Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Open Your Eyes!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason:
UserRemoved
1 Mar 2006 - 6:40 PM

Not far from where I live, a new warship was launched. 605m it cost.

A question springs to mind - why?

Don't you find it strange that the Government are happy to spend tax payers money (ours!) on such a totally useless killing machine, while the NHS waiting lists are now such a disgrace that patients are even travelling abroad for urgent operations!?

Of course, people will say "Oh, but it brings shipbuilding back on the Clyde", but this a feeble argument. It seems we have become an "apathetic" nation, with little interest in the terrible state of the world today. There is a much bigger picture of course. The Middle East has become the centre of Political interest.

Fighting continues in Afghanistan. Iraq is probably on the verge of a civil war. Sectarian hatred is growing ever stronger. Just like Northern Ireland, I believe the army will never leave. Innocent people shall continue to be killed. Soldiers will continue to carry out "torturous acts".

WHY?

Peace,
Yan

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
1 Mar 2006 - 6:40 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

elikag
elikag  9749 forum posts
1 Mar 2006 - 6:55 PM

Quote: A question springs to mind - why?

Because you really, but I mean REALLY, don't want to find yourself with an outdated ship when a war/conflict start.

And you can't build a ship in one month. So you build a ship with hope never to use it. And the fact you owning this ship contributes to the odds of you not using it - paradox, I know, but it's better than the other way around.

Ilia Kagan.

fez
fez  9262 forum posts
1 Mar 2006 - 7:31 PM

Isnt your country's millitary pride in the navy?
There are also a lot of jobs provided in shipyards...and they cant really keep cranking out the old stuff.
Bragging rights are a plus.

That being said, the health system is a shame, but you cant just blame it on something else, if you found ways to cut the budget of other programs, including this, then it may be possible to budget more to health. Allocating a significant amount of money from one source would probably be just as bad of not worse...

but then again, this is only my opinion.

UserRemoved
1 Mar 2006 - 7:52 PM

Quote: Because you really, but I mean REALLY, don't want to find yourself with an outdated ship when a war/conflict start.

You're kidding, right? Wars and conflicts are already happening!

I believe another five of these killing machines have already been ordered! If anything a hospital ship would be a more useful idea with all the killing going on. Does The Royal Navy actually have any I wonder?

And how is a "state of the art" warship going to stop the new threat - suicide bombers?

I am so glad I won't be around for long, that's for sure.

We need another Gandhi I think....

andytvcams
andytvcams  1110396 forum posts United Kingdom
1 Mar 2006 - 9:33 PM

Vote Fjordian for Gandhi Smile

jimbo_t
jimbo_t  10959 forum posts England
1 Mar 2006 - 10:07 PM

At least we have an NHS! You will still get an "urgent" operation here, but the NHS tends to prefer performing life saving operations over things like knee replacements.
To put it another way, if you get hit by a car today you can be pretty sure that a surgeon will do a very good job of patching you up, for free, and won't make you wait until he has done his routine work!!!!
As far as the warship is concerned; I know I feel safer knowing that our goverment is sensible enough to invest in defence!
Ghandie?........ My arse!!!!
Jim

Graysta
Graysta  91118 forum posts England
1 Mar 2006 - 10:08 PM

new hospital ship due to be ordered as curent HMS- NHS is sinking but there is a waiting list due to the orders for warships

UserRemoved
1 Mar 2006 - 10:34 PM

Quote: Ghandie?........ My arse!!!!

Ouch! Sounds painful. You'd best see a Proctologist about that! Ask the Practitioner to rub ointment on the hole that hurts the most!!!

Yan Smile

c_evans99
c_evans99  107013 forum posts Wales1 Constructive Critique Points
1 Mar 2006 - 11:48 PM

Britain has a role within NATO that's based on our naval power - as well as being 'killing machines' RN ships help to police the world's waters against drug trafficking and piracy (it still goes on), as well as supporting humanitarian and peacekeeping missions - in fact many of the things that contribute to the 'terrible state of the world today'.

It would be lovely to be able to pour all the nation's wealth into the health service but there will always be waiting lists, and expensive new tests and treatments. Of course I may not be seeing the 'bigger picture'.

Ceri

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012491 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
1 Mar 2006 - 11:53 PM

The bigger picture is that without these defence machines we may not have a health service. There are always nations with more money than sense willing to invade a neighbouring country weaker than themselves. Without a defence force better than your 'next door neighbour' you leave yourself wide open to hostility.

Our forces do a tremendous job around the world and its often only the bad apples that get highlighted, just like any profession you get a few bad ones and the whole system is critiscised.

keithh
keithh  1022557 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
1 Mar 2006 - 11:56 PM

I bet it photographs well....

FatHandedChap
2 Mar 2006 - 12:01 AM

At least they're not being built in Japan.

6 vessels to be built on the Clyde must be a massive boost for the local economy.

Miles Herbert
2 Mar 2006 - 12:02 AM

LOL @ Keith... nahhh... looks a bit flat and featureless to me, needs a good mist and maybe a sunset!

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012491 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
2 Mar 2006 - 12:03 AM

... or a few uniformed men... that would be nice..

Miles Herbert
2 Mar 2006 - 12:05 AM

hel'lo sailor!

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: