membership fees as "UK resident" ones, a UK address for such an occasion .. ? I think you failed here a good occasion to shut it up

Last Modified By senn at 13 Sep 2013 - 9:49 PM
lawbert
lawbert  71713 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
13 Sep 2013 - 9:48 PM

I think senn has a very valid point here

saltireblue
13 Sep 2013 - 9:58 PM

I'm sorry you feel like that, Senn. But I presume you don't buy things online without reading the small print before you give your credit card details, do you?
Entering your images for an online competition is no different. You have to agree to the conditions before entering. You could be signing away all future rights to your images and not know it, all because you didn't read the t&cs.

Please do not blame ePz just because you cannot be bothered to spend 2 minutes reading the entry conditions.

ePz is not incapable of offering its non UK residents specific competitions, but we are dependent on the sponsoring companies offering that option, as it is they that offer the prizes and decide the rules, as Pete explained above.

senn
13 Sep 2013 - 10:19 PM

oh ! just stop creating diversion saltireblue .. for sure one of you and me reads things not properly .. WinkSmile

Last Modified By senn at 13 Sep 2013 - 10:20 PM
StrayCat
13 Sep 2013 - 10:20 PM

I think Senn has a point also. It wouldn't be such a huge effort to do as he says; post a note with the announcement that it is for UK residents only, then we won't bother reading any further, and you may avoid situations such as this one. Another suggestion might be to tell your sponsors that there are 2 or 3 non-UK resident members who frequent the site.

Senn, I have been a member of several sites in the US, and they are exactly the same. Also, I frequently buy American photo magazines, and they will have contests posted in their ads and articles offering great prizes...for residents of the US only.Tongue

I considered moving to the UK, but thought, maybe I won't win anyway.Wink

Denny

llareggub
llareggub  4683 forum posts United Kingdom
13 Sep 2013 - 10:55 PM

I don't get what the problem is, I am sure there are competitions on the web only open to a host of different nationalities, I see bucket loads restricted to the ConUS...

Don't like the rules or can't meet the rules don't play the game, it aint rocket science.

StrayCat
13 Sep 2013 - 11:12 PM

All we're asking is to put the notice up front to save us the trouble of finding it. Not rocket science.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.